Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

You dont need to wear a mask at the barbers

I understand that now but that then makes a mockery of having laws for shoppers and transport but none for other close contact businesses such as a barbers where they are much less than a meter away. and in breathing distance. As I have previously pointed out I wear a mask when shopping now because it is against the law not to and not because it makes a difference. 

21 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Why are visors pointless?

They help to prevent droplets spreading.

Face coverings need to cover the mouth and nose, with no gaps. Theyre supposed to protect people from the wearer as well as the other way round.

Covid spreads through microscopic droplets that can easily get around the open sides of a visor.
We wear them in certain circumstances at work, but always with a mask.

Theyre probably better than nothing at all tho, as I said.

Edited by nikki-red

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

Many disabled people who are exempt from wearing masks would feel extremely threated and challenged if 'politely' asked why they are not wearing a mask.

I've previously described how 2 people I know no longer use public transport and now limit their shopping, despite being exempt from mask wearing, as they are very anxious about how some members of the public are hostile towards people with hidden disabilities not wearing masks.

How does the silent judging work when you can't tell the difference between the 2?

Absolutely. I can’t imagine how distressing it must be to have a disability that prevents wearing a mask and be ‘silently judged’ or having to constantly justify oneself  when ‘politely’ asked about it, let alone being challenged more aggressively.

We all need to step back and put ourselves in the shoes of others sometimes.

Just now, redruby said:

Edited by redruby

Northern lockdown rules have banned sex in homes if you do not live together - although hotel romps will be allowed. Has Boris employed someone just to think these crazy ideas up, how on earth can they enforce it? :confused:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/northern-lockdown-rules-sex-banned-22469304

5 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Northern lockdown rules have banned sex in homes if you do not live together - although hotel romps will be allowed. Has Boris employed someone just to think these crazy ideas up, how on earth can they enforce it? :confused:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/northern-lockdown-rules-sex-banned-22469304

Hotel romps. 😂😂

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Hotel romps. 😂😂

I'm sure Boris is a an expert - well he's got to be half decent at something.

Good news.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/roll-out-of-2-new-rapid-coronavirus-tests-ahead-of-winter#:~:text=5%2C000%20DNA%20'Nudgebox'%20machines%2C,the%20need%

Innovation. The lab is miniaturised and the test administered on the spot.

The test could possibly be made available to the public over the counter. Employers could utilise it  and test their employees.

Edited by petemcewan

17 hours ago, Halibut said:

Boris's certainly did.

Extraordinary

Anyway. Allegedly on the radio today there was mention of a new test which has the ability to differentiate between covid and the flu, since the symptoms are so similar. That would certainly be a game changer. 

I'd certainly be surprised to see a new national lockdown, I'm not entirely sure the country could handle it, more so I'm seeing numerous videos posted by friends etc of them just shredding or binning their 'local lockdown' letters so I'm going to assume more and more people will refuse to accept it. 

1 minute ago, Tomm06 said:

Extraordinary

Anyway. Allegedly on the radio today there was mention of a new test which has the ability to differentiate between covid and the flu, since the symptoms are so similar. That would certainly be a game changer. 

I'd certainly be surprised to see a new national lockdown, I'm not entirely sure the country could handle it, more so I'm seeing numerous videos posted by friends etc of them just shredding or binning their 'local lockdown' letters so I'm going to assume more and more people will refuse to accept it. 

Then, presumably, they're quite happy for people to die, potentially through their actions. 

Were people always this selfish? 

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Then, presumably, they're quite happy for people to die, potentially through their actions. 

Yes. In fact I remembered them saying "I'd rather people die" 

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

Ability to enforce isn't necessarily the main criteria for implementing it- when it comes to rules designed to slow/minimise transmission of virus it is more important that a substantial portion of the population follow it. 

Clearly sex with strangers is very likely to spread the virus from one person to the other. 

As we've seen with other lockdown measures, some of which do not make nearly as much sense, while not all people follow them, most do. 

47 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Good news.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/roll-out-of-2-new-rapid-coronavirus-tests-ahead-of-winter#:~:text=5%2C000%20DNA%20'Nudgebox'%20machines%2C,the%20need%

Innovation. The lab is miniaturised and the test administered on the spot.

The test could possibly be made available to the public over the counter. Employers could utilise it  and test their employees.

There is a school of thought that many more people already have coronavirus than is supposed, and the majority of them are asymptomatic and, that a explanation for the rise in numbers when testing is increased, is due to the increased testing turning up these large numbers of people who are assymptomatic and have the virus. If that is the case, then increasing testing isn't necessarily such a positive thing.

25 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Very presumptious to assume that they are all selfish. Many of these people sincerely believe, and can rationally justify, their view that more lockdown will lead, ultimately, to more death and misery than the effects of the virus. 

The economic effects from lockdown have not really started yet [although the US seems to be suffering, with high levels of home repossessions?] but it looks likely that many will die or suffer over the next few years.

You can quibble with their reasoning, but that is how they think, so IMO it is wrong and unproductive to lable them 'selfish'- in their eyes, you are the selfish one, as you seem not to care about the huge numbers who will suffer in the near future as a result of the lockdown that you want.

24 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

Yes. In fact I remembered them saying "I'd rather people die" 

Some of them- as pointed out above, many don't want further lockdowns precisely because they want less people to die.