Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

11 minutes ago, RJRB said:

[email protected]

e mail with your concerns

I can't think of a bigger waste of time. Just vote them out instead.

12 minutes ago, covfeffe said:

Good luck with that as well

Over 300 comments on Sheffield online facebook page, overwhelming majority in awe at SCC stupidity:

A few quotes without swear words in them!:

'I'm a cyclist who regularly cycles through here, and I also regularly drive through here too. I can say that there was no need for this huge cycle lane to be put here, all it will do (and is doing right now) is cause mayhem as the ring road is already busy, all the council has done is probably increased pollution in the city centre due to increased standing traffic. The pavements are large enough for use of cyclists and pedestrians, speaking from experience, and the single small bike lane that was there was more than enough! Again, speaking from experience. There should be a petition to get rid of this straight away.
Edit: This better not be the case for all the ring road/penistone road too. Absolute mayhem will unravel'

'Customers coming in complaining how long it’s taking to get to us on Penistone road over an hour from the parkway to hillsborough !!!! Somebody needs sacking for this stupid idea' 

'Sheffield council madness again remove a lane on a main route out of Sheffield causing traffic jams which will cause the traffic pollution they’re trying to get rid of'

'As a cyclist I’m embarrassed as what you’ve done to Shalesmoor, and feel in more danger as you exit the cycle lane at the end of Shalesmoor with the potential of being knocked off as drivers cut across the red cycle lane to turn up the duel carriageway. We had plenty of space before you introduced this. And I’ll be find a different route home now. Well done SCC'

'Oh the same council that spent 4.5million on improving Woodseats only to go and admit after that they messed up big time and it would cost another 1.5million to rectify it so instead they left it as it is',

Went down there an hour ago traffic was horrendous. It's going to be a nightmare when everything gets back to normal!!! What a stupid idea to reduce it to one lane and now cars have to drive over it to go left on roundabout it's going to cause some right accidents!!

The fact that someone would choose to reduce 1 of the busiest roads in Sheffield from 2 lanes to 1 really says it all, that’s gonna be a nightmare bottleneck, well played

17 minutes ago, covfeffe said:

Who are you going to replace them with? All the mainstream parties support this kind of measure.

10 hours ago, simonr said:

This bodge job of a cycle lane will hardly be used, it will get full of stones, glass ect like the rest, who wants a puncture on the way to work. If you want to promote cycling on this stretch why not scrap the existing small cycle lane and reduce the speed limit to 20mph which would make road cycling safer and keep traffic flowing.

SR

It will get used- I've used it already, it's a very nice cycle lane- far better than those inadequate one's painted at the edge of the road. I don't want to share a lane with cars even if they're on a 20 mph limit.

As for getting full of glass, stones 'like the rest', that won't happen- the 'rest' get full f the stuff because they're narrow and squeezed into the side of the road.

The council and the university between them have probably got little fantasies about making Shalesmoor, Kelham and the zone around the university itself some sort of "autonomous zone". 😆

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I see all this talk about the "increases" in people cycling and walking but where are they.....  why arent these new cycle lanes filled with people joyfully using them.  

The majority of cycle lanes in Sheffield are not fit for purpose- just strips of paint squeezed into the edge of the road with many drivers expecting cyclists to put their lives at risk by being in them as motorists pass way too close for safety- that's why there aren't as many cyclists as there could be.

I did a hell of a lot of cycling during the lockdown, and now the cars are back in force I'm doing a lot less- it's just not safe with the grossly excessive numbers of motor vehicles.

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Well then they need to come up with something feasible then.

Cycling and walking isn't it for the vast majority of residents in this city.  

It will be as car use becomes increasingly impractical.

6 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

Cycling is only viable to people in good health, with showers available at their place of work, who have to carry very few items and work from one fixed location, it wouldn't be an option for a single person in my place of work.

The prices might be reasonable but its unreliable.

Employers will have to install more showers to cater for workers arriving on bikes- it's a catch 22, if the facilities aren't there people will stick to cars, if the facilities are there [and proper cycle routes] then people will bike to work.

6 hours ago, nightrider said:

Showers are shut at workplaces due to covid currently.

That's stupid, get them opened then people can use them.

21 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

As for getting full of glass, stones 'like the rest', that won't happen- the 'rest' get full f the stuff because they're narrow and squeezed into the side of the road.

Give it a week if it lasts that long and it will be.

SR

36 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

The majority of cycle lanes in Sheffield are not fit for purpose- just strips of paint squeezed into the edge of the road with many drivers expecting cyclists to put their lives at risk by being in them as motorists pass way too close for safety- that's why there aren't as many cyclists as there could be.

I did a hell of a lot of cycling during the lockdown, and now the cars are back in force I'm doing a lot less- it's just not safe with the grossly excessive numbers of motor vehicles.

Employers will have to install more showers to cater for workers arriving on bikes- it's a catch 22, if the facilities aren't there people will stick to cars, if the facilities are there [and proper cycle routes] then people will bike to work.

Most of Sheffield is just too hilly to make cycling viable for the vast majority of people. Imagine if you lived in Chapletown and worked in town. Jesus Christ I wouldn't fancy cycling up that mountainous climb from Chapletown up to Grenoside.

Guest makapaka

It is ludicrous to spend probably millions on what must have been a thought out traffic management plan to ease traffic and access in that area - to then stick red and whites across a full lane of it. 

madness.

wheres the study that shows it to be effective given that a couple of months ago it wasn’t needed?

i don’t have an issue with cyclists - I get where it can be encouraged we should try to - slapdash decisions to close lanes of traffic off on the ring road are not the answer.

im genuinely amazed at the idiocy of it. 

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

I work in construction, we do a lot of work in premises in Sheffield, there are very few that could house adequate shower facilities its totally not feasible, you need changing areas as well if the numbers are sufficient, people have been encouraged for years to travel longer distances to work, the days are long gone where people worked close to home, if this ludicrous idea is not scrapped once traffic levels return to some normality i'll be amazed, a total waste of time and money.