1 hour ago, Shefflich said:

It's a great shame, especially as years ago when Meadowhell opened, it was really John Lewis's decision to remain in the city centre (along with W H Smith and M & S ) that saved the centre.  Things have changed a lot since then of course and JL is struggling.  I now live in Lichfield in Staffordshire and both our nearest John Lewis stores have now closed, (Tamworth and Birmingham).  Solihull remains open and is now our nearest JL but it's an awkward journey to get to it.  We had said that if we were really wanting to go to a store it would be easier to come back up to Sheffield but now that options gone as well.  You do wonder how any town/city centre can continue. Sad times.  

It looks like Leicester's going to be your nearest aside from Solihull then.

They could fill each floor by moving all the charity shops into the building. Bulldoze Haymarket area and city centre might have a chance of being reasonable again.

18 minutes ago, nightrider said:

The council is also spinning it as no lost money because they have an asset....not sure the building is much of an asset without the tenant though!

depends what they do with it

I know to a lot of people it is seen as a critical shop in the city centre but genuine question how many people actually regularly purchase from there? Not online not at Waitrose not buying the odd coffee in the cafe but actually buy products  from the physical store because I don't know many.

The store is extremely dated and you can see much larger ranges of things like electricals online or at one of the massive out of town superstores like Currys.You have places like Ikea selling bigger ranges of items for the home and although it would not be my choice the likes of Primark serving the cheaper end of the clothing market and sports shops selling a lot of the designer gear like north face ect.

They will still be good for buying TV's online with 5 year guarantees.

The people that did go into town purposely to visit the store will perhaps have also nipped to other shops whilst they were there, but that footfall will now perhaps be gone which will have a negative effect on all those other shops.

Edited by WarPig

34 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

I know to a lot of people it is seen as a critical shop in the city centre but genuine question how many people actually regularly purchase from there? Not online not at Waitrose not buying the odd coffee in the cafe but actually buy products  from the physical store because I don't know many.

The store is extremely dated and you can see much larger ranges of things like electricals online or at one of the massive out of town superstores like Currys.You have places like Ikea selling bigger ranges of items for the home and although it would not be my choice the likes of Primark serving the cheaper end of the clothing market and sports shops selling a lot of the designer gear like north face ect.

I did buy stuff there, Christmas gifts and clothes when I wanted something of good quality that I could look at properly and try on before buying.  I do think a lot of people will miss John Lewis and others shops that have gone in the city centre.  On a more optimistic note I think maybe more small, independent shops will take some of trade the big chains had.  The pandemic has accelerated the move to more online shopping but there are still plenty of people who want to buy in shops at least some of the time. 

Edited by redruby

14 minutes ago, WarPig said:

The people that did go into town purposely to visit the store will perhaps have also nipped to other shops whilst they were there, but that footfall will now perhaps be gone which will have a negative effect on all those other shops.

Definitely this. 

We generally only went into Sheffield when we needed to go to JL and then went to other shops while we were there. Now we have no reason to go to Sheffield at all, and will likely end up going to Meadowhall or Leeds. 

If the building is demolished, that will include the car park, so there'll be fewer parking places.

Keep the car park, keep the cafe, convert it to a new Central Library, freeing up the existing Library building for a more appropriate redevelopment.

13 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Keep the car park, keep the cafe, convert it to a new Central Library, freeing up the existing Library building for a more appropriate redevelopment.

Such as student accommodation 

2 hours ago, WarPig said:

Yes I agree with that.I dob't doubt its a negative but don't think its the force that it was.

I know a lot of people having worked in retail for years but hardly any visit the physical store now, some buy online  and a few visit the cafe but that is not going to pay the bills.