Coronavirus - Part Two.

5 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Where are you getting 25% from?

Here - one of the most respected Health research groups;

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/projects/time-think-differently/trends-disease-and-disability-long-term-conditions-multi-morbidity

Edited by Longcol

7 minutes ago, melthebell said:

so youd rather they are imprisoned rather than the fit idiots that think theyre ok and can act selfishly?

Clearly not, as I said they should have the right to not self-isolate- it's their choice. I expect most would, as it makes sense. They would then be as safe as it's possible to be, while everyone else gets on with keeping the economy going. 

8 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

I've no problem with vulnerable people shielding [if they choose to, equally, if they choose not to, that's their decision]. It makes far more sense for the vulnerable to be in quaranteen, rather that everyone.

2 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Clearly not, as I said they should have the right to not self-isolate- it's their choice. I expect most would, as it makes sense. They would then be as safe as it's possible to be, while everyone else gets on with keeping the economy going. 

Then theres the ones who dont know they have an underlying health problem until they catch Covid then its too late, they cant go back, as i said you look at things very simply

Edited by melthebell

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

That's about long term conditions. People with long term conditions are not necessarily especially vulnerable to covid. Being autistic as I am,  is a life long condition- I'm not especially vulnerable to covid.

Obesity, diabetes, heart conditions, elderly etc- they're vulnerable.

1 minute ago, melthebell said:

Then theres the ones who dont know they have an underlying health problem until they catch Covid then its too late, they cant go back

Obviously, I'm talking about the vulnerable who do know they have an underlying condition that makes them susceptible- it makes sense for them to self isolate, rather than quaranteen everyone [thus causing economic devastation and the ensuing mortality]

37 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

We'll see. I'm betting they won't get that high.

Yes, but you are betting with other people’s grandmothers.

Are you sure that’s ok?

12 minutes ago, Longcol said:

That's about 25% of the population of England, Where is the infrastrucure to ensure they get food deliveries etc? Who is going to do their jobs presuming they're not retired?

I’m back to self imposed shielding, not overweight or diabetic but have a longstanding lung condition. Fortunately I’m retired, have priority access to on line shopping and supportive family and friends. Not every person classified as ‘extremely vulnerable to the virus ‘ had the same advantages and won’t receive support to shield unless government orders it

Edited by catmiss
Typo

1 minute ago, onewheeldave said:

That's about long term conditions. People with long term conditions are not necessarily especially vulnerable to covid. Being autistic as I am,  is a life long condition- I'm not especially vulnerable to covid.

Didn't you read the first paragraph of the link?

"About 15 million people in England have a long-term condition (1). Long-term conditions or chronic diseases are conditions for which there is currently no cure, and which are managed with drugs and other treatment, for example: diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, arthritis and hypertension."

21 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

You got a link?

Do you have a link for all of the dangerous nonsense you’ve been spouting tonight?

9 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Obviously, I'm talking about the vulnerable who do know they have an underlying condition that makes them susceptible- it makes sense for them to self isolate, rather than quaranteen everyone [thus causing economic devastation and the ensuing mortality]

There we have the problem, in a nutshell.

I’m not in a vulnerable group, so I’m not going to do anything about this crisis.

Jeez. Buy a mirror. 

5 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Do you have a link for all of the dangerous nonsense you’ve been spouting tonight?

Still waiting for a response to "fine scientific minds" who disagree with aspects of lockdown.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/93/?tab=comments#comment-8368027

Again not looked recently but wasn't Sweden the it EU country to try leaving economy mostly open.

And the upshot,  very similar economic damage as it's nordic neighbours but with 5 fold the death rate.

New Scientist ,if you want to go look

11 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

At the beginning of lockdown in March NHS sent letters to everyone who had a longstanding health condition which made them ‘extremely vulnerable’  to the virus advising them to shield and pack a suitcase in case of hospital admission. Given the rise in infection rates shouldn’t these people be supported, if they choose, to shield again?