I have used AO a lot too.

Think they are Bolton based , delivery times are good and the communication is good

Well that’s it then! End of Sheffield’s retail sector.

Much as it is a big blow and very sad there are still positives about Sheffield centre many companies have invested heavily in the area and in fairness they are not as popular as they used to be can’t remember the last time I bought something from them or went in t the store.

3 hours ago, iansheff said:

Can't see any store taking it on, maybe it will be knocked down and yet another hotel built or even more student accommodation. 

Phone Shops?

so how much has it cost SCC? retail stores are sinking faster than the titanic,look at the moor ,loads of retail empty shops,the covid has not helped,i myself went each sat to put on the irish ect and other bets at my local betting shop,theyve lost me in the shop now,i do it all online now,its easier,less health risk,and i can stay in when its rainy or snowing,simple,so i can see only small retail outlets and shopping on line for the future.

36 minutes ago, sedith said:

Phone Shops?

I'm not sure a phone shop could fill such a large building!

Phone shops are moving online too particularly as most phones look the same these days.

It's a great shame, especially as years ago when Meadowhell opened, it was really John Lewis's decision to remain in the city centre (along with W H Smith and M & S ) that saved the centre.  Things have changed a lot since then of course and JL is struggling.  I now live in Lichfield in Staffordshire and both our nearest John Lewis stores have now closed, (Tamworth and Birmingham).  Solihull remains open and is now our nearest JL but it's an awkward journey to get to it.  We had said that if we were really wanting to go to a store it would be easier to come back up to Sheffield but now that options gone as well.  You do wonder how any town/city centre can continue. Sad times.  

it said in the star that SCC wont lose any money,but will be stuck with this huge shop,also tui are closing a huge amount of shops.

3 minutes ago, bassett one said:

it said in the star that SCC wont lose any money,but will be stuck with this huge shop,also tui are closing a huge amount of shops.

The Star is playing with words. The money has already been lost.

4 hours ago, nightrider said:

The lib dems were also pretty useless weren't they? So who would we vote for if we want competent management?

regardless of the relative competence of the various parties and we have a number of alternative threads where we can discuss that. Stores are closing as a result of the pandemic and also the move to internet shopping. 

if you want a last century city centre then you need to go back to last century shopping habits which basically means turning the internet off. 

if you used to shop at john lewis (or anywhere in town really) and now shop on the internet then you are far more responsible for this than the council ever can be, so stop whining and accept that this is one of the consequences of your decisions. 

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

The Star is playing with words. The money has already been lost.

The council is also spinning it as no lost money because they have an asset....not sure the building is much of an asset without the tenant though!