Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

We know who sanctioned it but not those who dreamt it up and the rationale behind their thinking.

Anyway its all been said and the subject of the thread has been better represented by some rather than others who prefer to discuss the wider benefits of cycling.

So enough.

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

We know who sanctioned it but not those who dreamt it up and the rationale behind their thinking.

Anyway its all been said and the subject of the thread has been better represented by some rather than others who prefer to discuss the wider benefits of cycling.

So enough.

Again, not true.

The rationale for the scheme was stated in one of the cabinet members press releases ie providing a link between the cycle tracks on Penistone Rd and the Grey to Green project. It’s been mentioned on the thread too. 

There’s no need for the identities of the engineers who designed it to be known. They just do the job they are asked to. 

Grey to green project

Ah yes.

Excellent idea .

Transforming redundant sections of the inner ring road to suit pedestrian and cycle routes.

Can’t argue with that.

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/grey_to_green_phase

Is Shalesmoor part of a redundant route? Or about to be a redundant route.

Someone got over zealous 

Edited by RJRB

What makes me want to weep is that because it's central government money it's treated as though it doesn't matter. It's this arrogant stance that  I find so disgraceful. Each and everyone of us is paying for it, end of chat.  If a white elephant/load of nonsense cost £5 it's £5 too much., and it's £5 that can't be spent on something useful.

If only SCC could take this on board Sheffield might ultimately be a much better place.

9 minutes ago, NewBiz said:

What makes me want to weep is that because it's central government money it's treated as though it doesn't matter. It's this arrogant stance that  I find so disgraceful. Each and everyone of us is paying for it, end of chat.  If a white elephant/load of nonsense cost £5 it's £5 too much., and it's £5 that can't be spent on something useful.

If only SCC could take this on board Sheffield might ultimately be a much better place.

The government money has been given for exactly the kind of scheme that has been tried in Sheffield. You can hardly blame SCC for taking money when it's offered. It's given them the opportunity to try something fairly radical that they may not have been able to fund from existing sources.

You may think it a white elephant or a waste of money, but others see it very differently.  

7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The government money has been given for exactly the kind of scheme that has been tried in Sheffield. You can hardly blame SCC for taking money when it's offered. It's given them the opportunity to try something fairly radical that they may not have been able to fund from existing sources.

You may think it a white elephant or a waste of money, but others see it very differently.  

I don't blame SCC for taking the money, obviously, but given almost certainly the'scheme' is going to be removed then it's a waste of money. If SCC are incapable of understanding that as a basic concept then we're on a hiding to nothing. I'm not going to waste any more time or effort trying to get this very basic idea across. All very depressing.

10 hours ago, soopah said:

I used to work in Dinnington for my sins years ago, and on occasion when the weather was nice enough, I'd cycle.

It was about 15 miles each way, and taking into account the traffic, It would take me about the same amount of time as it would to drive.

I'm in no way fit, but doing this did make me fitter and it put me in a better mood at work.  Set me off better for the day.

There's no shortage on hills for that route either, first you pedal up into Handsworth, then drop through woodhouse, then you have to climb all the way up to the A57.

I still needed a car for work, so I would either use the work van or leave my car at the office.

Some people are just not willing to embrace change or be prepared to think of a workaround.

More people should try commuting by car and then they'd realise how bad the current standard of driving is and would be in favour of a segregated roadway.

Absolute hitting of nail on head here!  Thank you!

I used to work with a woman who lied on her application for a parking permit because she didn't see why she shouldn't be able to drive to work and get a parking space - living about a mile from her place of work which is notorious for parking problems!

Cycling to work was the best thing I ever did for myself - parking close to work, exercise twice a day (staving off future health problems), taking less time than it would to drive.  I'll be back to it in September - tried to talk to the managers about using an electric bike for my current job, after the example of the Sloane Practice, but they weren't having any of it.

I once had to commute 15 miles (Hillsborough to Barlborough), taking the most direct route which took me up East Bank Road 🤪 because my car broke down and there wasn't public transport that would get me to work on time.  It was quite a physical job, too.  I made the choice that the keeping the job meant making a decision on transport...

[Bloody luxury!! We had to lick road clean with us tongues!!! 🤣]

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/reallocating-road-space-in-response-to-covid-19-statutory-guidance-for-local-authorities/traffic-management-act-2004-network-management-in-response-to-covid-19

Plenty of options suggested by Mr Shapps here I remain saddened that Sheffield could not come up with a popular and useful scheme.

At least it satisfies one aim in that cyclists are certainly a safe distance apart on Shalesmoor.

9 hours ago, NewBiz said:

Maybe it's all a cunning plan by central government? 

The next time SCC start pleading poverty & run to the Govt for extra cash for something, central Govt might say, think back to tne summer of 2020? 

We gave you X millions but you appear to have wasted it all by playing cycle path hoaky-koaky, putting one in, taking one out while at the same time, managing the impossible by alienating tens of thousands of your citizens by slowing down traffic on a a major arterial road, (including holding up some of the emergency services), where you spent millions previously to improve traffic flow & which was only completed the previous year after many months of disruption. 

Well done SCC & no you can't have any more money!  We've heard murmurings about allotments to be placed on the Parkway?

Edited by Baron99

10 hours ago, Becky B said:

Absolute hitting of nail on head here!  Thank you!

I used to work with a woman who lied on her application for a parking permit because she didn't see why she shouldn't be able to drive to work and get a parking space - living about a mile from her place of work which is notorious for parking problems!

Cycling to work was the best thing I ever did for myself - parking close to work, exercise twice a day (staving off future health problems), taking less time than it would to drive.  I'll be back to it in September - tried to talk to the managers about using an electric bike for my current job, after the example of the Sloane Practice, but they weren't having any of it.

I once had to commute 15 miles (Hillsborough to Barlborough), taking the most direct route which took me up East Bank Road 🤪 because my car broke down and there wasn't public transport that would get me to work on time.  It was quite a physical job, too.  I made the choice that the keeping the job meant making a decision on transport...

[Bloody luxury!! We had to lick road clean with us tongues!!! 🤣]

Good to hear the cycling to work has worked out well for you 👍👍

13 hours ago, NewBiz said:

I don't blame SCC for taking the money, obviously, but given almost certainly the'scheme' is going to be removed then it's a waste of money. If SCC are incapable of understanding that as a basic concept then we're on a hiding to nothing. I'm not going to waste any more time or effort trying to get this very basic idea across. All very depressing.

You’ve failed to understand the basic concept of the Government funding source. To put in temporary measures. That’s the whole idea.