Coronavirus - Part Two.

On 02/08/2020 at 11:44, melthebell said:

thought schools were safe, thats what the government were spouting a couple of months ago when they said schools had to go back, saying kids couldnt catch it so they were safe, now pubs (which do pay in to the economy) are thinking to be closed so schools can open??

arent both mutally exclusive?

arent schools now that safe? just like socially distanced pubs?

go out if you can, but dont go out if you cant, work if you can, from home maybe but if you cant dont, dont go to the pub unless theyre open, get your haircut because theyre open but then theyre closed 

And from today, eat out and get 50% off three days a week if you like, but make sure you lose weight to save pressurising the NHS dealing with obesity related illnesses.

1 hour ago, steved32 said:

And from today, eat out and get 50% off three days a week if you like, but make sure you lose weight to save pressurising the NHS dealing with obesity related illnesses.

39 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

next on the list

half price  fags  and  free   chocolate.

You do realise it is perfectly possible to eat out and eat healthily at the same time. 

It is exactly the same concept as people in a supermarket who choose to walk past and ignore the fruit and vegetable aisle and instead fill their trolley from the processed meat and and confectionery aisle.  

Where and how people are consuming food is not the issue.  It is what and how much they are consuming that is the important point.

The government has brought in a very important measure to try and reduce the severe impact which massive closures across the leisure sector caused.  Now, as per usual people are deliberately misinterpreting the message and using it as some stick to do a bit of anti-tory bashing.

Edited by ECCOnoob

15 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

of course it is.

thats why the vouchers are valid for Mcdonalds, nando's  and a bunch of  other  junk food outlets!

You are completely missing the point again.

Firstly it is perfectly acceptable to eat a burger every now and then.  It is meat in bread.  That's it.   The healthy initiative scheme is not some translation into everyone must eat rabbit food for eternity.   It is about the amount that gets shovelled into ones face.   

Someone popping into McDonald's occasionally to treat themselves to a burger and milkshake is not exactly a major problem when compared to someone who potentially will eat such food 3-4 times a week every week.  It goes back to my previous analogy of people who go into supermarkets and ignore healther products.

Secondly, as I'm sure you know, besides the two nicely cherry-picked companies you reference on your post there are over 120 other businesses on the government scheme including coffee shops, hotel resorts, pub companies and service station chains.  They include well-known oriental restaurants, sushi bars, sandwich shops and in-store cafes.

People are free to go and choose any of these businesses they so want and choose any item of the menu as healthy or not as they wish to make it.  It all boils down to that wonderful thing called personal responsibility. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

14 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It all boils down to that wonderful thing called personal responsibility. 

A characteristic sadly wholly lacking from the PM.

57 minutes ago, Halibut said:

A characteristic sadly wholly lacking from the PM.

Oh really.  Well, isn't he someone who has had the virus, recovered from it, accepted he is overweight and his said he's going to do something about it. 

In the meantime he has proposed wider government methods to encourage others in similar situations to do the same.

Looks an awful lot like taking personal responsibility to me.  But hey, let's not let your obvious anti Tory bias get in the way of facts.  

28 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh really.  Well, isn't he someone who has had the virus, recovered from it, accepted he is overweight and his said he's going to do something about it. 

In the meantime he has proposed wider government methods to encourage others in similar situations to do the same.

Looks an awful lot like taking personal responsibility to me.  But hey, let's not let your obvious anti Tory bias get in the way of facts.  

It’s a good job that nobody round here is allowing pro-Tory bias to affect their judgement, or that could cause quite a kerfuffle.

This is a useful website, if you’d like to judge the honesty and integrity of Johnson.

https://boris-johnson-lies.com

Edited by Pettytom

On 02/08/2020 at 11:50, West 77 said:

The areas where infections rates have started to rise again and action taken are areas with higher BAME and Muslim populations.  The BAME  people are at higher risk from Covid 19 according to statistics. I don't see anything wrong in anyone stating there is is a problem within the the BAME and Muslim communities. Vulnerable people have been shielding for months and it should be considered to ask or order BAME people and Muslims to stay in their own homes in areas where there are high numbers of new infections until the numbers of new infections are lower again.

Do you have any advice for the people of Trafford?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/03/coronavirus-80-new-cases-trafford-among-white-community?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Oh really. 

Yes, really. You'll recall what his form tutor said of him -  

“Boris really has adopted a disgracefully cavalier attitude to his classical studies . . . Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility (and surprised at the same time that he was not appointed Captain of the School for next half): I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.”

I could provide many further examples.

3 hours ago, Halibut said:

Yes, really. You'll recall what his form tutor said of him -  

“Boris really has adopted a disgracefully cavalier attitude to his classical studies . . . Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility (and surprised at the same time that he was not appointed Captain of the School for next half): I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.”

I could provide many further examples.

Good example. Our form tutors from school certainly had us all figured out for the rest of our lives. 

My word, 5 or so months, hundreds of pages, 2 separate threads and everyones still going in the same argumentative circles. 

8 minutes ago, Tomm06 said:

Good example. Our form tutors from school certainly had us all figured out for the rest of our lives. 

In this case, I think the form tutor had Johnson pretty well sussed. 

He’s clearly totally out of his depth as PM. Only his egomania is stopping him from recognising this.

5 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Well if Covid is on the rise in certain areas of the north west it’s hardly surprising it will spread to other areas of the north west once it is able to take hold. 

Covid will spread most easily in places where lots of people congregate indoors. The more people and the smaller and less well ventilated that indoor space is the more easily it can spread.  If lots of people live, work and/or travel together in confined spaces the risk increases. If certain communities are more likely to do this then of course they are at greater risk. Once the r rate rises to certain level Covid will continue to spread both inside and outside these communities. 
Personally, I believe a lot of people worry too much about vanishingly unlikely ways of catching Covid such as passing someone on street for a second or two without a 1 metre distance or touching a gate. Indoor gatherings are the real risk.