Coronavirus - Part Two.

12 minutes ago, apelike said:

No worries. Perhaps you could return the courtesy and now answer my question posed to you in post #963. :)

That's a different question though - you asked for an example and got one. It can be done, not always with just apps - but Iceland had a 38% uptake.

Germany hasn't had the same uptake for an app but where our numbers have shot up, Germany's went up and are levelling off again. They've not locked everything down, so what have they done?

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

That's a different question though - you asked for an example and got one. It can be done, not always with just apps - but Iceland had a 38% uptake.

Thanks but 38% is still well under the level of any successful useful app though. As pointed out by scientists and biologists it has to have a take up of over 70% and preferable over 80% for it to be anywhere near successful and S.Korea have met those figures.

To be honest I think people are concentrating too much on its spread and how many have or may have it that they forget that the mortality rates are still very low given it is a major pandemic and for most catching it is not much of a problem. 

Edited by apelike

When discussing the smartphone "app" and percentage take-up of it, I think it is worth repeating that targets of anything like 80% uptake of an a"app" are simply unachievable in a country like ours when only around 70-80% of the population have smartphones in the first place!

More "world beating" testing from HMG.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/14/people-in-englands-10-worst-hit-covid-hotspots-unable-to-get-tests

"Ministers have previously promised to prioritise testing in Covid hotspots but people trying to book swab tests in the worst-hit areas were told on Monday that it was not possible, LBC reported. The issue covered Bolton, Salford, Bradford, Blackburn, Oldham, Preston, Pendle, Rochdale, Tameside and Manchester."

Obviously not the fault of Ministers though 😎

13 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

What a shambles.

Not quite "world-beating" is it?

Has anyone actually bothered to ask the question WHY there are no tests available and WHY there are all these backlogs?

I'm seeing lots of heated opinion, finger pointing and blame game but nobody actually giving the facts as to what exactly the problem is and how exactly it can be resolved.  

3 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Has anyone actually bothered to ask the question WHY there are no tests available and WHY there are all these backlogs?

I'm seeing lots of heated opinion, finger pointing and blame game but nobody actually giving the facts as to what exactly the problem is and how exactly it can be resolved.  

I think Nicola sturgeon has but I'm not sure she's got much in the way of answers.

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

You’d think that a responsible Health Secretary would explain that to the public. Wouldn’t you?

Part if the problem is that the University staff who have been running the labs have now returned to their proper jobs. But nobody thought to plan for that.

I’d imagine that there are other factors too, but the silence is deafening.

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Not enough kits?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54161353

Not enough places doing the testing?

Not enough health labs, technicians behind the scenes doing the testing?

We haven't been told officially why ,So these are my guesses

I have also seen this on facebook so you tell me if its true

Scientists’ spokesman Professor Alan McNally says labs are fully staffed and not responsible for the testing shortages and ‘there must be issues no-one wants to tell us about’.

If you hand testing contracts to Tory donor accountancy firms instead of medical practitioners of course there will be ‘issues’!

Edited by melthebell

35 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

And now they've closed a testing centre so it can be turned into a post-brexit lorry park.

Go home 2020, you're drunk. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-54158100

But... Planning permission was originally granted in 2019 for it to be used as a post-brexit lorry park. It then was used as a temporary base for Covid testing. It then closed for Covid testing to get back on track for that post-brexit lorry park and another centre was opened in Rochester to take its place. Cant see much there to worry about!