Coronavirus - Part Two.

Just now, apelike said:

But... Planning permission was originally granted in 2019 for it to be used as a post-brexit lorry park. It then was used as a temporary base for Covid testing. It then closed for Covid testing to get back on track for that post-brexit lorry park and another centre was opened in Rochester to take its place. Cant see much there to worry about!

Apart from the obvious question (which really belongs on another thread) as to why we need post-brexit lorry parks?

Back on subject - even Hancock is now admitting there are problems that may take weeks to resolve;

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/15/matt-hancock-says-covid-testing-crisis-may-last-weeks-as-uk-hospitals-plug-gaps

Odd that there was all the talk of a second wave but nobody thought to substantially  increase testing capacity in advance of returns to work / school / pubs re-opening etc etc.

3 hours ago, Longcol said:

Odd that there was all the talk of a second wave but nobody thought to substantially  increase testing capacity in advance of returns to work / school / pubs re-opening etc etc.

Why, do you think that testing somehow stops a second wave happening or lessens the way people get infected.?

On Monday morning, a work colleague - who happens to be diabetic - received a call from someone he'd met in a different office three days earlier, advising that he'd since felt unwell and was attempting to get a covid test.

He'd done the "decent" thing, ringing everyone he'd had contact with since Friday.

My work colleague took the rest of Monday off, but after contacting his HR department and his personal GP for guidance, turned up for work on Tuesday.

Whether the original informant has managed to get tested since, I don't know. Even if he has, it's unlikely the results will be known yet.

Surely the advice from HR and the GP is wrong?

7 hours ago, apelike said:

Why, do you think that testing somehow stops a second wave happening or lessens the way people get infected.?

I'm sure you could 'think'about how testing might somehow stop a second wave?

Again somebodys idea on why testing isnt working

It’s quite simple. The reason for this chaos is Tory privatisation ideology. A corporate-run, profit-centred, centralised testing system which bypasses national and local medical knowledge, facilities and expertise. Deliberate, shameful, spiteful, ideological.

Centralisation only works if there is an organic link between the centre and every other part of society graduating down between the different levels, with constant communication between them all and everything being done for the common good, not for profit.

And that is how all public services should be run. That’s why they’re called public services.
It really is that simple.

And if that is how they were run right now, people would be getting tested in specially cordoned off areas of their local medical facilities as well as the mass testing centres, instead of turning up at empty medical testing centres to be turned away because an accountancy firm’s website didn’t have enough bandwidth.

truth or left wing crap?

3 hours ago, melthebell said:

I'm sure you could 'think'about how testing might somehow stop a second wave?

I could but notice I was asking a question to Longcol. 

But... Testing only confirms that the person being tested has either had it/has it or not got it at the time of the test only.

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

Again somebodys idea on why testing isnt working

truth or left wing crap?

I don't know as no source of the quote has been given!

Edited by apelike

On 15/09/2020 at 11:16, ECCOnoob said:

Has anyone actually bothered to ask the question WHY there are no tests available and WHY there are all these backlogs?

I'm seeing lots of heated opinion, finger pointing and blame game but nobody actually giving the facts as to what exactly the problem is and how exactly it can be resolved.  

A couple of weeks ago they were offering tests willy-nilly, anyone could just order one. They've now revised the conditions.

It wasn't clear what the test could do either, I was under the impression it could tell you if you've already had coronavirus because my brother in law had a test and found he'd had it.

A few weeks ago I ordered one Wednesday afternoon because I'm a key worker - that was one of the options on the order list.

It arrived Thursday morning.  It was in the post Thursday afternoon and I had my results by text Friday afternoon.  

2 hours ago, apelike said:

I could but notice I was asking a question to Longcol. 

But... Testing only confirms that the person being tested has either had it/has it or not got it at the time of the test only.

I don't know as no source of the quote has been given!

The source of the quote is Atilla the stockbroker but that doesnt matter, surely if the "facts" in it can be verified then its true? I meant if its proved to be false then its left wing crap

32 minutes ago, melthebell said:

The source of the quote is Atilla the stockbroker but that doesnt matter, surely if the "facts" in it can be verified then its true? I meant if its proved to be false then its left wing crap

If its from a stockbroker then it does matter as a stockbroker makes a living from trading in shares from corporate-run, profit-centred companies so its a bit suspicious and cannot to be trusted as "facts" at all. In traditional SF banter, you should not quote something without giving it source as the origin of it is important.

Edited by apelike

6 minutes ago, apelike said:

If its from a stockbroker then it does matter as a stockbroker makes a living from trading in shares from corporate-run, profit-centred companies so its a bit suspicious and cannot to be trusted as "facts" at all. In traditional SF banter, you should not quote something without giving it source as the origin of it is important.

Attilla the Stockbroker isn’t a stockbroker 

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Attilla the Stockbroker isn’t a stockbroker 

That just my point as I would not know unless a link to the source of the quote was provided! :huh:

Edited by apelike

If you’re going to copy and paste please also include a link to the original source.

Thank you.