Coronavirus - Part Two.

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:
  1. I hope that all was well or as best as could be hoped for - nobody likes family emergencies, but the all come to us and we have to do our best when they occur.  Best wishes.
  2. Thank you for following guidelines and staying in - by doing so (as you clearly know), then if you picked it up, then at least you didn't spread it - asymptomatic at the time or not.
  3. People who HAVE the virus are the ones we really ought to be helping and restricting the movement of, or who have had recent contact with someone who has proved positive.  The Government is promising money to those who are told to self-isolate, but I bet it isn't following up and checking that they do.
  4. With restricted availability of testing, I do think that it is right and proper to ration it to those with serious symptoms and those at greatest risk - i.e. NHS workers, then other key workers.  Fortunately, I have no indication of any illness associated with Covid, and would prefer nurses, and other key workers to have tests before me.  They have more chance of catching it, therefore they need to be tested more in my opinion.

Hi TR

Thanks so much for your wishes.

It hasn’t been a good  few weeks for me, but I’m getting there.

As for quarantine, that’s fine. I have Sky Sports and a great England Australia cricket tour. I also have a kindle and Spotify. So, things could be worse.

I just wish that this awful government would put as much effort into track and trace as they are into denying people like me their liberty.

3 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

I fully understand what asymptomatic means thank you, I would stop digging that hole, come back to me when testing capacity is at least 10m a day, then we will talk about it again.

Not if you think there are 83 million asymptomatic people in this country.

4 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I’m lost on this one.

I thought the totalU.K. population was about 68 million.

Is 83 million the amount of daily tests promised by Johnson and Hancock by Spring 2022?

Made up population figures mate so I do apologise. If you don't get the gist of what I am saying then so be it. As you are a well educated, very clever person, please explain to me how a 200k per day testing capacity can equate to testing (Insert UK population here) to catch asymptomatic carriers when symptomatic people who do genuinely need a test can't  get one?

15 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Not if you think there are 83 million asymptomatic people in this country.

66.65 million then, there you go, less the symptomatic people (who need to be tested) and some asymptomatic people tested routinely and found to be positive. Test 80% of the population per day (which would be needed to pick up on a large majority of asymptomatic people)  @200k  tests per day, sorted, no one will have to drive  150 miles to have their young children tested who are showing symptoms. Your posts now make perfect sense thank you for clearing that up for me and apologies in advance.

10 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

66.65 million then, there you go, less the symptomatic people (who need to be tested) and some asymptomatic people tested routinely and found to be positive. Test 80% of the population per day (which would be needed to pick up on a large majority of asymptomatic people)  @200k  tests per day, sorted, no one will have to drive  150 miles to have their young children tested who are showing symptoms. Your posts now make perfect sense thank you for clearing that up for me and apologies in advance.

No - asymptomatic clearly means people infected with covid 19 and not displaying symptoms. 

For example say you'd been in Marks and Sparks last week and found that a number of the staff had tested positive for covid 19 but you don't show symptoms. Do you reckon you should be able to get a test in case you were spreading the virus?

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

No - asymptomatic clearly means people infected with covid 19 and not displaying symptoms. 

For example say you'd been in Marks and Sparks last week and found that a number of the staff had tested positive for covid 19 but you don't show symptoms. Do you reckon you should be able to get a test in case you were spreading the virus?

Still digging "sigh"  Why would you need to?  were you in close contact for more than 15 minutes? did you/they  follow the Covid secure guidance? Sanitise in store?  Wash hands when you got home? Wear a face cover? Give it up Col you have lost.

25 minutes ago, Longcol said:

One last thing because this is getting boring, sorry. Asymptomatic is exactly that, people without symptoms, they may have it, they may not. At 200k capacity lets leave it to the the people with symptoms.  If they up testing capacity we will talk about it again. Good night. 

So Gove is emphasising that we all need to show self-discipline in sticking to the rules on social distancing, meeting up in no more than groups of six, etc.

I agree, but who the hell is he to tell us.  The same Gove who defended Demonic Cummings'  ill-disciplined jolly to Barnard Castle.  The same Gove who claimed that he also had tested his eyesight by driving.

What a bunch of clowns we have in government.

12 hours ago, Dardandec said:

One last thing because this is getting boring, sorry. Asymptomatic is exactly that, people without symptoms, they may have it, they may not. 

Asymptomatic means there are no symptoms. You are considered asymptomatic if you:

• Have recovered from an illness or condition and no longer have symptoms
  • Have an illness or condition (such as early stage high blood pressure or glaucoma) but do not have symptoms of it

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002217.htm#:~:text=Asymptomatic means there are no,not have symptoms of it

9 hours ago, andyofborg said:

Asymptomatic means there are no symptoms. You are considered asymptomatic if you:

• Have recovered from an illness or condition and no longer have symptoms
  • Have an illness or condition (such as early stage high blood pressure or glaucoma) but do not have symptoms of it

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002217.htm#:~:text=Asymptomatic means there are no,not have symptoms of it

I think you are missing my point, and that is one of the reasons I don't post on here very often because it is like pulling teeth. I know full well what asymptomatic means . My point is, as there is no way of knowing who is or isn't  asymptomatic, every citizen who is not showing covid symptoms would have to be classed as asymptomatic. My debate was aimed at Longcol because he /she  displayed disgust at the fact that asymptomatic people weren't eligible for a covid test.  At 200k test capacity a day that would be impossible.

6 hours ago, Dardandec said:

I think you are missing my point, and that is one of the reasons I don't post on here very often because it is like pulling teeth. I know full well what asymptomatic means . My point is, as there is no way of knowing who is or isn't  asymptomatic, every citizen who is not showing covid symptoms would have to be classed as asymptomatic. My debate was aimed at Longcol because he /she  displayed disgust at the fact that asymptomatic people weren't eligible for a covid test.  At 200k test capacity a day that would be impossible.

They can’t even cope with testing all the symptomatic people requesting a test now let alone the asymptomatic ones!!

2 hours ago, redruby said:

They can’t even cope with testing all the symptomatic people requesting a test now let alone the asymptomatic ones!!

But if they don’t test asymptomatic people, they will very likely end up with even more symptomatic cases