Coronavirus - Part Two.

6 hours ago, Longcol said:

What's the life expectancy of someone aged 65? Perhaps when I was a kid 55 years ago in a mining village it might have been about 70.

65 isn't old these days - life expectancy is about 80.

https://www.google.com/search?q=life+expectancy+uk&oq=life+expectancy+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.12399j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As I said, it doesn’t just kill older people. Thank you for illustrating that for me.

I also mentioned the organ damage that it causes. That is more difficult to quantify. But again., it occurs across the age range and is going to cause long term health issues.

6 hours ago, Longcol said:

What's the life expectancy of someone aged 65? Perhaps when I was a kid 55 years ago in a mining village it might have been about 70.

65 isn't old these days - life expectancy is about 80.

https://www.google.com/search?q=life+expectancy+uk&oq=life+expectancy+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.12399j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Let me assure you...

65 certainly feels old!

8 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It really isn’t just a nasty type of flu.

Just claiming that invalidates anything else that you have to say on the matter.

It doesn’t just turn into pneumonia. It doesn’t just kill older people. It absolutely needs to be treated with the utmost respect.

Covid 19 is right on the upper limit of expectations for any viral, respiratory disease. It is highly infectious and it causes significant organ damage in some patients. The potential long term impacts are still being understood, but they look grim.

Its not a bit of flu. You are going to have to wait a bit longer to go to the bingo or the opera.

Wasn't Swine flu and bird flu just as bad as covid in regards to having fatal effects on the elderly and the vunerable,  just a question I am posing, because if I  remember rightly, no one gave a damm and just carried on as normal. :huh:

3 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Wasn't Swine flu and bird flu just as bad as covid in regards to having fatal effects on the elderly and the vunerable,  just a question I am posing, because if I  remember rightly, no one gave a damm and just carried on as normal. :huh:

Swine flu was more serious for young people.

3 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Swine flu was more serious for young people.

Thankyou Nikki, I didn't know that,  was it controlled earlier ie vaccines or did it ever look like getting to pandemic stages ect, Im just trying to work out if we are going overboard with covid.

37 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Thankyou Nikki, I didn't know that,  was it controlled earlier ie vaccines or did it ever look like getting to pandemic stages ect, Im just trying to work out if we are going overboard with covid.

I remember the hysteria quite well.

A quick Google indicates at least 11% of the global population might have got swine flu during the 2009-2010 pandemic but most were asymptomatic.  There were 500k confirmed cases worldwide and 18k confirmed deaths.

WHO concluded the risk of serious illness from that strain of swine flu was the same as for normal flu.  It didn’t disproportionately affect older people.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

1 hour ago, Arnold_Lane said:

I remember the hysteria quite well.

A quick Google indicates at least 11% of the global population might have got swine flu during the 2009-2010 pandemic but most were asymptomatic.  There were 500k confirmed cases worldwide and 18k confirmed deaths.

WHO concluded the risk of serious illness from that strain of swine flu was the same as for normal flu.  It didn’t disproportionately affect older people.

Ok thankyou for the info its just that some people seem to be in the frame of mind that because there was no big hoo ha over swine/bird flu they are putting their heads in the sand ref to covid,  it would be helpful if the media ect run  the differentials by them. But cheers.

42 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Ok thankyou for the info its just that some people seem to be in the frame of mind that because there was no big hoo ha over swine/bird flu they are putting their heads in the sand ref to covid,  it would be helpful if the media ect run  the differentials by them. But cheers.

This is the sort of thing I remember from the swine flu pandemic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197054/Swine-flu-kill-40-Britons-day-end-summer-says-chief-medical-officer.html

5 minutes ago, Arnold_Lane said:

I can't remember a great deal about it, how did we over come it,  was a vaccine found or already in existance, its all very scetchy.  :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, steved32 said:

So, Dido Harding has reportedly said that no-one could have foreseen the increased demand for testing.

Is this woman for real?  Is the letter "l" omitted from her name?

She seems to have brought her Talk Talk management "acumen" to the role of  Covid testing supremo.

Everything she touches fails.  She was responsible for the track and trace programme which didn't work.

https://www.theregister.com/2020/08/18/dido_harding_health_protection_institute/

5 hours ago, Pettytom said:

As I said, it doesn’t just kill older people. Thank you for illustrating that for me.

Both Anna and myself stated older people, so yes it does kill mainly older people and the facts bear that out. What Longcol has stated is that 65 isn't old but he is confusing being old with living longer and life expectancy which is not the same. Most that are over 65 and of pensionable age would probably disagree as well. 

Edited by apelike

Certainly don't want covid to progress, but why oh why doesn't everyone try that bit harder when out?

Without the illness, I don't want the restrictions back - which we seem destined for.

Wearing a face covering?  Cover your bloody nose up too!!

Went in town yesterday and there were THREE adults not wearing a face covering in Primark. one even spoke to the security guy on the first floor who WAS wearing one. Suprised he wasn't politely challenged.

I left fuming straight away.

OK, OK some people are exempt, but I think they out to have an ID type card in view.