Coronavirus - Part Two.

We had the very unwelcome news over the past weeks that many hundreds of workers tested positive for coronavirus at a number of meat plants and abattoirs in Wales and England. This is not an issue restricted to the UK but has occurred in a number of other European countries, such as Spain, The Netherlands, Ireland, France and Germany – all which have reporting many dozens of outbreaks.

https://www.newfoodmagazine.com/article/112889/coronavirus/

On 17/08/2020 at 09:48, Easy livin said:

i am certainly not bothered if i catch it.   my social circle does not  include anyone over 80.  or anyone   with copd or obese.   so the chance of anyone getting unwell is  miniscule.

i have not entered a shop since the mask rule came in so no need to wear a muzzle.  and i dont use public transport.

does that answer your questions.  

I am more  worried about the 180,000 missed cancer appointments.

the fact that in a few years a load of families will lose  a parent in middle age.     
that  suicides and depression is up
that unemployment is through the roof  and all the heartache that brings

if its diffiicult to transmit outdoors.  why do the papers  continue with the  panic everytime there is a photo of a beach.
if its difficult to transmit outdoors why are outdoor events still shut.

I think it is difficult to catch outdoors too and it seems that evidence studied shows too. I guess you until it’s proven that outdoors is low risk we have to be cautious?   My personal belief is that Covid transmits in the same way as a common cold. I’m pretty sure I’ve never caught a cold passing someone briefly outdoors but have caught many from people I live with, work with (indoors) and have shared public transport with.  That’s only my personal opinion by the way but I have a feeling that eventually it will be shown that Covid is only likely to transmit in confined, mainly indoor spaces - made worse by crowding.

Edited by redruby

Seeing lots of selfish idiots in shops not wearing face coverings. Assume not all of them have hidden disabilities or are exempt from wearing a mask etc.

I have every sympathy for shop staff, who no doubt get a lot of abuse from these people when they’re told they need to wear a mask.

What can be done though?

9 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

Interesting interview with Mr.Hemlock on BBC Breakfast this morning. With France suddenly deciding that office workers should start wearing masks, he was asked if the UK was considering same.

No, we're not, because the "evidence shows that most virus transmission happens in the home, not the workplace".

Well, it would, wouldn't it!

We've been staying at home!

And businesses/offices have been shut or operating on skeleton staff!

One of my grandchildren works for the Home Office in Sheffield.  The majority have been working from home since last March but there's indication that they are looking at some stage for a large proportion of the staff  to move back into the offices. 

My grandson told me that they had a virtual floor meeting a good month ago via Skype & someone asked about wearing face masks / coverings?

The response at that time for these Govt workers was that it was a personal choice whether they wear a mask /  face covering. 

Edited by Baron99

46 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The response at that time for these Govt workers was that it was a personal choice whether they wear a mask /  face covering

That how it should have been all along rather than making one rule for some and another for others.

43 minutes ago, apelike said:

That how it should have been all along rather than making one rule for some and another for others.

So every individual makes up their own mind as to wearing a mask,locking down,maintaining social distancing?

I can’t see how that works in exerting any control on the spreading of the virus.

50 minutes ago, apelike said:

And yet you defended DominicCummings to the hilt when everybody else stayed at home / in their locality. Certainly a case of "one rule for Boris's boss and one rule for the rest of us".

27 minutes ago, RJRB said:

So every individual makes up their own mind as to wearing a mask,locking down,maintaining social distancing?

Notice how I bolded the bit I made a reply to and it was specifically about face masks/face coverings!

20 minutes ago, Longcol said:

And yet you defended DominicCummings to the hilt when everybody else stayed at home / in their locality. Certainly a case of "one rule for Boris's boss and one rule for the rest of us".

Again my reply was about face masks/face coverings which were not mandatory when the Dominic Cummings fiasco took place..... Do keep up!

Edited by apelike

Meanwhile the Patron Saint of the Islington Allotments Society has a sudden recollection of being told about " herd immunity" back in March.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/aug/19/jeremy-corbyn-governments-coronavirus-policy-was-eugenic-herd-immunity

Would have been kind of handy if he'd said something at the time..........................................

I witnessed 3 youths sharing a mask this afternoon, going into the food shop one at a time, and then swapping the mask outside.

Stupid, yes, but didn't it also occur to them that youths 2 and 3 could've simply asked youth 1 to shop for them?!

9 minutes ago, apelike said:

Notice how I bolded the bit I made a reply to and it was specifically about face masks/face coverings!

Again my reply was about face masks/face coverings which were not mandatory when the Dominic Cummings fiasco took place..... Do keep up!

So what in your opinion should be / have been mandatory?

Face coverings / masks, social distancing / lockdown etc etc