Coronavirus - Part Two.

On 26 July 2020 at 14:14, tinfoilhat said:

(...)

That said I think the UK government made the right decision, but, as ever, it's going to be half cocked because nobody will be monitoring returning holiday makers.

The UK government made this decision after Spain had the temerity to chat directly and constructively with the Gibraltarian government about 'what happens from 1st January 2021' last week.

The UK ambassador in Madrid wasn't warned before the decision.

Nothing to do with Covid, or the decision being 'right' (because the UK has such a clean bill of health right now /s). Just punishment (or applied Brexit pressure, take your pick: same difference, as viewed from the continent).

Edited by L00b

38 minutes ago, L00b said:

The UK government made this decision after Spain had the temerity to chat directly and constructively with the Gibraltarian government about 'what happens from 1st January 2021' last week.

The UK ambassador in Madrid wasn't warned before the decision.

Nothing to do with Covid, or the decision being 'right' (because the UK has such a clean bill of health right now /s). Just punishment (or applied Brexit pressure, take your pick: same difference, as viewed from the continent).

Well without the Brits, the Costa's would suffer a hell of a financial battering.  The UK make up by far the largest group of tourists, 18 million last year, nearly double that of the French & Germans combined. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Well without the Brits, the Costa's would suffer a hell of a financial battering.  The UK make up by far the largest group of tourists, 18 million last year, nearly double that of the French & Germans combined. 

That it would (more so absent the EU Covid rescue package, less so now).

And yet, still no more sign of Spanish hoteliers coming to the Brexiting UK rescue, than German car manufacturers or French cheese makers or Italian prosecco bottlers.

But we digress. 

Back to Covid, and it's mildly amusing to witness HMG's (Covid-) hospital mocking the Continental (Covid-) charity yet again. Their gaslighting over Spain's 2nd wave may score some good political points at home,  but it fools noone abroad, and it's definitely not a wise political move with Continental stakeholders who are keeping scores.

Edited by L00b

On 27/07/2020 at 07:59, Baron99 said:

Well generally, in most cases you're going to already know where your work colleagues have been on holiday as they'll have probably mentioned beforehand where they were going.

This latest requirement to quarantine once back in the UK because of hotspots breaking out abroad seems to have taken everyone by surprise but look back & double check to a few weeks ago, to when the Govt eased travel restrictions. 

The clear message, which many appear to have missed in their rush to book holidays was that the situation was fluid & the Govt would not hesitate to reimpose regulations, including having people quarantine on return to the UK. 

There is news this morning that both France & Germany could possibly be added to the list alongside Spain? 

As mentioned yesterday, Germany is seeing a spike in cases all of a sudden & the Germans are now being asked to wear face coverings outside where they can't stay 1.5m apart. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53566880?intlink_from_url=https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/c77jz3md4rdt/germany&link_location=live-reporting-story

"We are in the middle of a rapidly developing pandemic," Lothar Wieler, head of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI), told reporters.

Mr Wieler said Germans had become "negligent" and urged people to wear masks and respect social distancing and hygiene rules."

How long before they are added to the quarantine list? 

Edited by Baron99

On 27/07/2020 at 14:04, ECCOnoob said:

For all the scary numbers this outbreak is still very much causing fatality to the minority of the global population. 

That's not ok.  

You're talking about fellow humans who have every much of a right to life as you.

And it's all the more concerning because those numbers are going up.

An average of 65 deaths per day in the UK, in the last week, and rising.  

For Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson and his chums, they are acceptable losses.  

Not for me.  These are people's mothers, fathers, sons, and daughters.  

The recent easing of restrictions is feeding the curve.  They must be revised immediately.  Let's face it, we don't even have an effective track and trace, like other countries.  We're already starting from way behind.

19 minutes ago, Lex Luthor said:

The recent easing of restrictions is feeding the curve.  They must be revised immediately.  Let's face it, we don't even have an effective track and trace, like other countries.  We're already starting from way behind.

Which countries have an effective track and trace in place?

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

Which countries have an effective track and trace in place?

Romania and Vietnam I'll bet.

18 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Retford is in Nottinghamshire.

Of course it is.  Me not knowing my R's from my elbow. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

And the landlord will have all their personal contact details of course, won't he? 

If it's anything like my local the answer to that question is a resounding 'no'. 

Although it's very well set up in many regards, there is only lip service paid to track and trace. Given the government's staggeringly incompetent inability to provide such a service I can hardly blame them for making such a poor attempt.