Just read Sheffield City council are planning to buy the lease of the land the store stands on. Rent it back to John Lewis on a turnover based rent & contribute to the stores refurbishment.

Good idea! Well done SCC!

12 hours ago, prince al said:

Good idea! Well done SCC!

Agreed, good plan. JL is the anchor store for the City Centre, and SCC are investing gazillions in other projects for HOC 2.

why should SCC pay for the upkeep ect,ect of a multi million pound business,did they pay SCC monies in the years that they made millions?,businesses  transform over the years,some change,some close and that's business,sheffields got no cash and I believe cannot afford to subsidise the company,its not a charity is it.

12 minutes ago, bassett one said:

why should SCC pay for the upkeep ect,ect of a multi million pound business,did they pay SCC monies in the years that they made millions?,businesses  transform over the years,some change,some close and that's business,sheffields got no cash and I believe cannot afford to subsidise the company,its not a charity is it.

I bet they've paid enough in business rates over the years to pay for that refurb 10 times over. SCC know full well that if John Lewis move city centre trade will take another big hit.

Just glad it's reopening I feared the worse bad the CEO of John Lewis said last week some if the stores would never reopen.

The Birmingham store has been announced today as closing.

The store was built in1963  due a refurb .

It's typical if it has closed the council would have been critized for not helping.

No fun running a city, people's expectations are ever higher ,the central government funding has fallen about 30 percent or more and a pandemic .

Still don't believe the council bailing them out. The council this morning announcing it has a £24m shortfall.

All the news sites are saying that it's the new grand central store in Birmingham that's closing, only been open a few years.

Would have thought that would have been a good one, always semed busy when I was there.

So glad that its reopening,  only decent shop in the town centre. If SCC didn't do this then none of the other retail led stuff stacks up. 

Unless I am misreading it, the council own the store,  Cole Brothers are merely tennents.

There was talk of a new much enlarged store  over by Wellington St during the  Sevenstones era, wonder if that is still an option.

Edited by butlers

1 hour ago, chris101 said:

Still don't believe the council bailing them out. The council this morning announcing it has a £24m shortfall.

They are "bailing them out" so to speak because they are absolutely petrified of the might of John Lewis and the catastrophic effects that would happen if they lost them out of the city centre.

They are the prize jewel and realisticly all that they have left to keep their delusions of being a prime retail environment alive.  They are all the council has in the war against meadowhall.  

JL has always had a lot of influence over the council as shown by their sticking two fingers up over the fiasco that was the brand new shiny building in the new retail quarter.  As I have said on another thread earlier, they have well and truly stuck the boot into the council and have them over a barrel. 

...Look after us, let us do what we want or were gone.....   That is my bit of paraphrasing of what  I suspect is really happening during their negotiation meetings and the council know it.  

The council are about to move onto the next phase of their redevelopment which includes making sure they keep attractive to the shiny new hotel and legal companies moving into their shiny new offices.   The last thing that the council can risk right now is the disaster of losing JL and ending up with a massive decaying empty building in the middle of their prestigious and heavily invested development.  

Edited by ECCOnoob