Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Keeping a sense of proportion I see.

 

From the reports I've seen, it was a queue on one stretch of road. Did it affect the rest of the city centre? Hardly a "disaster", more like a mild inconvenience for some drivers. 

The queue mid afternoon down Netherthorpe? That was all the way up to the roundabout. That’s a very busy road and it goes to one lane now at the bottom for people heading to hillsborough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, forgeman said:

Would it not have been a better idea to use part of the pathway to create a cycle lane rather than one whole lane of the road. That way everyone would be happy(ish).

That's pretty much what was in place on Penistone Rd already and it doesn't appear to meet the aspirations of anyone particularity well. If you are catering for mass cycling, what is needed is a wide cycle lane which is separate from the footway and physically separated from motorised traffic.

 

37 minutes ago, Blue Day said:

The queue mid afternoon down Netherthorpe? That was all the way up to the roundabout. That’s a very busy road and it goes to one lane now at the bottom for people heading to hillsborough 

Did it gridlock the city?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

That's pretty much what was in place on Penistone Rd already and it doesn't appear to meet the aspirations of anyone particularity well. If you are catering for mass cycling, what is needed is a wide cycle lane which is separate from the footway and physically separated from motorised traffic.

 

Did it gridlock the city?

I’ve no idea, I never said it did. Is that how we judge traffic queuing? If it doesn’t gridlock the city then it’s ok?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Blue Day said:

I’ve no idea, I never said it did. Is that how we judge traffic queuing? If it doesn’t gridlock the city then it’s ok?

According to some, @Blue Day -yes.

 

Even though it probably caused chaos in the surrounding area.

Edited by RollingJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Funny that because in nearly 40 years of living in this city and dealing with the council in various different guises personally and professionally I have never once seen a contractor, support worker, social worker, or official officer arrive at my home or office on a bike.

 

I would suggest that such instruction clearly needs to be pushed a bit more.  In fact being as a civil service usually record everything I'll be very interested to see if there are stats available as to how many employees regularly claim bicycle mileage back for their official travel.  

 

No they are not "suggesting" that every journey should by bicycle.  They wouldn't have the balls to come out with that.  They are instead going for the the cowardly passive aggressive approach by simply making increasingly difficult, and let's face it offputting, for drivers to get in and out of the city.   

 

The frustrating thing is I used to support the council quite a lot on this forum.  When there was lots of stock whining about lack of car parking or lots of lazy comparisons between us and leeds I would regularly contribute to defend..... now the more I go in and out and the more of these schemes get implemented the less I can defend.

 

The anti car agenda has well and truly taken hold and now covid is being used as the excuse for even more changes. 

Sheffield is a major pollution hot spot in the UK:

 

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/news/leeds-news/only-sheffield-worse-leeds-whole-16196277

 

From that point of view less car use would be a good thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a joke by the way - spent 18 months watching a no doubt very expensive road alteration take place and regularly queuing through it.

 

only to find now it’s complete they’ve removed an entire lane blocked off with red and whites and queuing again.

 

stupid and disproportionate response. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blue Day said:

Agreed. It would. 
 

However cars stuck in queues will add to the pollution, no? 

Drivers stuck in a queue have the opportunity to think whether they could have walked or cycled quicker.

 

According to this article: https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/sheffield-city-region-announces-plans-for-1000km-of-walking-and-cycling-routes/ 40% of car commuting trips are 1km or less and 64% are under 5km. If a goodly proportion of those drivers chose to walk or cycle, there would be fewer problems for everyone.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

Drivers stuck in a queue have the opportunity to think whether they could have walked or cycled quicker.

 

According to this article: https://sheffieldcityregion.org.uk/sheffield-city-region-announces-plans-for-1000km-of-walking-and-cycling-routes/ 40% of car commuting trips are 1km or less and 64% are under 5km. If a goodly proportion of those drivers chose to walk or cycle, there would be fewer problems for everyone.

 

 

Ok. I get ya. 
 

Keep ploughing on with the same message. It’s good to have another side to the argument even tho it seems not many agree. 
 

Walk or cycle eh? In Britain. For up to 3 miles each way. 
 

Hmmmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Ah, that old chestnut. The emergency services have sirens and flashing lights, drivers get out of their way and they manage to get around just fine even at peak traffic times. Emergency services are consulted on changes to the highway network and their views are taken seriously.

That old chestnut you say..

 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=787930928278347

 

Edited by BobOfRoth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Blue Day said:

I’ve no idea, I never said it did.

Post #33 did. 
 

If traffic is just queuing on one section of road and it doesn’t affect the wider highway network, I wouldn’t describe it as a major problem.

 

When any major change is introduced, it tends to be a bit chaotic on the first day or two, then drivers reroute if there’s a quicker way and the problems often lessen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Post #33 did. 
 

If traffic is just queuing on one section of road and it doesn’t affect the wider highway network, I wouldn’t describe it as a major problem.

 

When any major change is introduced, it tends to be a bit chaotic on the first day or two, then drivers reroute if there’s a quicker way and the problems often lessen. 

Only to create problems where there were none before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.