25 minutes ago, nightrider said:

I just hope Scc were clever enough to make sure John Lewis can’t just walk away leaving the council with all the cost liabilities?

I don't see how they can stop them "walking away". The council were the ones who bought the lease back and offered JL a massive discount to try and tempt them into some longevity and commitment. As long as JL complied with any clauses regarding terminating - the rest of any monetary responsibilities, im afraid, falls back on the council. 

JL will care little about any argued 'moral' obligations even more so when their own business is in difficult times.

I, like many people am gutted by this decision and know full well the impact on the city centre by losing such an anchor. Be interesting to see how the developments such as hsbc, cms and the raddison hotel owners will feel about losing such a prominent retailer in the middle of their supposedly new shining developments.

Having said that, I did always have a suspicion at the back of my mind that as soon as the new modern bigger Leeds branch opened, if ever there was a time when it was a choice between one or the other, Sheffield was always going to be the loser.

Amazing to think that little old Atkinsons is the only survivor in this department store bloodbath despite facing competition against some national giants. Good luck to them clinging on.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Sad news about John Lewis closing. I use to meet up with friends in their cafe.  Although I don’t live in Sheffield the Newcastle branch isn’t closing near where I live but I preferred the Sheffield shop.

Atkinsons has done well to remain open.  Is it still a family owned shop and if so is that why it has survived over the years?

30 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I don't see how they can stop them "walking away".

Should have been in any lease to stop SCC getting screwed over. Sounds like SCC were too desperate and gave JL all the cards.

Sheffield... the new Rotherham town centre! Such a shame.

20 minutes ago, nightrider said:

Should have been in any lease to stop SCC getting screwed over. Sounds like SCC were too desperate and gave JL all the cards.

Remember everyone, vote Labour at the next council elections!

14 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Remember everyone, vote Labour at the next council elections!

The lib dems were also pretty useless weren't they? So who would we vote for if we want competent management?

37 minutes ago, nightrider said:

What should have been in the lease???   You will sign this, you will commit and you will not go anywhere in any circumstances within the next 20 years?

I really don't think it's that simple.

2 minutes ago, nightrider said:

The lib dems were also pretty useless weren't they? So who would we vote for if we want competent management?

Well voting for the same bunch who signed the amey contract and bought a shop for £3m with no clauses seems a little foolhardy.

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

What should have been in the lease???   You will sign this, you will commit and you will not go anywhere in any circumstances within the next 20 years?

I really don't think it's that simple.

Maybe not 20 years but surely penalties if they leave before the paint has dryed.

Can't say I'm surprised JL is closing . Haven't bought anything from them for about 8 years . I bought something online but they made such a mess of the order that I had to go into the store twice to sort it out

I use A  O now for all electrical goods , the service is brilliant and prices cheaper than JL

20 minutes ago, lobster said:

Can't say I'm surprised JL is closing . Haven't bought anything from them for about 8 years . I bought something online but they made such a mess of the order that I had to go into the store twice to sort it out

I use A  O now for all electrical goods , the service is brilliant and prices cheaper than JL

What is A O ?

2 minutes ago, St Petre said:

What is A O ?

They are literally called AO (ao.com) online electronic retailer

56 minutes ago, nightrider said:

They did a damn right more that Labour 

Every electrical item I have TV etc is from John Lewis online is good but you can  see them. Working etc