Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

So not interested in the opportunity to reverse the car dominance of the places we live, improve public health, improve air quality?

These schemes in London seem like a decent idea: https://www.gov.uk/government/case-studies/london-mini-hollands

Just looking for a permanent scheme that would be a good first step in that direction so looking at the above decent idea,this could be applied from Moorfoot to Commercial Street.

Bike hire along the way.

The shops and cafes would appreciate the influx of custom.

E scooter hire as well.

Area already not available to motor vehicles.

However you have already poo pooed this idea,.

So where else on London Road,Chesterfield Road,Abbeydale Road and the many other arterial roads would you suggest for such a decent idea?

If you want to tackle public health for the future then start with the basics.

i.e.kids in schools having access to playing fields and organised sports,which have been sadly cut in mylifetime.

Edited by RJRB

It's been a lot busier on that stretch of road this week, which has meant i've spent a little more time there and still noticed the total lack of cycle's using the defined lanes.

33 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

It's been a lot busier on that stretch of road this week, which has meant i've spent a little more time there and still noticed the total lack of cycle's using the defined lanes.

There will never be any sense in creating specific cycle infrastructure until it's use is mandatory where it is provided. 

The phrase containing the words "cake and eat it" spring to mind. 

4 hours ago, Resident said:

There will never be any sense in creating specific cycle infrastructure until it's use is mandatory where it is provided. 

The phrase containing the words "cake and eat it" spring to mind. 

And that is never going to happen is it.

Perhaps for a leisure run like the Tissington Trail but as for commuting cyclists they will always take the most direct routes and make various manoeuvres that are not available to motorists.

The other great myth is that the upswing in cycling is matched by a corresponding decrease in motorists.

Or even that current pedestrians or public transport users would switch to commuter cycling.

Its a pipe dream based on very flawed reasoning.

Awful trying to get down Shalesmoor/Penistone Road end, even off-peak times now.  Surely with the width of the pavements round there, the sensible solution would have been to split the walkway, and put a cycle lane on the path NEXT TO the road?  Obviously it would need barriers for safety and clear pedestrian crossing points.

5 minutes ago, feargal said:

Awful trying to get down Shalesmoor/Penistone Road end, even off-peak times now.  Surely with the width of the pavements round there, the sensible solution would have been to split the walkway, and put a cycle lane on the path NEXT TO the road?  Obviously it would need barriers for safety and clear pedestrian crossing points.

If there was anything to suggest a demand for a  permanent commuter cycle route around Shalesmoor I would agree with you.

I think that has yet to be proven

49 minutes ago, RJRB said:

If there was anything to suggest a demand for a  permanent commuter cycle route around Shalesmoor I would agree with you.

I think that has yet to be proven

There already is one!  I go through Kelham Island when I have to go that way.  They've improved the crossing at the other end to get onto the riverside path or through towards Victoria Quays.

That's why I don't understand why they didn't just block Alma Street to through traffic instead of adding the lane along Shalesmoor...

1 hour ago, Becky B said:

There already is one!  I go through Kelham Island when I have to go that way.  They've improved the crossing at the other end to get onto the riverside path or through towards Victoria Quays.

That's why I don't understand why they didn't just block Alma Street to through traffic instead of adding the lane along Shalesmoor...

Makes a lot more sense if only that it avoids a busy road

On 05/08/2020 at 16:39, Becky B said:

It won't happen because it is a sensible idea i'm afraid.

I noticed that   Councillor Bob Johnson, Cabinet Member for Transport and Sustainability at Sheffield City Council  and his department are up to their tricks again, this time up Broomhill way with the temporary  ?!? removal of parking spots outside some busy shops. The complaint being that the smaller shops are already struggling and now they have taken away parking in front of them / nearby.

What is wrong with this council ?

38 minutes ago, darylslinn said:

It won't happen because it is a sensible idea i'm afraid.

I noticed that   Councillor Bob Johnson, Cabinet Member for Transport and Sustainability at Sheffield City Council  and his department are up to their tricks again, this time up Broomhill way with the temporary  ?!? removal of parking spots outside some busy shops. The complaint being that the smaller shops are already struggling and now they have taken away parking in front of them / nearby.

What is wrong with this council ?

Supposedly to enable social distancing for pedestrians!!! and apologies to motorists for any inconvenience!!!

Short stay parking is essential for roadside shops but the council has a grander plan.