Coronavirus - Part Two.

52 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

With you (and Baron99) on this.  I'll add that I'm fed up of seeing businesses proudly displaying "You must wear a mask" type messages on their doors, then ignoring it when customers without one come in.

Went to get a loaf of bread yesterday at my local shop and it had around 5 people in and only me was wearing a mask and I shan't be going there again. Went for a haircut to the local barbers and no one was wearing any there either.

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Went to get a loaf of bread yesterday at my local shop and it had around 5 people in and only me was wearing a mask and I shan't be going there again. Went for a haircut to the local barbers and no one was wearing any there either.

Apparently you don’t have to wear masks at barbers and hairdressers. Mine is insisting their clients do though. 

Its worth bearing in mind that not all disabilities are visible and we shouldn’t make assumptions or challenge people not wearing a mask for this reason.

49 minutes ago, apelike said:

You dont need to wear a mask at the barbers

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

With you (and Baron99) on this.  I'll add that I'm fed up of seeing businesses proudly displaying "You must wear a mask" type messages on their doors, then ignoring it when customers without one come in.

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Its worth bearing in mind that not all disabilities are visible and we shouldn’t make assumptions or challenge people not wearing a mask for this reason.

It is. I know several people who are exempt from mask wearing, and who no longer use public transport and restrict their shopping as they are anxious about the hostility of some members of the public.

24 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

You dont need to wear a mask at the barbers

I had my hair cut about 5 weeks ago & I had a mask on when I entered the barbers & was requested to keep it on. 

The barber had so much PPE on, they looked like they were going to perform open heart surgery. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, redruby said:

Apparently you don’t have to wear masks at barbers and hairdressers. Mine is insisting their clients do though. 

I think it is fine to politely ask someone why they are not wearing a face covering in a shop.

Challenging is a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I think it is fine to politely ask someone why they are not wearing a face covering in a shop.

I think the people who don't wear masks fall into two categories - those who for medical reasons can't wear them, and belligerent arseholes. 

I reserve the right to silently judge them though.

11 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think the people who don't wear masks fall into two categories - those who for medical reasons can't wear them, and belligerent arseholes. 

To be fair, I haven’t encountered many.

I’ve been in two different Tesco’s and Curry’s today. Everyone was appropriately dressed. 

Same thing yesterday in town., with the exception of one family in John Lewis.

I think most people will get used to

the idea pretty quickly.

36 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Many disabled people who are exempt from wearing masks would feel extremely threated and challenged if 'politely' asked why they are not wearing a mask.

I've previously described how 2 people I know no longer use public transport and now limit their shopping, despite being exempt from mask wearing, as they are very anxious about how some members of the public are hostile towards people with hidden disabilities not wearing masks.

32 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

How does the silent judging work when you can't tell the difference between the 2?

17 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Many disabled people who are exempt from wearing masks would feel extremely threated and challenged if 'politely' asked why they are not wearing a mask.

But I also feel threatened by the presence of people who refuse to take simple precautions to protect public health. It makes me anxious to be amongst people who refuse to wear face coverings where they are required to do so. 

I understand that some people can’t, particularly those with autism, but they are not the only people with needs here.

The solution is simple though. Those who are exempt could wear an indication of that exemption. Then there would be no need to politely ask them about their lack of a face covering.

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Why don't  the people you know wear a face visor instead of a mask?  I've seen shoppers wearing face visors.

Visors are pretty pointless without a mask. 

If you are exempt though I suppose a visor could be felt to be better than nothing.

Edited by nikki-red

16 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Visors are pretty pointless without a mask. 

If you are exempt though I suppose a visor could be felt to be better than nothing.

Why are visors pointless?

They help to prevent droplets spreading.