Coronavirus - Part Two.

5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Or maybe "Are you only wearing your mask over your mouth? You are a moron. Don't be a moron and wear you mask properly".

It's not hard is it.

Anyone not wearing it properly deserves it as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking forward to the day we see someone wearing it only over their mouth scalding someone in public for not wearing one at all. 

I'm seeing very little about the good news on the BBC regarding a potential vaccine triggering an immune response. A quote on the BBC says the trial has been expanded to other countries as the virus levels in the UK are low. Whilst it isn't guaranteed it's a possibility if everything works out well that a vaccine could be developed by the end of the year. An unbelievable accomplishment if it manages to happen. 

Edited by Tomm06

Dump the placebo arm of Covid -19 vaccine trials. Get on with Challenge Vaccination Trials. And well have a vaccine before 2021.

34 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Dump the placebo arm of Covid -19 vaccine trials.

Lets not thank you, placebos are there to determine genuine side effects, I don't want to take a rushed through vaccine and then find out it causes dementia or something because it wasn't done properly. Patience is a virtue.   

Dardedec,

I'm not looking for any thank you.

There are different approaches to clinical trials .

If you care to read the link -I've provided -you will be able to see the context  for what I've written.

Using  a "Historical Control Group" approach can get round having to use placebos.

I'm not advocating compromising safety ,but a means of speeding up the whole process.

The quicker we get to safe and effective treatments and vaccines the more lives will be saved.

Note: Historical Control Group is explained in the link.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/01/world-aids-day-how-aids-activists-changed-medical-research

Edited by petemcewan

32 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Dardedec,

If you care to read the link -I've provided -you will be able to see the context  for what I've written.

Using  a "Historical Control Group" approach can get round having to use placebos.

I'm not advocating compromising safety ,but a means of speeding up the whole process.

The quicker we get to safe and effective treatments and vaccines the more lives will be saved.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/01/world-aids-day-how-aids-activists-changed-medical-research

True enough.  Why do you think experts in this field have chosen the placebo route when they could have used a Historical Control Group that a guy on Sheffield Forum with no relevant qualifications says is better?

3 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Dardedec,

How do we have a Historical Control Group of enough depth to provide a comparison without any doubt in a trial of a brand new drug that has only just started development?

You can't. The data doesn't exist for those administering the trial to know that patient N who weighs X, is Y years old and has ABCDE and F underlying health conditions will react in the test conditions compared to someone being given the drug. You need thousands of people to get this data from previous clinical trials with placebos.

Well, I don't know about all that folks, but I would like to see the figures from new infections in Leeds and Liverpool in around a fortnight.  Both football teams are having celebrations (again) and telling fans not to go to the respective stadiums.  Hasn't stopped them before, has it?  Expect the evening news to have footage of thousands of fans again NOT social distancing, NOT wearing masks, and NOT being arrested as there are simply too many of them for the police to handle.

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Well, I don't know about all that folks, but I would like to see the figures from new infections in Leeds and Liverpool in around a fortnight.  Both football teams are having celebrations (again) and telling fans not to go to the respective stadiums.  Hasn't stopped them before, has it?  Expect the evening news to have footage of thousands of fans again NOT social distancing, NOT wearing masks, and NOT being arrested as there are simply too many of them for the police to handle.

Watching Look North earlier & couldn't believe it when they interviewed a woman with her 2 children, stood outside Elland Rd.  She claimed to be a health worker & said she wasn't worried about the crowds which would be bound to gather there as "She had been tested'(?).  Eh? 

Just watching the Liverpool v Chelsea game on tv.  They've just showed fireworks going off outside, one side of Anfield, so there's definitely a few fans gathered outside there too. 

1 hour ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Here’s your baseline, Leeds figures as of today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274?&xtor=ES-211-[34214_PANUK_NLT_29_ENG_DEARNHS_RET_O35]-20200721-[bbcnews_howmanyconfirmedcoronaviruscasesinyourareacoronavirus2020_factualhealth]

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

Thanks - will keep an eye on this!

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Let the mask confusion start

Might have helped if published the guidelines a bit earlier than 12 hours before, and especially the take away confusion.