49 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Keep the car park, keep the cafe, convert it to a new Central Library, freeing up the existing Library building for a more appropriate redevelopment.

Your thoughts are similar to mine - but instead of a library, use the very useful pick-up area down the side (where I've picked up TV's etc over the years) as part of a click-and-collect facility.  There is plenty of room to attract small start-up ventures inside.  You would have a meeting place (cafe), plenty of browsing of new and different shops for presents etc, while collecting stuff bought on-line, and all this facilitated by the car park.  When first opening and before businesses get involved, hows about art displays on the ground floor?

23 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Your thoughts are similar to mine - but instead of a library, use the very useful pick-up area down the side (where I've picked up TV's etc over the years) as part of a click-and-collect facility.  There is plenty of room to attract small start-up ventures inside.  You would have a meeting place (cafe), plenty of browsing of new and different shops for presents etc, while collecting stuff bought on-line, and all this facilitated by the car park.  When first opening and before businesses get involved, hows about art displays on the ground floor?

I'd like to see it full of small independent and artisan shops, and used as a creative space, maybe offering courses in the arts and crafts arena, upcycling etc, and selling individual handmade items and art. Think of a smaller version of London's Liberties

Leave the library where it is, it's a beautiful building, purpose built as a library, and fits into that area perfectly.  

8 hours ago, Hopman said:

If the building is demolished, that will include the car park, so there'll be fewer parking places.

We will need a extra large car park around that area, as the West street dole office is just up the road. 
On second thoughts, we won’t be able to afford to run a car so the car park won’t be needed.

Problem solved!

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'd like to see it full of small independent and artisan shops, and used as a creative space, maybe offering courses in the arts and crafts arena, upcycling etc, and selling individual handmade items and art. Think of a smaller version of London's Liberties

Leave the library where it is, it's a beautiful building, purpose built as a library, and fits into that area perfectly.  

Ha ha ha!
Maybe a shop selling Unicorn feathers and Angel dust could be created?

12 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'd like to see it full of small independent and artisan shops, and used as a creative space, maybe offering courses in the arts and crafts arena, upcycling etc, and selling individual handmade items and art. 

Certainly works in Manchester and Liverpool.  I've know people from Sheffield travel all the way over the Pennines for their equivalents.

22 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What should have been in the lease???   You will sign this, you will commit and you will not go anywhere in any circumstances within the next 20 years?

I really don't think it's that simple.

Whatever was in the lease it was obviously more attractive financially than the previous lease with the old landlord. At a guess, I would think the new lease also meant it cost less money to close this store than other loss making stores across the country who might still be tied into the long leases of old, which is why we are losing out again.

14 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Or knock it all down and build a park.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tees-56039292

Judging by many of the complaints on here from drivers, I'm surprised a free a car park for them hasn't been mooted. 

Having to pay to park your car in the city centre is apparently the key reason cited on here as to why people don't bother to shop in the city centre anymore. 

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

Whatever was in the lease it was obviously more attractive financially than the previous lease with the old landlord. At a guess, I would think the new lease also meant it cost less money to close this store than other loss making stores across the country who might still be tied into the long leases of old, which is why we are losing out again.

Given JL is now saying the store has been underperforming for years....this looks like a very shrewd move on their part. Get SCC to buy the lease, which gets them out of the old onerous terms and then walk away leaving SCC with the responsibility.

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Judging by many of the complaints on here from drivers, I'm surprised a free a car park for them hasn't been mooted. 

Having to pay to park your car in the city centre is apparently the key reason cited on here as to why people don't bother to shop in the city centre anymore. 

plus a traffic system designed by a demented monkey on acid

Yeah it’s not just car parking that’s the issue is it it’s location of parking, navigating the Roads to get where you want and that’s before you get to the prices charged.All of these work in Meadowhall’s favour.

16 hours ago, Anna B said:

The library is a beautiful building, and fits perfectly into that area. But as a building for a gallery and library its not all suited to either function.

i think it would make a great independent store ,with lots of sheffield retailors,but the problem would be the rent and rates