7 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Come on, lets not pretend everything was fine then and isnt now.

Nobody has, it's all in your head. The thread is about John Lewis, and the demise of department stores.

Edited by fools

9 minutes ago, fools said:

Nobody has, it's all in your head. The thread is about John Lewis, and the demise of department stores.

So nothing to do with cars in city centres then, so why bring it up as if the 1950s were some form of utopia?

Everything to do with cars in city centres, but nothing to do with outdoor toilets. Where did anyone suggest it was a utopia. I said it was bustling..

Edited by fools

The alarming regularity of people bringing up "the good old days" on this forum suggests everyone thinks it was a fault free fantastic era of history. 

But yes, we digress.

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The alarming regularity of people bringing up "the good old days" on this forum suggests everyone thinks it was a fault free fantastic era of history. 

But yes, we digress.

Agreed. 

When I first came to Sheffield some parts of it were horrible. The old markets and the hole in road were really grotty and smelly. 

But some things were good - like the variety of shops.

On 15/08/2022 at 23:19, fools said:

The original Coles featured on the Footage Detectives a few weeks ago (3/7/22 if you want to watch it on catchup).

70 year old Sheffield city centre was bustling in those days, cars (shock horror) and everything, didn't notice any stacked burger vans on Fargate.

I saw the earlier episode where the presenters were asking for info as to where the film was shot?  I never clocked on it was Sheffield until I briefly saw High Green on a tram & then the old bank which is now the Banker's Draft. 

23 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

SCC are trying to have it delisted!

See BBC News item today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-62574310

I don't often sing praises about the council but this is something I can certainly get behind.

Compared to some of the things that have been listed -  I really don't get the significance of the old John Lewis building. What is so vital in preserving its heritage?  It looks exactly the same as many other buildings built in the same era, exactly the same format as many other department stores thrown together in the same period.  Just in Sheffield alone, you could line-up the old Schofields/Cockaynes building, Roberts Brothers building, Walsh's building and Cole Brothers buildings together, take the branding off and they all have similarities. Multiply that by the dozens and dozens of similar stores built in cities up and down the land there are plenty of examples already preserved.

I am no architect but they were almost carbon copies.  Some sort of formed concrete shell with either glass or tiling decor, big glass windows at the front, smaller less glamorous entrance at the back with or without service yard/car park, some sort of central atrium with the escalators, lifts at the back, stairs to the side, perfume and fancy stuff on the ground floor, mens shoved in the basement, ladies on the first floor, homeware and cafes on the second floor or above.

We are a provincial city, ten penny to many others. The building is hardly Selfridges or Macys.

Given the company who built and occupied it certainly stopped giving a toss about it's 'legacy' and 'heritage' once the tills stopped ringing,I don't understand why anyone else should

Edited by ECCOnoob

Far better than it standing empty because nobody wants to touch it because its a listed building. Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 2

Realistically department stores are dead or at least on their last legs.

Large supermarkets are slowly dwindling as online takes over all retail outlets.

The rise in the quick delivery as competition for small shops is eating into the corner shop trade, newsagents/tobacconists  are a dinosaurs who are fading into history. Record and bookshops are hard to find which leaves us with empty city centres.

Would it not be better to use City centres for accommodation and entertainment provision incorporating social areas like community gardens skate parks etc.

The only retail outlets that seem to be prospering are garden centres and even these are becoming destinations sites where people go for a stroll have a coffee/dine or maybe take kids to play areas.

• Like 2