Coronavirus - Part Two.

Being in the top five of at risk councils we need "enhanced support" . In, Sheffield we now have  a new walk in testing centre on Worksop Road.

You are advised to wear a mask when you cannot socially distance. Transport has different rules and advice.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

14 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

The government need to be making more noise about this. It’s pointless wearing a mask if you aren’t to wear it properly and keeping jabbing at your face with grubby fingers.

Yes, I’ve thought this too.

Ive also heard that masks do not work if they get wet. If that is correct they aren’t going to be much use in winter!

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, Pettytom said:

That all depends upon who agrees with you.

I have the WHO on my side.

You seem to have Brenda from Twitter on yours.

No not Brenda from twitter - the WHO - who also aren’t on your side;

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-and-masks

Note from WHO website (link above) the following

“For countries that are considering the use of masks, WHO advises decision-makers to apply a risk-based approach to decide where, when and what type of masks should be used. “

“At the present time, the widespread use of masks everywhere is not supported by high-quality scientific evidence, and there are potential benefits and harms to consider”.

“Non-medical or fabric masks could increase potential for COVID-19 to infect a person if the mask is contaminated by dirty hands and touched often, or kept on other parts of the face or head and then placed back over the mouth and nose”

Note that nothing suggests mandatory face coverings in public places..

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

I'll see your Huffington Post & Guardian & raise you the with my BBC. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-51768274#referrer=https://www.google.com

The figures presented for deaths on the 11th are more than double what they were this time last week. 

148 deaths reported yesterday compared with 67 same time last week. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

And if you use July 10th and July 3rd then deaths are a third of what they were the week prior.

you need to read the rolling averages in the links you’ve quoted - both of which clearly show that deaths and cases continue to fall.

My wife's employer's H&S team dictated that, during the recent hot weather, the office's aircon was not to be used.

Desktop fans were also banned on the grounds that they circulated air.

As the virus is likely still with us this coming winter, is office heating going to be a casualty as well?

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

No not Brenda from twitter - the WHO - who also aren’t on your side;

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-on-covid-19-and-masks

Note from WHO website (link above) the following

“For countries that are considering the use of masks, WHO advises decision-makers to apply a risk-based approach to decide where, when and what type of masks should be used. “

Thank you for underlining my point. The WHO advice is very much in favour of using masks as part of a strategy for containing the virus.

Given that Sheffield has been identified as being at risk of further lockdown and of needing support,  the WHO guidance you’ve quoted clearly suggests that masks are a good idea in this city, at the moment.

A few days ago, an announcement on being able to visit care homes was "imminent".

Have I missed it? I can't find any update.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

Thank you for underlining my point. The WHO advice is very much in favour of using masks as part of a strategy for containing the virus.

Given that Sheffield has been identified as being at risk of further lockdown and of needing support,  the WHO guidance you’ve quoted clearly suggests that masks are a good idea in this city, at the moment.

This is the advice to Canadians on the 24th June

"when physical distancing cannot be maintained, consider wearing a non-medical mask or homemade face covering" still rather late in the day, but if there are more outbreaks, late is still good.

I believe we have issued similar advice, but very few are listening because the Government is all over the place.

"Senior minister Michael Gove has said he does not think face coverings should be compulsory in shops in England, saying he trusts people's common sense."

More than we can trust Johnson, Cummings and the Govester, I presume.

19 minutes ago, steved32 said:

"Senior minister Michael Gove has said he does not think face coverings should be compulsory in shops in England, saying he trusts people's common sense."

More than we can trust Johnson, Cummings and the Govester, I presume.

I think his trust is misguided 

Also at times I think that the Government guidance is questionable and confused.

Edited by RJRB

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Nice try. 

7 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Nice try. 

Do you not understand the guidance that you quoted?

Guest makapaka
24 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Do you not understand the guidance that you quoted?

Yes. 

There’s nothing  in there that supports mandatory use of face coverings in places such as Sheffield.

You thought there was - but there isn’t.

it might do one day - but not now.

its not Brenda off twitter saying that either - its the WHO you seem happy to rely on.

unless they’re fools curtailing your freedom also.

Edited by makapaka