John Lewis have always made a big deal of the fact they don't have 'employees' they have 'partners'.

I wonder if all the 'partners' had a say in all these closures. 

17 minutes ago, abbeyedges said:

John Lewis have always made a big deal of the fact they don't have 'employees' they have 'partners'.

I wonder if all the 'partners' had a say in all these closures. 

There you go:

https://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk/work/employee-ownership.html

Happy reading.

The demise of JL was inevitable, the impact of Meadowhall over many years, changes to shopping habits and Covid.

But Sheffield wont be the last city to lose more large retailers and planners all over the country will have to re-think town centres.

I think the JL building has some mid century charm and with the right investment could be re-used in many different ways (no more student flats though, please).

I visited Soho House at the old ITV centre in London and a version of that on the top floor would be great, some 5 star hotel/apartment accommodation I am sure would get used and then split the store in half on two floors for other retailers.

I am sure some architects or designers will have better ideas than me, I just hope SCC embrace them and don't waste money on some Manchester or London based consultants..

To me I think it tells it all John Lewis been in talks now with the council wouldn't it been easier to get a smaller store but use the store at present   they have annoyed Aberdeen too  and they have been promised a smaller store with waitrose maybe taking some of there shop 

JL demise in Sheffield was not inevitable. Meadowhall effects on the decision was minimal, it is possible to have a vibrant and prosperous city centre as well as a out of town shopping experience. SCC attempt to woo JL by buying up the lease was too late. 
SCC have dragged their feet with the redevelopment of the city centre. Just look at Leeds and Manchester’s city centres compared to Sheffield’s.

Past SCC commerce leaders and Town planners should hang their heads in shame.

Edited by prince al

4 hours ago, prince al said:

JL demise in Sheffield was not inevitable. Meadowhall effects on the decision was minimal, it is possible to have a vibrant and prosperous city centre as well as a out of town shopping experience. SCC attempt to woo JL by buying up the lease was too late. 
SCC have dragged their feet with the redevelopment of the city centre. Just look at Leeds and Manchester’s city centres compared to Sheffield’s.

Past SCC commerce leaders and Town planners should hang their heads in shame.

I agree but that's Labour for You especially in Sheffield  look at IKEA it took 20 years 

I would agree that all SCC planners are either ignored or an absolute disgrace.  But why should they save a middle-class Debenhams ?

9 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

I would agree that all SCC planners are either ignored or an absolute disgrace.  But why should they save a middle-class Debenhams ?

Because without it Sheffield dies that's why 

On 31/03/2021 at 11:10, ormester said:

I agree but that's Labour for You especially in Sheffield  look at IKEA it took 20 years 

It amazes me that I rarely hear anyone with a good word to say about SCC....yet time after time the labour party is voted back in.

I wouldn't be surprised if people vote to keep the strong leader model in the referendum either. Not helped by the council trying to confuse voters with misleading leaflets.

20 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

Debenhams,  middle class??? Really...

Ideally we need a wide range of shops to cater for everyone.  I would consider myself working-class and would shop in Debenhams and John Lewis, also Primark if I need something.

On 01/04/2021 at 11:19, nightrider said:

yet time after time the labour party is voted back in.

Except for the couple of times that the Lib-Dems got voted in.

Does anyone think they did a better job?

Edited by Planner1

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Except for the couple of times that the Lib-Dems got voted in.

Does anyone think they did a better job?

Well they did a great job of stopping SCC selling off part of Graves Park for development. I'm grateful for that.