Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

26 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

In my life I have taken and passed 4 tests for different categories of road vehicles and passed them all first time. That is not something many can say, yet, I am still happy to take another, I want the roads to be safe for all and that would go a long way towards it and would also sort out some who really should not be on the roads but had a lucky day on their test day.

I too have passed several tests - 5 in total, counting IAM car & bike.  None of these matter one jot to the people targetting cyclists as an object of hate, whether they're good or poor, competent or inexperienced.
I don't think I'm a good cyclist yet, it's twenty-odd years since I last cycled. I'm inexperienced but consider myself safe and considerate.  If I feel unsafe or uncertain, I stop (safely) and assess how to proceed.  As I gain more experience, I find that I'm having to stop less often, as I don't come across new and uncertain situations so frequently.  But despite doing this to help my health and fitness, and to reduce the number of cars commuting, rather than being encouraged I sense a growing animosity towards all cyclists, and for this reason I shall be returning to car commuting.

Guest busdriver1
Just now, Planner1 said:

The point is that if something is really important to you, perhaps you adjust your spending priorities and actions accordingly.

You don't necessarily have to buy a new car, you can lease one or use public transport.

So I can lease a zero emissions car or use public transport? 

Show me where I can get public transport at 3 in the morning. 

Show me where I can lease a car for the equivalent of my current outgoings on transport.

Surprisingly i am not on a council salary so cant afford to do so. I live quite happily within my means but such luxurys are well beyond them for me and many many others.

7 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Hold on, I will just shake the money tree then rush out and buy a zero emissions car, or should I cycle the 35 mile trip to work every day? 

The point that is being made and made clearly is that this scheme is causing unnecessary pollution and is not aiding cyclists.

The damage to local businesses is just another level of damage but hey, thats ok because 1 person used this cycle lane today hurray.

Is it causing damage to local businesses though?

Its annoying a lot of drivers, and some of them will be delivery drivers but not sure it’s really damaging businesses.

Guest busdriver1
12 minutes ago, Crissie said:

I too have passed several tests - 5 in total, counting IAM car & bike.  None of these matter one jot to the people targetting cyclists as an object of hate, whether they're good or poor, competent or inexperienced.
I don't think I'm a good cyclist yet, it's twenty-odd years since I last cycled. I'm inexperienced but consider myself safe and considerate.  If I feel unsafe or uncertain, I stop (safely) and assess how to proceed.  As I gain more experience, I find that I'm having to stop less often, as I don't come across new and uncertain situations so frequently.  But despite doing this to help my health and fitness, and to reduce the number of cars commuting, rather than being encouraged I sense a growing animosity towards all cyclists, and for this reason I shall be returning to car commuting.

So you have passed 3 then IAM are not proper tests and some would say are a hindrance to other road users. If you read my post correctly you will see that I am happy to take further tests and it sounds like you should do so as well.

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Its annoying a lot of drivers, and some of them will be delivery drivers but not sure it’s really damaging businesses.

I can obviously not state categorically that that is the case but if you ran a business in that area would you welcome this on your doorstep? 

If it is delaying delivery drivers then those deliveries are being delayed. That is a form of harm to businesses isnt it?

If the staff in those vehicles are being delayed there is a Knock on to the business employing them, that is a harm to that business isnt it?

Edited by busdriver1

50 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

I would like to see compulsory re-testing of all motorists every 5 years.

Apart from what I've written that's the most sensible thing I've seen on this thread.

4 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

So you have passed 3 then IAM are not proper tests and some would say are a hindrance to other road users. If you read my post correctly you will see that I am happy to take further tests and it sounds like you should do so as well.

I can obviously not state categorically that that is the case but if you ran a business in that area would you welcome this on your doorstep? 

If it is delaying delivery drivers then those deliveries are being delayed. That is a form of harm to businesses isnt it?

If the staff in those vehicles are being delayed there is a nock on to the business employing them, that is a harm to that business isnt it?

Yeah but let’s face it, you don’t have to go far in Sheffield to find yourself in standing traffic. This is just another bit of standing traffic. Delivery drivers will find rat runs.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

There is little wonder that the general public have difficulty negotiating their way through red tape.

In a time of bubbles,the civil service are in one of their own where they are trying to follow the dictats of their political masters.

This emergency funding was a misguided policy supposedly to capitalise on the great opportunities created during the lockdown.

A totally political gesture and a pie in the sky idea.

And we have seen the result in this misguided project

7 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

So I can lease a zero emissions car or use public transport? 

Show me where I can get public transport at 3 in the morning. 

Show me where I can lease a car for the equivalent of my current outgoings on transport.

Surprisingly i am not on a council salary so cant afford to do so. I live quite happily within my means but such luxurys are well beyond them for me and many many others.

You can get a cab at 3am, that's public transport.

Like I said, if it was really important to you, you'd adjust your spending priorities accordingly. It's clearly not that important to you (or most other motorists in my opinion).

Guest busdriver1
Just now, tinfoilhat said:

Yeah but let’s face it, you don’t have to go far in Sheffield to find yourself in standing traffic. This is just another bit of standing traffic. Delivery drivers will find rat runs.

True on both counts but that is half of the problem, more and more rat runs on non suitable roads leads to more issues in those areas.

Just now, Planner1 said:

Like I said, if it was really important to you, you'd adjust your spending priorities accordingly. It's clearly not that important to you (or most other motorists in my opinion).

So you swap one road vehicle for another and pay a premium.

Your arguments get stranger by the day

3 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Hold on, I will just shake the money tree then rush out and buy a zero emissions car, or should I cycle the 35 mile trip to work every day? 

The point that is being made and made clearly is that this scheme is causing unnecessary pollution and is not aiding cyclists.

The damage to local businesses is just another level of damage but hey, thats ok because 1 person used this cycle lane today hurray.

No such thing as a zero emission battery electric car. A truer term is displaced emissions.

If everyone were to suddenly go electric overnight, taking away the fact that the current grid would collapse, all of the UK's current power stations would need to output 3 times their current maximum. Since 40% of the UK's energy is derived from renewable sources and in all likelihood would not be able to produce such levels sustainably with current technologies we would have to fall back on the methods used to generate the other 60%, fossil fuels.

Battery powered cars are NOT the future, we have seen the future and one manufacturer had a viable, production ready vehicle as far back as 2006. The fuel was clean with zero harmful emissions , the vehicle could be refuelled in less than 5 mins and operated as a normal car. It was an ICE car with a clean fuel. 

The issue was fuel production it took more to produce than the energy gained. The company asked the world to help develop the fuel tech and all efforts mysteriously were mothballed and the vehicles put in storage. 

Presumably the oil industry had a hand in that. 

Guest busdriver1
Just now, Planner1 said:

So Instead of using my car at 3 in the morning I use a cab? 

Apart from putting money into a cab companies coffers what would that gain me? Given that if I was to do so the cab would then make a return trip doubling the amount of emmisions for my journey?

Classic council thinking.