Jump to content
The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

Recommended Posts

I've been on there this morning as I had to go to Hillsborough. I can't imagine how bad it is a rush hour.

 

Guess how many cyclists I saw using the cycle lane from Shalesmoor to Penistone Road? None. 

 

However there were a lot of cars travelling in both directions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

?????!!!

Others would see that as what it is.

I suspect that no one would be able to see anything!! :)

3 minutes ago, Sheffield Monks said:

I've been on there this morning as I had to go to Hillsborough. I can't imagine how bad it is a rush hour.

 

Guess how many cyclists I saw using the cycle lane from Shalesmoor to Penistone Road? None. 

 

However there were a lot of cars travelling in both directions. 

What??  Not even onewheel???  Surely not!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Resident said:

Also makes other road closures around the city questionable too, such as Pinstone St. Bus companies were only told 7 days before it happened. As I read above that should have been 21 days, Am I correct?

That is how I read it too, Resident - but as it appears it didn't happen, maybe we're all hallucinating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much as I would love to see cycling in Sheffield as popular as it is in Amsterdam its just not going to happen.Even though with modern bikes hills are nowhere as hard as people think the majority of people see a hill and think no way am I cycling up that every day!

 

Also although not exactly California there climate is not as harsh  as ours when I have been there anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darylslinn said:

I sometimes think that comments such as 'Modern Transport Planners Tool Kits' are condescending in so much as they know what they are doing is right and we mere users know nothing and are wrong.

Not only does the cycle lane not seem to work properly for either cycle users (no using it) or  motor vehicle users but it looks an absolute mess, visually.... I wouldn't want to invest to either live or conduct a business in that area now.

 

How is it condescending to know what tools are available to you in your profession?

 

How those tools are deployed are decisions for politicians and there is of course stakeholder engagement to inform decisions. 
 

The politicians have to take decisions for the greater good. Because no matter what they decide, someone is going to be unhappy, the decision makers are accountable at the ballot box.
 

What exactly do you expect a temporary installation to look like? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Resident said:

Also makes other road closures around the city questionable too, such as Pinstone St. Bus companies were only told 7 days before it happened. As I read above that should have been 21 days, Am I correct?

This is a more useful part of the government announcement about making it easier for councils to introduce these temporary measures. It means the council can advertise the Emergency Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO) digitally 7 days in advance of the measures going in and then publish the order again 14 days later either in the local newspaper or digitally:

 

The amendments speed up making emergency Traffic Orders that may be needed to, for example, widen pavements or install cycle lanes. The main change is to the means of advertising the order, which can be via digital means. A second order still needs to be published for information 14 days later in a newspaper, where these are available, or via digital media.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

This is a more useful part of the government announcement about making it easier for councils to introduce these temporary measures. It means the council can advertise the Emergency Traffic Regulation Order (ETRO) digitally 7 days in advance of the measures going in and then publish the order again 14 days later either in the local newspaper or digitally:

 

The amendments speed up making emergency Traffic Orders that may be needed to, for example, widen pavements or install cycle lanes. The main change is to the means of advertising the order, which can be via digital means. A second order still needs to be published for information 14 days later in a newspaper, where these are available, or via digital media.

 

 

And they have of course - don't suppose you would like to link to the 'digital' versions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

And they have of course - don't suppose you would like to link to the 'digital' versions?

The Pinstone Street scheme was certainly publicised in advance (two weeks I think - I started a thread when I saw it) . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Martin C said:

The Pinstone Street scheme was certainly publicised in advance (two weeks I think - I started a thread when I saw it) . 

It was - I've just checked back, but that link was the council 'spin', which also mentioned the Shalesmoor scheme, in a press release on a page/site that I'm guessing not that many people know about - I didn't until I stumbled upon it earlier in the year, looing for something else.

 

However, I am asking for the links to the legal instruments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Google is your friend. You should try it. See: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/roads-pavements/covid-19-traffic-orders

Actually, the council site should be my friend, but is becoming increasingly obvious it is designed to confuse. However, thanks for the information'

 

And, just FYI, I know I could have gone that route - I think I've been online longer than Google itself, and I know well how to use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Actually, the council site should be my friend, but is becoming increasingly obvious it is designed to confuse.

Never been great has it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.