Sign in to follow this  

Boiling Water To Kill Weeds.?

My weeds are growing right up to the side  of my plants, so I don’t want to spray weedkiller on them, as it will kill the plants. Someone suggested boiling water in the kettle and pouring this round the plants onto the weeds. Has anyone done this ? Was it successful ?

Petrol very good paint it on the weeds 2/3 days later They won’t be any Don’t forget and lite a fag up !

9 hours ago, jacklev1 said:

Petrol very good paint it on the weeds 2/3 days later They won’t be any Don’t forget and lite a fag up !

Thank you for your tip.

I pour boiling water on any weeds coming up through paving and pathways and it works well. Using it around plants in a flowerbed would require a steady hand, I think.

Another easy one is to mix washing-up liquid with vinegar and spray 'em.

Works surprisingly quickly...but they will be back in time!

A decent kneeling mat and a good trowel followed up with regular hoeing, stop thinking of it as a chore and take pleasure in creating a nice garden that pleases you.

On 11/07/2020 at 21:48, Thorpist said:

A decent kneeling mat and a good trowel followed up with regular hoeing, stop thinking of it as a chore and take pleasure in creating a nice garden that pleases you.

It’s a chore when you get backache the next day.! Any hand weeding always leaves a small amount of root left in, leaving the weed to grow again a few weeks later.

Regularly poisoning  plants to keep an area  weed free will work , but at what cost financial and environmental?

If getting down to weeds is a problem; regular hoeing will eventually weaken weeds and they will not regrow , however weed seeds will always move in . You could put in ground cover plants which will shade out the weed seeds.

Sedums ,Oregano , creeping phlox  plus many more.

The amount of shade and soil conditions are your starting point  when looking for plants