On 01/04/2021 at 11:19, nightrider said:

It amazes me that I rarely hear anyone with a good word to say about SCC....yet time after time the labour party is voted back in.

You need to cultivate a more diverse group of friends them.

15 hours ago, WarPig said:

Well they did a great job of stopping SCC selling off part of Graves Park for development. I'm grateful for that.

Many Councils are selling off property to offset deficits in government funding and ever growing demand for services, so that’s  not just a Sheffield issue and on the grand scale of things, not a major issue.

They were in power for 4 years across two stints. Doesn’t appear anyone noticed any great difference on the significant issues.

18 hours ago, Prettytom said:

You need to cultivate a more diverse group of friends them.

And Labour have done good for the city 😂😂

Edited by ormester

8 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Many Councils are selling off property to offset deficits in government funding and ever growing demand for services, so that’s  not just a Sheffield issue and on the grand scale of things, not a major issue.

They were in power for 4 years across two stints. Doesn’t appear anyone noticed any great difference on the significant issues.

But Graves Park isn't wasn't the councils land to sell, but they were going to sell it anyway.

Edited by WarPig

I agree with Pete McKee's view that the John Lewis site should now be demolished. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consumer/flatten-it-pete-mckee-calls-for-demolition-of-john-lewis-so-sheffield-can-be-ahead-of-the-game-3179822

Wasn't one of the issues surrounding the site that it needed a lot of work doing to it to bring it up to date? 

If you want to keep John Lewis or if John Lewis want to remain in some capacity in Sheffield, wouldn't it make more sense to have a presence in Sheffield where there is a larger footfall of customers, namely in Measowhall?  They could take over the space vacated by Debenhams. 

i heard of a unusual idea,it works in many citys,but its normally a big high  industrial unit and only for 6 weeks a year,turn john lewis store into a funfair downstairs/outside,a big lot of stalls and a big santas grotto on the top floor,but what about the other 46 weeks,but the idea of a indoor funfair/grotto/stalls all indoors would be a great idea,it works elsewhere.

Item about John Lewis Sheffield on ‘You and Yours’, Radio 4 today. It’s about 20 minutes in. 

On 04/04/2021 at 05:54, Baron99 said:

I agree with Pete McKee's view that the John Lewis site should now be demolished. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/business/consumer/flatten-it-pete-mckee-calls-for-demolition-of-john-lewis-so-sheffield-can-be-ahead-of-the-game-3179822

Wasn't one of the issues surrounding the site that it needed a lot of work doing to it to bring it up to date? 

If you want to keep John Lewis or if John Lewis want to remain in some capacity in Sheffield, wouldn't it make more sense to have a presence in Sheffield where there is a larger footfall of customers, namely in Measowhall?  They could take over the space vacated by Debenhams. 

Assuming JL don’t reopen I would like to see it demolished too and as soon as possible before it becomes a dirty, tatty eyesore. 
I’ve wondered about JL taking over the Debenhams site at Meadowhall too. 

On 04/04/2021 at 05:54, Baron99 said:

According to a couple of builders I spoke to, the building is of the age where it's likely to be fully loaded with asbestos, so demolishing it could be a very expensive proposition.

Coles Corner wasn't the place the shop is now. It was at the other end of Fargate at the junction with High St.