Coronavirus - Part Two.

On 16/07/2020 at 07:23, Baron99 said:

Early stage data from the vaccine trials of Oxford University & AstraZeneca collaboration are due next week. 

https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN24G1BW

Here's hoping that it's a step towards a possible vaccine? 

The Chinese are already deploying a vaccine for their military based on this;

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31208-3/fulltext?fbclid=IwAR3GDyLS9m4WZJNU42z9hv9hAHz_xwEY0fQ69hd-dLV69U2ZO-UR8o32JhQ

More incompetence from PHE, as it emerges English deaths have been logged as Covid-19 even if the person has made a full recovery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53443724

I wonder how many deaths in nursing homes have been wrongly attributed to Covid-19?

I heard yesterday on the radio that "Challenge Vaccination Trials" for Covid-19 are being considered. Such a programme can speed up the introduction of a safe and effective

vaccine.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/center-news/2020/06/covid-vaccine-challenge-trials.html

Vaccine front runners

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/covid-19-vaccine-frontrunners-67382?utm_campaign=TS_DAILY NEWSLETTER_2020&utm_medium=email&_hs

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

More incompetence from PHE, as it emerges English deaths have been logged as Covid-19 even if the person has made a full recovery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53443724

I wonder how many deaths in nursing homes have been wrongly attributed to Covid-19?

More to the point- how many deaths in nursing homes were caused by discharging untested patients from hospitals. And no matter about the technicalities of counting covid related deaths - the UK had  the highest percentage excess deaths of any European country.

53 minutes ago, Longcol said:

More to the point- how many deaths in nursing homes were caused by discharging untested patients from hospitals. And no matter about the technicalities of counting covid related deaths - the UK had  the highest percentage excess deaths of any European country.

Actually I think you will find that those 'technicalities' you seem to disregard are very important in determining the relevance and context to what is deemed "highest percentage" and how it should be interpreted.

If one country is including figures on all deaths on all circumstances on all people who coincidentally have the disease irrelevant of whether it was a direct cause  vs another country who is only recording coronara deaths in a specific limited scenario on a Tuesday when the full moon is out....I think it is pretty arguable that they are deemed unfair comparisons. 

Add on the fact that this is an ongoing situation and there is new data coming out all the time -  in my opinion it is far too early to start any sort of finger pointing and useless comparators  

Edited by ECCOnoob

44 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Apart from Spain.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/#z-scores-by-country

Am in agreement with ECCOnoob here, having changed my mind a bit about country comparisons, after witnessing how we have been red-lanterned by others (Belgium, Sweden -talk about hospitals mocking charity!) over a 2nd wave, only because we're mass-testing at the rate of 12+ in 1000, when most (all?) other EU countries are still only 'mass'-testing at 1+ per 1000, if that much.

Edited by L00b

Hi all can anyone help 

I need to have some form of exemption for an elderly lady with severe breathing difficulties around wearing a mask in shops

i have spoken to her go who are not giving any certificate or exemption 

I was told to visit government website but there isn’t any option to apply for anything like this? I am at a total loss and don’t know where else to ask any help would be gratefully received 

regards corrina

On 15/07/2020 at 21:12, L00b said:

The government is under self-imposed pressure to get things back to normal soonest, because after 3+ months of suspended economic activity, anticipated tax receipts must be looking a bit problematic. 

I can't see people shopping as they did before the lock down.

Yesterday  Mrs D and I went into Canterbury which is usually heaving with tourists, parties of foreign students and shoppers.

The place was dead, a ghost town, all the little gift shops closed.

Debenhams shut for good, M&S almost empty as was the big store Fenwicks.

It was  very sad.

We were very apprehensive when we started from home but realised that  things were not as usual  when we drove into the carpark which was almost empty.

Normally there were only two or three spaces available.

Edited by davyboy

Here you go to all the naysayers regarding wearing a face mask / covering. 

As the doctor says, "Stop making stuff up.... This is a lie made up as an excuse by those who believe the pandemic is a hoax and that wearing a mask somehow encroaches on their rights." 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/nhs-doctor-masks-oxygen-video-joshua-wolrich-a4499876.html

Will you take some advice from someone on the front line? 

What am I thinking?  Some of you will probably believe he's in on the mind / social control exercise? 

Edited by Baron99

But perhaps many of those people could have lived many more years in reasonable health managing their underlying health condition.  “Underlying health condition” covers a wide spectrum of conditions many of which are not life limiting if managed properly. 

23 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

bbc radio 2 today

jeremy vine

12:10

Ian duncan smith

very very interesting

his statement on there

only 4% of those who died with covid 19 did not have underliening health problems.

so.  if there where 50,000  claimed deaths
it only killed 2000 healthy people  

lets put that another way
the uk,  bankrupt.    for a 1 in 33,000 chance. 

59 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

bbc radio 2 today

jeremy vine

12:10

Ian duncan smith

very very interesting, his statement on there only 4% of those who died with covid 19 did not have underliening health problems. so.  if there where 50,000  claimed deaths it only killed 2000 healthy people  

lets put that another way
the uk,  bankrupt.    for a 1 in 33,000 chance.

Lets put that another way.

The Health Survey for England 2017 estimates that 28.7% of adults in England are obese and a further 35.6% are overweight, is that an underlying health condition?

Cardiovascular disease, CVD affects around seven million people in the UK

How many people in the UK have asthma? We found that 8 million people – over 12% of the populationhave been diagnosed with asthma.

That could be you, me or anyone, not just those in care homes.

I do agree, its cost way too much money, but that is because we were not ready and we were too slow once we started to get ready.