Coronavirus - Part Two.

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

Does wearing a Tenna Lady give me extra protection?

I’d hope that you would derive some benefit from wearing them😀

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Redruby, apelike why do you think not wearing one is safer than wearing one? It's OK poopooing the stats for wearing one but harder to justify the safety aspect of not wearing one

I actually said that I’m NOT against wearing them. I just think that people greatly overestimate the protection they give and see them as a kind of safety blanket. Masks or no masks the biggest risks for spreading Covid are the the three c’s - confined spaces, crowding together, close contact. Wearing a mask may help a little so it’s not a bad thing to do but isn’t as crucial as avoiding the three c’s.

31 minutes ago, redruby said:

I actually said that I’m NOT against wearing them. I just think that people greatly overestimate the protection they give and see them as a kind of safety blanket. Masks or no masks the biggest risks for spreading Covid are the the three c’s - confined spaces, crowding together, close contact. Wearing a mask may help a little so it’s not a bad thing to do but isn’t as crucial as avoiding the three c’s.

I do agree, but we wear masks at work to protect patients from us, more than the other way round.

Edited by nikki-red

Didn't know whether to put this story in here or the Conservative thread, I suppose it could go in both, Heads should roll but knowing Boris they will probably get a knighthood after all it is only taxpayers money they have wasted, how can you buy 50million wrong face masks. Someone obviously didn't know what they are doing if the story is correct, Ayanda Capital  say they had met all the government's specifications.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/government-wastes-millions-50million-coronavirus-22477733

Edited by iansheff

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Didn't know whether to put this story in here or the Conservative thread, I suppose it could go in both, Heads should roll but knowing Boris they will probably get a knighthood after all it is only taxpayers money they have wasted, how can you buy 50million wrong face masks. Someone obviously didn't know what they are doing if the story is correct, Ayanda Capital  say they had met all the government's specifications.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/government-wastes-millions-50million-coronavirus-22477733

This is what happens when the government use the Covid 19 crisis as an excuse to enrich their pals with untendered contracts.

They have also given PPE contracts worth over £100million to a pest control company, a crisp manufacturer and a familiy hedge fund. One multi million contract was handed out, untendered, to a company with assets of just £12k.

It's all very reminiscent of Failing Greyling and his ferry contract to a company with no ferries and the terms and conditions of a pizza delivery firm.

So far, between undelivered or non-compliant PPE and undelivered track-&-trace app and services, HMG has awarded close to £1bn untendered like that. One such company had been recorded at Companies House as dormant until March.

Doesn’t anyone catch #TheWeekInTory on here? A weekly summary of what HMG said, u-turned about and did or not.

Highly relevant to HMG’s “management” of Covid (the rest can go in The Conservatives thread).

This week's is here (you would want last week's, for the summary about these untendered contracts, although there is a bit more in this week's about the T&T service):

https://mobile.twitter.com/RussInCheshire/status/1291042650502705154

Click 'show this thread', Covid-relevant points start about halfway down, from section 20 (or so) onwards.

Edited by L00b

5 hours ago, melthebell said:

Redruby, apelike why do you think not wearing one is safer than wearing one? It's OK poopooing the stats for wearing one but harder to justify the safety aspect of not wearing one

Ahh a strawman... What post has anyone stated that.

4 hours ago, Pettytom said:

My apologies. I thought that the article linked to the research published in the Lancet directly 

Here is a link to the actual research. Do bear in mind the ethical difficulties of studying something like this in the current conditions. That, inevitably leads to uncertainty of data.

Nevertheless, the authors of this report are clear about the benefits of social distancing and all kinds of face coverings.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

Access is free.

No worries, made plenty of mistakes myself over the past few weeks.

But just to point out that the Lancet data is for medical or surgical face masks used by health professionals in conjunction with other measures being used and that is where the 3.1% figure comes from, so it's not about the current situation in the UK or elsewhere with the general public.

Quote:

"Further high-quality research, including randomised trials of the optimum physical distance and the effectiveness of different types of masks in the general population and for health-care workers' protection, is urgently needed."

3 hours ago, redruby said:

....I just think that people greatly overestimate the protection they give and see them as a kind of safety blanket. 

This above. :thumbsup: I have stated exactly the same on the previous thread and was also taken to task when I also suggested that they will become the next must have designer item!

Edited by apelike

51 minutes ago, apelike said:

No worries, made plenty of mistakes myself over the past few weeks.

But just to point out that the Lancet data is for medical or surgical face masks used by health professionals in conjunction with other measures being used 

Part of the data is, but this is a meta study, giving it a wide and varied evidence base.

6 hours ago, nikki-red said:

I do agree, but we wear masks at work to protect patients from us, more than the other way round.

Absolutely, but the benefit of Joe Public wearing a face covering to protect others is still minimal.  Medical professionals wearing clinical grade PPE is a different matter.

4 minutes ago, redruby said:

Absolutely, but the benefit of Joe Public wearing a face covering to protect others is still minimal.  Medical professionals wearing clinical grade PPE is a different matter.

You’ve said this repeatedly.

Do you have any proof for your claim?

5 hours ago, apelike said:

Ahh a strawman... What post has anyone stated that.

so youre purely trolling with your anti mask stance. thought so