Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

Recommended Posts

An open question to cyclists....

If you are coming into Sheffield City Centre from or via the Hillsborough area and down Penistone Road, which way do you normally go from the Shalesmoor roundabout to get to say the Town Hall or Cathedral ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, darylslinn said:

An open question to cyclists....

If you are coming into Sheffield City Centre from or via the Hillsborough area and down Penistone Road, which way do you normally go from the Shalesmoor roundabout to get to say the Town Hall or Cathedral ?

I go from the roundabout continue along A61, turn right on to Gibraltar Street to West bar, then up Paradise St to Campo Lane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Hillsborough I go either along the Penistone Road cycle track, through Kelham, and across the lights to Bridge Street/across the crossing to  Allen Street and onto Gibraltar to West Bar, or I go along Langsett, over to Meadow Street and across the lights to Scotland Street. I wouldn't use the ring road to get to town. My preferred routes are much quieter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although only two cyclists have replied to my question and from what people have seen around the area, it does appear that the scheme has been ill thought out and badly implemented.

Have the council actually spoken to cyclists asking them what routes they would like making safer or even done a survey of the areas that they think cyclists should use ?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Although only two cyclists have replied to my question and from what people have seen around the area, it does appear that the scheme has been ill thought out and badly implemented.

Have the council actually spoken to cyclists asking them what routes they would like making safer or even done a survey of the areas that they think cyclists should use ?

 

 

In answer to your question, @darylslinn, I'm guessing the answer is a resounding 'NO'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Although only two cyclists have replied to my question and from what people have seen around the area, it does appear that the scheme has been ill thought out and badly implemented.

Have the council actually spoken to cyclists asking them what routes they would like making safer or even done a survey of the areas that they think cyclists should use ?

 

 

How is it "badly implemented?"

 

Regarding surveys and questionnaires, I think you are perhaps forgetting about the context of the government scheme and funding, which is an "emergency" measure, which meant the scheme at Shalesmoor had to be put in within a handfull of weeks of the funding scheme being announced. That didn't give any time for questionnaires or surveys. The Council speak to cycling groups like Cycle Sheffield and understand what their priorities are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove along Shalesmoor yesterday afternoon and noticed a cyclist riding in the lane designated for cars followed by a combine harvester which had to have one set of tracks on the centre reservation to avoid colliding with the red and white barriers. This is just an observation, I'm not looking for an argument one way or the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through this the other day and somehow got onto tram lines (in car) tried to back up with tram hooting at me

then went fprward to try to get out of way.  Quite frightening.  I am a cyclist but think this scheme is ridiculous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

How is it "badly implemented?"

 

Regarding surveys and questionnaires, I think you are perhaps forgetting about the context of the government scheme and funding, which is an "emergency" measure, which meant the scheme at Shalesmoor had to be put in within a handfull of weeks of the funding scheme being announced. That didn't give any time for questionnaires or surveys. The Council speak to cycling groups like Cycle Sheffield and understand what their priorities are. 

An emergency measure in what respect.

What emergency is the scheme addressing.

It was obviously rushed through to get hold of the money on offer regardless of how useful it would be to cyclists(negligible) and how detrimental it would be to the new traffic system towards the Parkway.

As I have said before there is a total myth about the increased use of cycles in that the majority of the increase is from those who wish to increase their exercise.

Many will be car owners themselves and cycling is mainly a leisure pursuit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RJRB said:

An emergency measure in what respect.

What emergency is the scheme addressing.

 

You know very well what situation the scheme is addressing, it’s been discussed on this thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

You know very well what situation the scheme is addressing, it’s been discussed on this thread

I know what the scheme is supposedly addressing,but please explain the emergency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RJRB said:

An emergency measure in what respect.

What emergency is the scheme addressing.

It was obviously rushed through to get hold of the money on offer regardless of how useful it would be to cyclists(negligible) and how detrimental it would be to the new traffic system towards the Parkway.

As I have said before there is a total myth about the increased use of cycles in that the majority of the increase is from those who wish to increase their exercise.

Many will be car owners themselves and cycling is mainly a leisure pursuit.

 

It would not be unreasonable to suggest that lack of significant uptake is related to a lack of significant improvement in safe routes. Any route which is just paint on a road is not a safe route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.