18 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

HSBC, I guess.

No, SCC had it built for them. 

Guest makapaka
10 hours ago, Planner1 said:

No, SCC had it built for them. 

And it brought vast increase in employment to the city at the time didn’t it.

including people moving to the city to work there.

13 hours ago, makapaka said:

And it brought vast increase in employment to the city at the time didn’t it.

including people moving to the city to work there.

Do you mean their original Griffin House building on Silver St?

The one I mean is the new Grosvenor House building. The staff from Griffin House have now moved into it.  This has brought the jobs into the very centre of the city and should help city centre businesses. If SCC hadn’t sorted the new building for them, the jobs could have moved elsewhere as they wanted to move out of Griffin House. 

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Do you mean their original Griffin House building on Silver St?

The one I mean is the new Grosvenor House building. The staff from Griffin House have now moved into it.  This has brought the jobs into the very centre of the city and should help city centre businesses. If SCC hadn’t sorted the new building for them, the jobs could have moved elsewhere as they wanted to move out of Griffin House. 

Sorry yeah I thought that’s what was being talked about.

On 12/04/2021 at 12:48, Resident said:

Lets face facts, he hasn't got any of that but then seemingly neither have SCC...

Exactly tell me then what have Sheffield scc  done done for the city  why do you think they are talking to John Lewis  to try and sort a deal . They puss footed around hammerson   went to Leeds  they are useless 

Edited by ormester

3 hours ago, ormester said:

Exactly tell me then what have Sheffield scc  done done for the city  why do you think they are talking to John Lewis  to try abd sort a deal . They puss footed arou d hammers in went to Leeds  they are useless 

Well said!

I see JLP can dig out money from the back of the sofa when it suits them.

I mean, god forbid the Chelsea set has suffer their favourite corner shop looking a bit worn and dated...

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/leisure-retail/john-lewis-peter-jones-renovation-b930459.html

Its quite an extraordinary message putting out to loyal customers elsewhere.

For those within the comfortable bubble of the M25 they have the choice and convenience of 8 different stores all within the Greater London boundaries but seemingly for those in the regions you can just about go and kiss their never knowingly undersold backside. 

You want to be worthy of using their stores...  put the effort in, travel some distance and make a special trip.  Be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by ECCOnoob

It doesn't seem long ago when people on here were saying how fabulous JL was does it.

On 21/04/2021 at 13:38, the_bloke said:

It doesn't seem long ago when people on here were saying how fabulous JL was does it.

And now it is fabulous, i.e. imaginary. See https://www.thefreedictionary.com/fabulous which says

a. Of the nature of a fable or myth; legendary.

b. Told of or celebrated in fables or legends.

[Middle English, mythical, from Old French fabuleux, from Latin fābulōsus, from fābula, fable; see fable.]

Think I must belong to a minority group of people because I have never liked John Lewis stores.

I won't miss it but do feel for the staff who are losing their jobs.

I have been trying to come up with  date that John Lewis Sheffield actually closed.

What date did it last actually serve a customer ? Was that different from its official closure date ?

Did it actually ever reopen after the Lockdown ?