Coronavirus - Part Two.

3 hours ago, apelike said:

That just my point as I would not know unless a link to the source of the quote was provided! :huh:

3 hours ago, nikki-red said:

If you’re going to copy and paste please also include a link to the original source.

Thank you.

It was a facebook post Atilla the stockbroker wrote, i have no idea how you copy a single post, and anybody whos not on facebook wouldnt be able to read it anyway, and a single post gives you no more information apart from what he wrote (that i copied) and who he is.

The point i copied it for still stands, can the "facts" he wrote be verified? i havent seen anybody else bring up these points as to why testing is struggling so i found it interesting. If anybody wants to research the points in the text to check it out.

18 hours ago, apelike said:

Why, do you think that testing somehow stops a second wave happening or lessens the way people get infected.?

Where did I say testing stops a second wave?

It can certainly identify people with the virus so they can self isolate and hopefully not transmit the virus. It allows HMG / local councils to see where high numbers are being infected so can inform decisions eg local lockdowns to reduce transmission.

We can't stop the virus until a suitable vaccine is found - we can reduce transmission.

30 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Where did I say testing stops a second wave?

You didn't but certainly implied it in this quote by you:

"Odd that there was all the talk of a second wave but nobody thought to substantially  increase testing capacity in advance of returns to work / school / pubs re-opening etc etc."

It can certainly identify people with the virus so they can self isolate and hopefully not transmit the virus.

Anyone with symptoms should be doing that already.

It allows HMG / local councils to see where high numbers are being infected so can inform decisions eg local lockdowns to reduce transmission.

As said before, this is all about a panic attitude from the press and government and this sort of thing is what happens as a result.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-54181548

People need to get a grip and get on with life and understand that very few normal healthy people have died from it, and that covers around 99% of the population.

30 minutes ago, Longcol said:

We can't stop the virus until a suitable vaccine is found - we can reduce transmission.

But by doing that we are just prolonging the problem, what we have to do is adjust to living with it as it may be years yet before a vaccine is available. 

Edited by apelike

My son was feeling poorly saturday, didnt manage to get covid test till tuesday through post. We were both trying from saturday but no tests available either walk in or drive thru. How bad is this? He couldnt return to work so was unpaid for 5 days . Just had negative result back so  can return to work tomorrow . This government need step up and see what effect the lack of tests are having on normal working class people.

59 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

as the vast majority of people feel no symptoms  with Covid,  if your son was feeling unwell, statistically he  was more likely to be unwell  from any one of the thousands of things that do have symptoms than of covid.

Who says that the vast majority of Covid cases experience no symptoms?

42 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

A couple of links:

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-bmj-study-suggests-78-dont-show-symptoms-heres-what-that-could-mean-135732

And further into the above:

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m1375?=&utm_source=adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=usage&utm_content=daily&utm_term=text

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Are you doing an Abbott and Costello bit?

40 minutes ago, apelike said:

The BMJ article is interesting, thanks for that.

There is however a danger of confirmation bias there. I could produce links to other research that suggests much lower proportions of asymptomatic cases. I guess we need more research, which means more testing.

16 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

Every single expert.

On every single TV or radio station every day.

I believe the word used to scare people is

asymptomatic

That’s really not true.

Edited by Pettytom

53 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

Every single expert.

On every single TV or radio station every day.

I believe the word used to scare people is

asymptomatic

Absolutely.

Life is wonderful for Jacob Rees Mogg, people should stop carping.

Really?

Edited by Mister M

No Symptoms, dont clogg up testing stations, idiots are still causing mayhem by not listening to the loud and clear message,  just seen em on the news, Nutters, :rant:

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

No Symptoms, dont clogg up testing stations, idiots are still causing mayhem by not listening to the loud and clear message,  just seen em on the news, Nutters, :rant:

Blame it on the press and social media for hyping what was a small problem to scaring people into mass panic so that one and all are now demanding a test! It seems that the demand for tests by under 17's has also doubled according to the head of NHS Test and Trace Baroness Harding.