Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

Given the government's staggeringly incompetent inability to provide such a service I can hardly blame them for making such a poor attempt.

It's not so much a case of incompetence but a case of basically not having a system that unless compulsory for all simply does not work. The incompetence if any was trying to get one up an running in the first place.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, apelike said:

It's not so much a case of incompetence but a case of basically not having a system that unless compulsory for all simply does not work. The incompetence if any was trying to get one up an running in the first place.

Yeah - let's not try to track and trace - just let the virus run amok, overwhelm the NHS etc...................

What do you suggest we do?

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Yeah - let's not try to track and trace - just let the virus run amok, overwhelm the NHS etc...................

What do you suggest we do?

I think I just did... Dont produce an app that does not work unless it is compulsory for all as the latter is its weak spot. It will not do what it is meant to do and to be of use it needs to be efficient and work.

Edited by apelike

1 minute ago, apelike said:

I think I just did... Dont produce an app that does not work unless it is compulsory for all as the latter is its weak spot. It will not do what it is meant to do and to be of use it needs to be efficient and work.

But track and trace is far more than just an app.

Many Far Eastern countries carry it out very efficiently, without an app.

1 minute ago, Pettytom said:

There has hardly been any uptake of the French app - it hasn't stopped them coming down like a ton of bricks on new outbreaks in this region of France (Nouvelle Aquitaine / South West).

15 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

That may be so but I think you will find that those very countries where track and trace may work are also mainly countries without much in the way of human rights where it is compulsory to comply. As halibut has already pointed out it's not happening much in pubs. As said, it need to be compulsory to work just like wearing a face mask when shopping now is.

Would you be happy for this government to pay 2.5 million to 3.5 million euros per month to operate just an app like the one in Germany where less than 50% of the population have downloaded it?

7 minutes ago, Longcol said:

There has hardly been any uptake of the French app - it hasn't stopped them coming down like a ton of bricks on new outbreaks in this region of France (Nouvelle Aquitaine / South West).

Precisely, just because something is possible due to modern technology does not mean it should happen. 

Edited by apelike

11 minutes ago, Longcol said:

The Far Eastern nations do it by interviews, reviewing CCTV and phone records. All a bit intrusive, but if it saves lives I guess that’s acceptable.

I imagine that Les Francais do things slightly differently, and with bigger guns😃

12 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

The Far Eastern nations do it by interviews, reviewing CCTV and phone records. All a bit intrusive, but if it saves lives I guess that’s acceptable.

I imagine that Les Francais do things slightly differently, and with bigger guns😃

Have only lived out here for two years but it's interesting that being a citizen comes with a great emphasis on both rights and responsibilities.

And yes - rights are protected - and responsibilities enforced - by "bigger guns".

Track / trace far more devolved than in the UK using much more local knowledge.

Edited by Longcol

17 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Look at this lot in a Lincolnshire pub last Saturday. 

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/pub-landlord-responds-after-photo-4371548

And the landlord will have all their personal contact details of course, won't he? 

and now others who read this may be reluctant to report such transgressions. Seems the person who flagged this up has received a lot of abusive comments from "supporters of the pub".

9 minutes ago, West 77 said:

We're are more likely to be number 1 in the accurate truthful recording of death statistics in Europe than having the highest  excess of death rate in Europe between the end of February and the middle of June this year. 

Ah. British exceptionalism.

It really is time that we lost the superiority complex.

34 minutes ago, West 77 said:

We're are more likely to be number 1 in the accurate truthful recording of death statistics in Europe than having the highest  excess of death rate in Europe between the end of February and the middle of June this year. 

So the Europeans are lying but th magnificent English - led by a proven, repeated liar, are telling the truth.

Right.