Coronavirus - Part Two.

8 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Its not a very useful word really.

It hinges on whether people understand the difference between a germ and a virus as I was trying to point out in my reply to RJRB.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Thats interesting, a friend of mine who believes they've had it is complaining of being really really tired all the time.

The talk concerned one particular woman who contracted the virus 5 months ago. Initially, a very mild effect, from which she "recovered"... but then the list of (worsening) ailments followed, including - as you pointed out - excessive tiredness.

The list of things that people are suffering from courtesy of the virus is frightening - organ failures, including "fogging of the brain" is not uncommon.

Seems as though SARS-CoV-2 has a few more nasty tricks up its sleeve...

3 minutes ago, apelike said:

It hinges on whether people understand the difference between a germ and a virus as I was trying to point out in my reply to RJRB.

There is no difference.

A virus is a germ.

A bacterium is a germ.

Some fungi are germs.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

I don’t think that any such thing is obvious from this thread. I’m very interested in the unsubstantiated claims that some people are making.

Why do you think that 2m social distancing  is more important/effective than wearing a face covering?

Because it very difficult for the virus to transmit at a 2m distance.  What concerns me is the notion that wearing a face covering makes social distancing less important (particulary indoors and even more so in a crowded indoor environment).  And touching/contaminating/unclean face masks add risks as I’ve previously said.

2 minutes ago, redruby said:

Because it very difficult for the virus to transmit at a 2m distance.  What concerns me is the notion that wearing a face covering makes social distancing less important (particulary indoors and even more so in a crowded indoor environment).  And touching/contaminating/unclean face masks add risks as I’ve previously said.

Now I’m really interested. You (and many others) are happy to accept 2m social distancing as important, but not face covering. Both without recourse to any evidence.

I’d respectfully suggest that keeping 2m or more away from someone who is wearing a face covering would serious reduce your chance of catching the virus.  Likewise if your face is also covered, the other person’s risk reduces.

And that’s what it’s all about really. Take as many measures as you can. In tandem, they make a big difference. There’s research to back up all those claims.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

There is no difference.

A virus is a germ.

A bacterium is a germ.

Some fungi are germs.

Ahh yes, I see what you mean.

53 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Now I’m really interested. You (and many others) are happy to accept 2m social distancing as important, but not face covering. Both without recourse to any evidence.

I’d respectfully suggest that keeping 2m or more away from someone who is wearing a face covering would serious reduce your chance of catching the virus.  Likewise if your face is also covered, the other person’s risk reduces.

And that’s what it’s all about really. Take as many measures as you can. In tandem, they make a big difference. There’s research to back up all those claims.

For what seems like the trillionth time, I’m not ANTI fave coverings. I just worry about the way people seem to consider wearing one as being more important than social distancing and dismiss concerns about the risks of improper face covering use. And I particularly dislike the abuse some people with non visible disabilities have had to put up with for not wearing one.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

For what seems like the trillionth time, I’m not ANTI fave coverings. I just worry about the way people seem to consider wearing one as being more important than social distancing and dismiss concerns about the risks of improper face covering use. And I particularly dislike the abuse some people with non visible disabilities have had to put up with for not wearing one.

I’m not suggesting that you are anti face coverings. I’m trying to explore why you feel that 2m social distancing is more important. 

I think they are both important. Along with hand hygiene, testing and  track/trace.

2 hours ago, redruby said:

they are ALL important.........the main point is, not EVERYWHERE you can observe 2m distance, supermarket aisles as you are passing others might be a prime example, a face covering does help as you may pass somebody

My thoughts on this is that indoor, crowded environments are by a long way the biggest risk. Social distancing largely prevents this risk without adding other risks. A face covering can give some protection to others but can add other risks through improper use. 

Edited by redruby

3 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Hurrah!

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/11/russia-claims-to-have-registered-first-coronavirus-vaccine.html

"No data has yet been published by the researchers and the long-term effects and safety of this possible vaccine currently remain unclear."

Aye, Russians have a great track record with pharma R&D....

...as attested by their widespread banning from a plethora of international sports events in recent years, never mind second (non-)medical uses of Pollonium ;):D