3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

So SCC has ended up spending £3 million securing the 20 year agreement with John Lewis, according to The Star in a FOI request.  Like Prince Al above, I'd say it's money well spent as well. 

https://www.thestar.co.uk/whats-on/things-to-do/council-chief-reveals-how-sheffields-john-lewis-will-be-refurbished-and-which-shops-city-centre-could-have-future-2989106

Especially if the other parts of the project stated in the piece come together?

I'd especially think the city centre could do with a few more independent stores, especially those run by local entrepreneurs. 

I agree but, sadly a lot of these businesses are either going out of business or reluctant to invest in new ventures given the unpredictability of the pandemic and resulting restrictions. 

So it would seem that the Sheffield branch of John Lewis will close permanently and won't reopen on April 12th. Perhaps buying the lease wasn't money so well spent after all, not that anyone would have known that at the time of course.

(Source : thesun.co.uk notification to my phone this morning at 11:35 - https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/14439124/john-lewis-close-eight-shops-jobs-risk/). Also now on the BBC news website as per Colin's link below.

Edited by HallamGirl

The fact that it needed the money spending for a refurb wouldn't have helped either. I wonder what will go in the building now? One of those halls with lots of independent retailers / food places maybe. Hopefully the building isn't stuffed with asbestos.

On 30/08/2020 at 08:40, Bargepole23 said:

Very much so. Money well spent by SCC.

That's come back to bite SCC badly hasn't it. Now the Council own a massive building in need of a refurb that's going to be empty.

34 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Yep. 

yes will need to pivot away from shopping, without a big department store there is very little to attract shoppers.

9 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

That's come back to bite SCC badly hasn't it. Now the Council own a massive building in need of a refurb that's going to be empty.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Hard to see what the alternatives were at the time.

1 minute ago, Bargepole23 said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Hard to see what the alternatives were at the time.

Lots of councils were wanted not do purchase retail premises, many are now in financial trouble because they did. Its happened sooner because of covid - but the warnings were given because everyone could see (except councils!) that shopping was moving more and more online and eventually the bottom would fall out of that market.

53 minutes ago, belperite said:

The fact that it needed the money spending for a refurb wouldn't have helped either. I wonder what will go in the building now? One of those halls with lots of independent retailers / food places maybe. Hopefully the building isn't stuffed with asbestos.

Can't see any store taking it on, maybe it will be knocked down and yet another hotel built or even more student accommodation. 

29 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

they (s.c.c) could convert the building into a cycle drome

for the masses of cyclists they are expecting.

R.I.P Sheffield city centre

6 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Can't see any store taking it on, maybe it will be knocked down and yet another hotel built or even more student accommodation. 

I just hope Scc were clever enough to make sure John Lewis can’t just walk away leaving the council with all the cost liabilities?