Coronavirus - Part Two.

16 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Just want to pick up one point. 

"Normal" will only return until there is a proven vaccine which could be months, years or decades away.   Wearing a mask will make no difference to that timeline.  

Masks were about reducing speed of the outbreak and avoid swamping health services .  For all I very much support their use - I think it's important that people remember that masks don't mean immunity the virus.  

We all need to accept that is is our "normal" now and will be for some time. 

That’s not true is it.

At the time when reported infections were accelerating day by day in the UK we were being told by the authorities that the evidence was that masks had little benefit .

Some accepted this but others could not follow the logic.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

The longer people ignore social distancing, don't wear masks when they can means it will take us longer to go back to normal. 

And you say I'm selfish? 

No, I said in the eyes of some of the people you are labelling as 'selfish', they will be seeing you as selfish.

My exact words:

"You can quibble with their reasoning, but that is how they think, so IMO it is wrong and unproductive to lable them 'selfish'- in their eyes, you are the selfish one, as you seem not to care about the huge numbers who will suffer in the near future as a result of the lockdown that you want.

Some of them- as pointed out above, many don't want further lockdowns precisely because they want less people to die."

33 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

"Normal" will only return until there is a proven vaccine which could be months, years or decades away.   Wearing a mask will make no difference to that timeline.  

I don't think a vaccine will lead to 'normal'. Especially if, as many are anticipating, the authorities make the vaccine compulsory for everyone- if you think there is an issue with those labelled as 'anti-vacc' now, I can guarantee there will be a severe escalation if the authorities try to impose a mandatory coronavirus vaccine [probably yearly] on everyone.

10 minutes ago, enntee said:

As the main benefit of masks is to reduce the likelihood of 'you' infecting 'me', I regret to say that there should be no exceptions.

You think disabled people who would be damaged by masking should not be exempt?

19 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think the people who don't wear masks fall into two categories - those who for medical reasons can't wear them, and belligerent arseholes. 

I reserve the right to silently judge them though.

Given that you generally won't be able to tell the difference between a "belligerent arsehole" and a person with a hidden disability, how do you [silently] judge them? Is there not a danger and probability that you would judge a person as a "belligerent arsehole" when in reality they are a person with a hidden disability?

13 minutes ago, enntee said:

Yes.

They should remain isolated if they are so vulnerable.

Disabled people exempt from masking are not necessarily especially vulnerable to coronavirus, and enforced isolation in addition to being completely uneccesary for their own health, would likley cause considerable damage to their mental and/or physical health.

Edited by onewheeldave

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

At the time when reported infections were accelerating day by day in the UK we were being told by the authorities that the evidence was that masks had little benefit .

But wasn't that fabric masks?  There's a huge difference between a bit of cloth and proper protection, but they all get lumped into the "mask" category.

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Masks were about reducing speed of the outbreak and avoid swamping health services .  For all I very much support their use - I think it's important that people remember that masks don't mean immunity the virus.  

Years? Then entire industries will disappear in this country, and there will be millions (4m by Christmas? More?) unemployed. I'll be one. 

Theatres? 90% shut. Live music venues? About the same. Wedding industry (love it or loath it!) Gone. Exhibition centres ? Shut them all. Football Leagues one and two? All gone.  And I reckon that's if it goes on for less than a year.

If anyone thinks that just because they can get a haircut and go for a pint afterwards that we are nearly there hasn't got a clue. 

Option 2 - bin off all the restrictions and carry on as normal. I'll be fine, probably. Option 3 - and it's a bit conspiracy theory - say we have a vaccine even though we don't and don't release the number of deaths and infections, then carry on as normal. Honestly, I'd be fine with that at this stage.

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

You think disabled people who would be damaged by masking should not be exempt?

Given that you generally won't be able to tell the difference between a "belligerent arsehole" and a person with a hidden disability, how do you [silently] judge them? Is there not a danger and probability that you would judge a person as a "belligerent arsehole" when in reality they are a person with a hidden disability?

I can spot belligerent arseholes at 100 paces.

24 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

But wasn't that fabric masks?  There's a huge difference between a bit of cloth and proper protection, but they all get lumped into the "mask" category.

I believe that it referred to any type of mask,but now it seems the official line is that basic paper and fabric masks do offer some benefit.

The general public would still find it difficult to obtain the medical grade masks which are reserved for front line workers.

2 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I don't think a vaccine will lead to 'normal'. Especially if, as many are anticipating, the authorities make the vaccine compulsory for everyone- if you think there is an issue with those labelled as 'anti-vacc' now, I can guarantee there will be a severe escalation if the authorities try to impose a mandatory coronavirus vaccine [probably yearly] on everyone.

There is no need to make vaccinations compulsory. Obviously, people have freedom of choice when it comes to their own health.

Personally, I’ll be having any vaccine they come up with, in order to protect my health and yours. It would be nice if you would afford me the same courtesy.

Of course, I’d hope that the government would protect those who have been vaccinated from those who haven’t. That might concentrate the minds of the anti-vaxxer lunatics.

Edited by Pettytom

We were told early on in this pandemic by a range of medical experts not to expect any kind of reliable vaccination against Covid-19 for many years.  Of course there are many rival research and industry bodies trying to develop one, and many businesses that stand to make billions should they be able to sell something purporting to be a vaccine.  We were also told that testing a supposed vaccine also would take a minimum of a year after it had been developed. 

Are we really meant to believe that there is a vaccine, tested and ready to use?

Of course, politicians and Governments are ready to splash the cash, businesses ready to supply something to sell and many profits on, and many desperate people willing to act as guinea pigs.

While I hope a real vaccine is eventually developed, I am old enough to remember Thalidimide and other medical disasters, so I certainly won't be at the front of the queue to test one out.

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

And wearing it underneath your  nose, or round your chin, is probably worse than not wearing one at all...

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

I believe that it referred to any type of mask,but now it seems the official line is that basic paper and fabric masks do offer some benefit.

The general public would still find it difficult to obtain the medical grade masks which are reserved for front line workers.

The FFP3 masks are particularly unpleasant to wear, as well.  Not something you can wear all day, if you think face covering masks are bad...

6 hours ago, RJRB said:

Some accepted this but others could not follow the logic.

We only need a litle benefit to keep the R below ONE.

5 hours ago, enntee said:

Yes.

They should remain isolated if they are so vulnerable.

Till when. The BBC every now and then say there are promising trials under way. Thank the good Lord we have the experts on here (who I can only assume work in the Covid-19 vaccine and testing sector) who say a vaccine is unlikely to appear for years or even at all. 

So in the event our 'experts' are right, do they isolate till they die of another cause? Stick them on benefits or disability if they can't work and forget about them? 

This really isn't too difficult, we have the rules in place now so follow them. If you disagree with them you're entirely within your right to stay in and (preferably in my opinion) shut up and deal with it. Personal responsibility has to factor in to it. Right now it has never been easier to be able to remain indoors forever.