Coronavirus - Part Two.

9 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Transport Minister, Grant Shapps, flew out to Spain yesterday afternoon with his family, so clearly nobody kept him in the loop. 

Which is pretty funny.

18 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Which is pretty funny.

It might be the case of; "Well Shapps' in Spain for a fortnight, then he won't be coming in for a further 2 weeks after that.  If he phone up, ignore it.  If he tries to Skype, blame it on a poor IT connection." 😂

"We can get a good month out of this." 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Arnold Lane,

No need for any apology. Your question is a good one and not aggressive  at all.

I don't pretend to be an expert . I was part of Act Up back in the day, and lobbied 

the pharmaceutical /research industry to get some giddy up with their  research into

Antiretrovirals for the treatment of HIV.

The following link explains- better than I can- the advantages of Historica Control Groups over Placebo 

Controls.

https://www.statisticshowto.com/historical-controls/

Hi Pete,

Covid 19 is a new disease.  There is no known cure yet but various different treatments have been used to help patients recover.  

Is it fully understood why some people suffer more than others?  Why might one 30 year old with no underlying health condition get it and die and another be asymptomatic?

Can you have a valid historical control group before you fully understand the disease?

Interesting link but it doesn’t explain why the placebo is being used for the Covid trials rather than historical control groups.  I assume there must be a reason.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

On 25/07/2020 at 20:36, enntee said:

... and how many will actually self-isolate upon return?

Well, if I knew that workmate Fred and his family had just returned from their holiday, and hadn't isolated for a fortnight, I think I'd be saying something to him when he plonks his backside in the office chair next to me....

29 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Well, if I knew that workmate Fred and his family had just returned from their holiday, and hadn't isolated for a fortnight, I think I'd be saying something to him when he plonks his backside in the office chair next to me....

Well generally, in most cases you're going to already know where your work colleagues have been on holiday as they'll have probably mentioned beforehand where they were going.

This latest requirement to quarantine once back in the UK because of hotspots breaking out abroad seems to have taken everyone by surprise but look back & double check to a few weeks ago, to when the Govt eased travel restrictions. 

The clear message, which many appear to have missed in their rush to book holidays was that the situation was fluid & the Govt would not hesitate to reimpose regulations, including having people quarantine on return to the UK. 

There is news this morning that both France & Germany could possibly be added to the list alongside Spain? 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Well generally, in most cases you're going to already know where your work colleagues have been on holiday as they'll have probably mentioned beforehand where they were going.

This latest requirement to quarantine once back in the UK because of hotspots breaking out abroad seems to have taken everyone by surprise but look back & double check to a few weeks ago, to when the Govt eased travel restrictions. 

The clear message, which many appear to have missed in their rush to book holidays was that the situation was fluid & the Govt would not hesitate to reimpose regulations, including having people quarantine on return to the UK. 

There is news this morning that both France & Germany could possibly be added to the list alongside Spain? 

My point exactly.

I would be ...er.. "advising" Fred to vacate his office chair pronto, probably in words of one syllable!

Edited by RiffRaff

18 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Transport Minister, Grant Shapps, flew out to Spain yesterday afternoon with his family, so clearly nobody kept him in the loop. 

Was this the minister who said he wouldn't be booking a foreign holiday any time soon?

Not like a member of this government to do U-turn...

1 hour ago, RiffRaff said:

My point exactly.

I would be ...er.. "advising" Fred to vacate his office chair pronto, probably in words of one syllable!

Uh ah oh?

36 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Uh ah oh?

Precisely!

Perhaps these people who are bleating about their holidays might consider the news that there has been more than a million new cases  globally just in the last four days.

And now a cat has caught it after the experts saying that it can't happen.

Can't post a link as it from yahoo news but....

"A pet cat has tested positive for the coronavirus, the first confirmed case of the strain infecting an animal in the UK.

The government said the cat is thought to have been infected by its owners who had tested positive for COVID-19, though the animal and people have all fully recovered."

Edited by apelike