Coronavirus - Part Two.

Due to a forum glitch the previous thread got merged with another enormous thread so two new threads are being created on the same subject. 

The usual rules apply - keep it civil and post within forum rules. 

Brexit more important than lives apparently.

On what planet does the UK government thinks it has more purchasing power than the EU or the US?  Not to mention that there are currently only THREE potential vaccines at human trials, one is the AstraZeneca / Oxford University and the other two are Chinese.  Guess who AstraZeneca signed a contract with in regards to the vaccine it is developing? The "Europe’s Inclusive Vaccines Alliance".

You really couldn't make up the incompetence of this government.

https://www.ft.com/content/0160c4b4-8406-401a-860f-4de62deb9bab

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Albert the Cat said:

On what planet does the UK government thinks it has more purchasing power than the EU or the US?  Not to mention that there are currently only THREE potential vaccines at human trials, one is the AstraZeneca / Oxford University and the other two are Chinese.  Guess who AstraZeneca signed a contract with in regards to the vaccine it is developing? The "Europe’s Inclusive Vaccines Alliance".

There’s no vaccine coming for this Virus - not in anytime to affect this pandemic anyway.

maybe future ones.

It’s hard to say where we are at with this virus at the moment.

I am delighted that the number of infections appears to be down,and the numbers of attributable deaths.Also that some relaxations have not yet resulted in any massive spikes.

The improvement can only be as a result of social distancing and following the handwashing routine.

Certainly it cannot be down to warmer weather when you look at what is going off in Arizona.

It looks as though face covering/masks are going to be more widely required in the U.K, in the future.

The Government pressure is now all about getting people back to work in the leisure and service industries and many potential  customers are concerned .

So definitive information is impossible to find but I am sure that many will remain cautious,and particularly so because a few think it’s history or that they are untouchable.

Edited by RJRB

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

It’s hard to say where we are at with this virus at the moment.

I am delighted that the number of infections appears to be down,and the numbers of attributable deaths.Also that some relaxations have not yet resulted in any massive spikes.

The improvement can only be as a result of social distancing and following the handwashing routine.

Certainly it cannot be down to warmer weather when you look at what is going off in Arizona.

It looks as though face covering/masks are going to be more widely required in the U.K, in the future.

The Government pressure is now all about getting people back to work in the leisure and service industries and many potential  customers are concerned .

So definitive information is impossible to find but I am sure that many will remain cautious,and particularly so because a few think it’s history or that they are untouchable.

I saw a reference to the possibility of making face masks compulsory at some point on the news tonight in a report that referred to the 'People's PMQ' s'. 

I can't see the point in possibly awaiting an increase in infections now that more people are out & about, returning to work, going out for social reasons & then implementing a mandatory wearing of face coverings / face masks?  Why not bring the rule on at the start of all this? 

A certain number of people will still get infected but those numbers will be low & manageable & there would probably be no reason for any local lockdown? 

Well it now seems to be considered an additional mitigating factor which was denied by many for months.The cynical might say that the general public was discouraged from buying them to avoid further shortages for the front line workers.

Similar to the shifting info on testing,tracking and tracing ,which in many peoples opinion is not sufficiently in place to work as restrictions are lifted.

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

There’s no vaccine coming for this Virus - not in anytime to affect this pandemic anyway.

maybe future ones.

I predict though that one may be available just after the AIDS one comes online so it should be sometime soon, possibly, maybe as they started on that in the late 1980s.

If the EU want to to use a €2.7bn (£2.4bn) emergency fund to seal advance purchase agreements on something that has not yet been produced then let them. 

Guest makapaka
6 minutes ago, apelike said:

I predict though that one may be available just after the AIDS one comes online so it should be sometime soon, possibly, maybe as they started on that in the late 1980s.

If the EU want to to use a €2.7bn (£2.4bn) emergency fund to seal advance purchase agreements on something that has not yet been produced then let them. 

I agree.

if the reports are to be believed we’ve done ok so far in the early development stage.

3 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

There are apparently 120 early vaccine developments worldwide with 13 now in clinical trials, including 2 in the UK from Oxford Uni & Imperial College London. 

Presumably the last 2 are ours in the UK.  Rather than turning this into some Brexit issue, I think what we should be focusing on is that at worst, none of them will work or at best, it'll be next year before we get one that will. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-53061288#aoh=15944141467441&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

Listened to BBC Question Time tonight, panel seemed divided re self preservation or sharing and/or subsidising resources

I recall in the previous thread a number of comments, regarding  people not social distancing, directing their complaints, especially towards younger generation. 

Anybody notice on the tv news yesterday, the crowds, mainly people I'd say 60+ years old, not socially distancing, almost no face coverings worn, out in the streets, paying their respects at Vera Lynn's funeral? 

The very age groups that should be doing everything possible to protect themselves. 

Edited by Baron99

10 hours ago, RJRB said:

Well it now seems to be considered an additional mitigating factor which was denied by many for months.The cynical might say that the general public was discouraged from buying them to avoid further shortages for the front line workers.

Similar to the shifting info on testing,tracking and tracing ,which in many peoples opinion is not sufficiently in place to work as restrictions are lifted.

Wasn't it originally thought to be unnecessary to be made mandatory (by the WHO) because social distancing and handwashing is more effective than masks?

And because wearing a mask gave people a false sense of security so they didn't follow other guidelines?

The masks will be most effective if used properly - not the way most people seem to be using them...