Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

I had the temerity to go to Paris last week on urgent family business.

I’m halfway through my quarantine period. Not ill,  but locked in my house in case I am asymptomatic. 

The government are fine with placing me under house arrest, but not fine with testing those who may be asymptomatic.

Yet more consistency from this most competent of administrations.*

*Sarcasm, in case you were wondering 

Sorry but no sympathy from me. Anyone who travels abroad (albeit as a matter of urgency) and especially to a country currently subjected to quarantine should be responsible for their decision and prepared to self isolate if required. There are symptomatic people having to travel to get tested, key workers, NHS patients and other priority groups to test. You made your choice so take the consequences, I hope you’re also not one of the whingers who expect the government to reimburse any lost wages. 

5 hours ago, catmiss said:

Sorry but no sympathy from me. Anyone who travels abroad (albeit as a matter of urgency) and especially to a country currently subjected to quarantine should be responsible for their decision and prepared to self isolate if required. There are symptomatic people having to travel to get tested, key workers, NHS patients and other priority groups to test. You made your choice so take the consequences, I hope you’re also not one of the whingers who expect the government to reimburse any lost wages. 

Reply deleted.

This sort of think isn’t worthy of a response 

Edited by Pettytom

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

I tried to explain to you the spare capacity is spread all over the UK.  The public can help those who really need a test find a local test by not booking a test when they are not showing covid-19 symptoms.

I agree about not having sympathy for those travelling abroad for holidays but I do have sympathy for those travelling abroad for work or a family emergency as is the reason for Pettytom's trip to France.

I agree,  Family emergancies,  and Buisness related trips  understandable but as for holidays I would wait till next year,  I do hope everyone who booked earlier this year before all this decended on us and have tried to cancel or rebook and have been refunded.  Just thinking how many Travel agents ect will  survive till next year. 

11 hours ago, West 77 said:

I tried to explain to you the spare capacity is spread all over the UK.  The public can help those who really need a test find a local test by not booking a test when they are not showing covid-19 symptoms.

So potential asymptomatic carriers of covid-19 - most likely the biggest spreaders of the virus -  shouldn't book a test despite the spare capacity?

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

So potential asymptomatic carriers of covid-19 - most likely the biggest spreaders of the virus -  shouldn't book a test despite the spare capacity?

Considering that the percentage of people actually infected so far in the UK is very, very low, and because of that there is no confirmed data available to link asymptomatic carriers as being the biggest spreaders then the above in bold it is most likely just a guess

Edited by apelike

13 minutes ago, apelike said:

Considering that the percentage of people actually infected so far in the UK is very, very low, and because of that there is no confirmed data available to link asymptomatic carriers as being the biggest spreaders then the above in bold it is most likely just a guess

It certainly is a guess but a pretty good one. The logic is there I suppose. 

18 minutes ago, apelike said:

So do you reckon people who think they may be asymptomatic carriers should be eligible for tests seeing as we have loads of spare testing capacity according to HMG?

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

Well no actually. There are about 83 million asymptomatic people in this country, is there capacity to test them? you're response to testing, or lack of it, on you're last few posts on this thread is embarrassing. 200k capacity, 83 million asymptomatic people, I don't think you have thought that through.

26 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

Well no actually. There are about 83 million asymptomatic people in this country, is there capacity to test them? you're response to testing, or lack of it, on you're last few posts on this thread is embarrassing. 200k capacity, 83 million asymptomatic people, I don't think you have thought that through.

I think you have misunderstood the term asymptomatic in relation to covid 19.

Asymptomatic as infected with covid 19 but not showing symptoms - also pre-symptomatic people don't display symptoms in the early stages (first few days or so).

From the World Health Organisation (WHO) website;

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-how-is-covid-19-transmitted?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwOz6BRCgARIsAKEG4FU9SklE0xJlBz4IEdutZgAi7RKsTqACAqfLKNGr1FYCRO_oLrR4DrAaAgT4EALw_wcB

What is the difference between people who are asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic? Don’t they both mean someone without symptoms?

Yes, both terms refer to people who do not have symptoms. The difference is that asymptomatic refers to people who are infected but never develop symptoms during the period of infection while pre-symptomatic refers to infected people who have not yet developed symptoms but do go on to develop symptoms later. 

Edited by Longcol

On 10/09/2020 at 21:57, Pettytom said:

No, I’m legally required to remain in my house for 14 days. I can be fined £1000 if I go out. That’s pretty much house arrest.

But my point was the contrast between the way that the government are willing to remove my liberty and their inability to build a decent testing system. I’m at home in case I’m asymptomatic, you can’t have a test unless you have symptoms.

What a ridiculous state of affairs.

1. I hope that all was well or as best as could be hoped for - nobody likes family emergencies, but the all come to us and we have to do our best when they occur.  Best wishes.
  2. Thank you for following guidelines and staying in - by doing so (as you clearly know), then if you picked it up, then at least you didn't spread it - asymptomatic at the time or not.
  3. People who HAVE the virus are the ones we really ought to be helping and restricting the movement of, or who have had recent contact with someone who has proved positive.  The Government is promising money to those who are told to self-isolate, but I bet it isn't following up and checking that they do.
  4. With restricted availability of testing, I do think that it is right and proper to ration it to those with serious symptoms and those at greatest risk - i.e. NHS workers, then other key workers.  Fortunately, I have no indication of any illness associated with Covid, and would prefer nurses, and other key workers to have tests before me.  They have more chance of catching it, therefore they need to be tested more in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

I’m lost on this one.

I thought the totalU.K. population was about 68 million.

Is 83 million the amount of daily tests promised by Johnson and Hancock by Spring 2022?

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I think you have misunderstood the term asymptomatic in relation to covid 19.

Asymptomatic as infected with covid 19 but not showing symptoms - also pre-symptomatic people don't display symptoms in the early stages (first few days or so).

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-how-is-covid-19-transmitted?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwOz6BRCgARIsAKEG4FU9SklE0xJlBz4IEdutZgAi7RKsTqACAqfLKNGr1FYCRO_oLrR4DrAaAgT4EALw_wcB

I fully understand what asymptomatic means thank you, I would stop digging that hole, come back to me when testing capacity is at least 10m a day, then we will talk about it again.