Coronavirus - Part Two.

14 minutes ago, apelike said:

Nowt to do with common sense at all but to give people that false feeling of being more secure because I am wearing one as I know they do very little to help stop the spread. I mentioned a while ago on the previous thread that they will become the necessary much needed fashion accessory and that's basically all they are.

Its commonsense to gain entry into a shop, :hihi:

Seems to be hard for you to understand that masks are but one form of defence against covid.

We have to use ALL forms of defence against it or it will get through and continue to infect people.

If you care little about others and don't want to use a mask then, fine look after yourself but I hope you won't be allowed in any shop that caring people with common sense are in.

I'm all for face covering's,  but please give them a good washing out every night!!

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I don't get it? 

Look across all the related Coronavirus /  COVID-19 threads on here, & generally the same posters who were decrying our Govt., for not taking decisive, while at the same time praising foreign Govts for their authoritarian actions by introducing severe lockdowns, making the wearing of face coverings mandatory at all times when people were out & about; are now getting themselves into hissy-fits, screaming about their civil rights & liberties being infringed because they are asked to ware a face covering when popping into a shop. 

Here's an idea.  If you don't fancy complying, ask a responsible grown up to pick your groceries up instead. 

No there's only one having a hissy fit and he's a known right winger like his anti mask wearer mate trump

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

The police need telling that they are expected to do their job properly.

They won’t (and haven’t for ages) come for a shop lifter, or burglary or many other crimes - often because they are short on numbers, they won’t come out for this.

38 minutes ago, zaci said:

I'm all for face covering's,  but please give them a good washing out every night!!

Most viruses will only last a few hours on hard surfaces, less of soft surfaces. So any virus will not survive overnight.

Just watched a 30 year old NHS doctor being interviewed on the BBC. 

She caught COVID-19, through work.  She described herself as previously healthy & reckoned that her infection wasn't that severe & it only required her to self-isolate at home. 

However now, she's been off work for 13 weeks, struggles, on a good day to walk 1km on the flat without fighting for breath.  On the bad days, as she put it, she gets breathless doing the washing up. 

It's also left her with chest pains & palpitations.  The frightening thing was when she went back for a check up & explained all her ailments to her doctor, he said he was as much in the dark with these complaints caused by COVID-19 & there's nothing he can really do anything for her.  She'll just have to bear it out & hopefully in time her condition will get better. 

It just shows you what you can end up with, with COVID-19, even from a 'mildish' attack, evebln when you're a previously healthy 30 year old. 

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Its commonsense to gain entry into a shop, :hihi:

So why is it not commonsense now? There are a number of problems here... there have been no clinical trials of their effectiveness and it's also not known if anybody who is thought to be asymptomatic can then spread it so should wear a face mask.  A cloth face mask could actually cause the virus to spread more because it can get damp and the wearer is touching it and then reusing it more as opposed to the clinical disposable ones that are recommended by WHO and scientists. People may put them on when travelling on public transport and then take the off and put them in their pocket for later use which could be for shopping. In the meantime that person will the go on to touch various item in the shop which can then be touched by others thus making the wearing of them void. Using a cloth one is only lulling people into a false sense of security, on the other hand with regards to security they also put a stop to facial recognition which is one bonus! 

24 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Most viruses will only last a few hours on hard surfaces, less of soft surfaces. So any virus will not survive overnight.

According to this they could last around 72 hours on plastic surfaces. 

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

Edited by apelike

1 minute ago, apelike said:

So why is it not commonsense now? There are a number of problems here... there have been no clinical trials of their effectiveness and it's also not known if anybody who is thought to be asymptomatic can then spread it so should wear a face mask.  A cloth face mask could actually cause the virus to spread more because it can get damp and the wearer is touching it and then reusing it more as opposed to the clinical disposable ones that are recommended by WHO and scientists. People may put them on when travelling on public transport and then take the off and put them in their pocket for later use which could be for shopping. In the meantime that person will the go on to touch various item in the shop which can then be touched by others thus making the wearing of them void. Using a cloth one is only lulling people into a false sense of security, on the other hand with regards to security they also put a stop to facial recognition which is one bonus! 

I was taught to put my hands over my mouth when I coughed or sneezed, the same detail for face mask, to prevent  (germs/droplets) coming out of our mouths,  its a no brainer,  lets just get on with it, just glad we are not  talking about air raid shelters because there is always that idiot that would argue that its safer to stand in an open field. :loopy:

1 minute ago, PRESLEY said:

I was taught to put my hands over my mouth when I coughed or sneezed, the same detail for face mask, to prevent  (germs/droplets) coming out of our mouths,  its a no brainer,  lets just get on with it, just glad we are not  talking about air raid shelters because there is always that idiot that would argue that its safer to stand in an open field. :loopy:

Ahh, the don't like it so introduce a strawman argument. As pointed out there is absolutely no scientific evidence to show that cloth face masks prevent the spread but evidence to show they may contribute. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

No there's only one having a hissy fit and he's a known right winger like his anti mask wearer mate trump

whos having a hissy fit??? a known right winger??? nothing like face value eh? and i thought trump was wearing one now?? see its political pressure and a comfort blanket other wise it would have been compulsory from day one.

2 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

whos having a hissy fit??? a known right winger??? nothing like face value eh? and i thought trump was wearing one now?? see its political pressure and a comfort blanket other wise it would have been compulsory from day one.

hes been forced to wear one as the infected cases is going through the roof