Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

Just now, RJRB said:

See the data and then apply the conclusion rationally.

This scheme compares with the data that most shark attacks occur in shallow water.

Conclusion,make swimmers go to deeper water.

But, as we all know, there are lies, damned lies and statistics - not directed at you @RJRB, but those who try to convince us we can trust such data. And before anyone says 'it's government data, it must be correct (1) check out the false information we have been given by them in the past and (2) I know how 'statistics' can be 'adjusted' - I used to produce them when I was working, and if the actual data didn't satisfy my manager, I'd be told to 'look again' and adjust them to suit him.

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

But, as we all know, there are lies, damned lies and statistics - not directed at you @RJRB, but those who try to convince us we can trust such data. And before anyone says 'it's government data, it must be correct (1) check out the false information we have been given by them in the past and (2) I know how 'statistics' can be 'adjusted' - I used to produce them when I was working, and if the actual data didn't satisfy my manager, I'd be told to 'look again' and adjust them to suit him.

Completely agree with that. Statistics can be made to prove anything at all by taking the "correct" figures. They will no doubt even prove the tram train to be a success. THAT is how they can be "selectively" used.

Edited by busdriver1

Lies, dammed lies & statistics!!

1 hour ago, busdriver1 said:

Completely agree with that. Statistics can be made to prove anything at all by taking the "correct" figures. They will no doubt even prove the tram train to be a success. THAT is how they can be "selectively" used.

A bit of a side step but if people want to know how statistics can & are manipulated to produce the results that people want to present read "A Field Guide to Lies and Statistics" by Daniel Levitin. 

5 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

A bit of a side step but if people want to know how statistics can & are manipulated to produce the results that people want to present read "A Field Guide to Lies and Statistics" by Daniel Levitin. 

Added to my 'books to browse ' list - I might find a copy on my 'trawling' trips.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

One of my previous roles was to design and create questionnaires for research studies and projects.  My first question was what result do you want or what are you wanting to prove?  Armed with that information i would design the questionnaire accordingly

1 minute ago, alchemist said:

One of my previous roles was to design and create questionnaires for research studies and projects.  My first question was what result do you want or what are you wanting to prove?  Armed with that information i would design the questionnaire accordingly

Exactly, @alchemist - in other words, fiddle the figures.😀

I maybe wrong but wasn't Planner1 quoting statistics  from a nine year old census?

A comedian once said about statistics that "30% of accidents are caused by drunk drivers

which means that 70% of accidents are caused by drivers who are sober. So those statistics 

prove that it is safer to drive whist drunk than sober.

An example of how figures and statistics can be twisted to mean anything.

@cytine - exactly. And a point which has been made before, but some people need telling more often than others.:thumbsup::wink:

Edited by RollingJ
Grammar

Just had the unfortunate experience of this ludicrous setup, all the way into town along it and back again only one cyclist was spotted and unbelievably he was riding on the footpath!  All those bollards must have confused him.

Never got car camera on when needed.

The "not in touch with reality peeps" in charge of Sheffields roads need to realise many of us travel along Penistone road to get to the parkway and onward's, not to just go into the city centre.

Like many I avoid Sheffield at all costs and wouldn't dream of taking a car there.

3 hours ago, alchemist said:

This is similar to something told to me years ago by a friend who had a job in a PR consultancy that had a number of clients in the public sector, including local authorities, who would often need to consult the public. 

He told me if you're going to organise a public meeting that could be hostile for your client, try & organise it to start around 19:30 so that it runs when Coronation St & Eastenders are on & preferably during the late autumn or winter months, when we've the dark nighs & lousy weather. 

Your client can then claim there is little opposition as evidenced by a poor turnout, to what they are proposing. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, Arthur Ritus said:

Just had the unfortunate experience of this ludicrous setup, all the way into town along it and back again only one cyclist was spotted and unbelievably he was riding on the footpath!  All those bollards must have confused him.

Never got car camera on when needed.

The "not in touch with reality peeps" in charge of Sheffields roads need to realise many of us travel along Penistone road to get to the parkway and onward's, not to just go into the city centre.

Like many I avoid Sheffield at all costs and wouldn't dream of taking a car there.

Why would you need a car camera? Would the footage have been even remotely interesting?