Re- opened today, been told it was very busy.

Latest news; 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/john-lewis-stay-sheffield-least-18842954.amp#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

"The future of John Lewis In Sheffield has been secured for the next 20 years in a deal announced with the City Council which will also see the Barkers Pool store refurbished....  Sheffield Council described the lease as "restructured" but released no further details."

Well retaining a quality store like this & developing Barkers Pool, will fit in with the new Radison Blu hotel development that was announced a couple of days ago, just around the corner on Pinstone St. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Latest news; 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/john-lewis-stay-sheffield-least-18842954.amp#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s

"The future of John Lewis In Sheffield has been secured for the next 20 years in a deal announced with the City Council which will also see the Barkers Pool store refurbished....  Sheffield Council described the lease as "restructured" but released no further details."

Well retaining a quality store like this & developing Barkers Pool, will fit in with the new Radison Blu hotel development that was announced a couple of days ago, just around the corner on Pinstone St. 

It is key to preserving the city centre as a shopping destination 

8 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It is key to preserving the city centre as a shopping destination 

Very much so. Money well spent by SCC.

but not if they dont stay the 20 years,theyve stated that up to 70% of there trade will be online in the next few years,if they stay 20 years fine,but i doubt it,debenhams in trouble the day of a department  store will be well gone in the  next few years,if the store thinks its great to stay ,why dont they pay for it,if they think its so good,another SCC disaster in my view.

39 minutes ago, bassett one said:

but not if they dont stay the 20 years,theyve stated that up to 70% of there trade will be online in the next few years,if they stay 20 years fine,but i doubt it,debenhams in trouble the day of a department  store will be well gone in the  next few years,if the store thinks its great to stay ,why dont they pay for it,if they think its so good,another SCC disaster in my view.

How much has it cost SCC? How much is recouped in rates from shops which would not exist without an anchor store to attract footfall?

And it's about more than pounds and pence, it's about keeping some life in the city centre.

There’s a lot of life in the city centre  but a lot of it is not the sort you’d want. I and a lot of my friends don’t go to ‘town’ anymore because of chuggers, aggressive beggars and spice users sprawled out on public seating.

So the cost for the council buying the lease for John Lewis £3 million .

The Chinese will be very happy - a lot of their stock is made there, branded John Lewis and sold at inflated prices.  I thought they had announced that the "never knowingly undersold" had been dropped

40 minutes ago, Elmambo said:

The Chinese will be very happy - a lot of their stock is made there, branded John Lewis and sold at inflated prices.  I thought they had announced that the "never knowingly undersold" had been dropped

Congratulations you have pretty much described the basic concept of how to retail 101.

Not really fair to be singling out John Lewis on that one....it's pretty much what every single other retailer does - online or otherwise.

Source and manufacturer using the cheapest possible materials and methods, wholesale in the largest quantity from the cheapest location and brand it in the most attractive way to maximise price and profit. 

So SCC has ended up spending £3 million securing the 20 year agreement with John Lewis, according to The Star in a FOI request.  Like Prince Al above, I'd say it's money well spent as well. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/things-to-do/council-chief-reveals-how-sheffields-john-lewis-will-be-refurbished-and-which-shops-city-centre-could-have-future-2989106

Especially if the other parts of the project stated in the piece come together?

I'd especially think the city centre could do with a few more independent stores, especially those run by local entrepreneurs.