Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

On 24/09/2021 at 14:58, RJRB said:

Could it be the volume of cars,vans,HGVs going about their daily work as opposed to the number of cyclists.

I think that may be a factor

Maybe the volume of cars, vans is so high because the infrastructure for bikes/cargo bikes is so ****e? It's tried and tested in places all over the world; give people decent, safe, convenient alternatives and they will start to leave their cars at home.

People in urban areas will generally make transport decisions based on factors like ease, cost, speed etc. It's a politic decision as to what you as a local council etc. give them. The sticking point is that urban areas rarely have the space or money to allow 100% of people to travel by private car.

I take it by the wording of your sentence that you don't believe any one on a bike could possibly be going to work?

On 24/09/2021 at 14:17, alchemist said:

Because there is more of them?  Its a thing in life that the balance is towards the majority

What if they've only built up to being the majority because decisions on transport infrastructure investment over the last 7 decades have favoured that mode of transport above all others?

We've built for a motoring future for some 7 decades but we're starting to realise that you eventually reach a dead-end. There's only so much space in our cities - eventually everyone driving around in metal box not much smaller than a terraced house living room starts to become a tad unsustainable.

A lot of that 'majority' aren't as tied to cars as many die-hard motorists would have you believe. Provide good public transport and active travel alternatives, and you soon see a lot people leave their cars at home.

On 24/09/2021 at 14:24, ECCOnoob said:

Without any such stupid installation of the temporary cycle lane both vehicle drivers and cyclists can still freely travel on it, use it and they could both still have equal access the various side roads.

Yes, HGVs and cyclists, together in perfect harmony!

2 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Maybe the volume of cars, vans is so high because the infrastructure for bikes/cargo bikes is so ****e? It's tried and tested in places all over the world; give people decent, safe, convenient alternatives and they will start to leave their cars at home.

I take it by the wording of your sentence that you don't believe any one on a bike could possibly be going to work?

And maybe that is not so true in this day and age.

Places of work are more scattered than ever before so it’s very difficult to define what is a commuter route.

Even though I worked for years in the east end of Sheffield not a single person of our 100 plus workforce came to work on a bike.

Cars and other vehicles can be restricted to certain routes which is certainly not the case with bikes .

I am sure that there must be some cyclists going to work.I am also absolutely certain that the majority of cyclists in our area do so for exercise and head for the byways of South Yorks. and Derbyshire for their evening and weekend pleasure.

I am certainly not against cyclists but I know that all my cycling friends are also motorists

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

And maybe that is not so true in this day and age.

Places of work are more scattered than ever before so it’s very difficult to define what is a commuter route.

7 decades of focusing infrastructure development on motorists is a big part of what's made that possible. 7 decades of trying to redress that imbalance, together with things like the relatively recent adoption of using IT to enable home working, will mean that less people will feel the need to commute by car.

33 minutes ago, altus said:

7 decades of focusing infrastructure development on motorists is a big part of what's made that possible. 7 decades of trying to redress that imbalance, together with things like the relatively recent adoption of using IT to enable home working, will mean that less people will feel the need to commute by car.

I'm seeing the opposite. Now people are returning to the office for only a few days a week, it's cheaper to come into work by car than it was before (parking costs are less) and they want to feel they are getting use out of the car instead of leaving it on the drive all week.

4 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

I'm seeing the opposite. Now people are returning to the office for only a few days a week, it's cheaper to come into work by car than it was before (parking costs are less) and they want to feel they are getting use out of the car instead of leaving it on the drive all week.

People going in to work 2 days a week instead of 5 is still a 60% drop in their car use for commuting. Even if works out a bit less overall because they don't do things like go to the supermarket on the way home, it's still a big reduction.

I wish i was fortunate to only have to commute 2 days out of 5, however the factory where I and over 400 other people can't really take the machinery home with them.
My 14 mile journey to work for 7am in the morning is not one that I could possibly cycle and neither would the mostly uphill journey back home.
A lot of factories still operate along the A61 corridor so now businesses are back then I can't see how a cycling plan would help... especially the logistics of moving manufactured goods in and out of the city.

1 hour ago, darylslinn said:

I wish i was fortunate to only have to commute 2 days out of 5, however the factory where I and over 400 other people can't really take the machinery home with them.
My 14 mile journey to work for 7am in the morning is not one that I could possibly cycle and neither would the mostly uphill journey back home.
A lot of factories still operate along the A61 corridor so now businesses are back then I can't see how a cycling plan would help... especially the logistics of moving manufactured goods in and out of the city.

Perhaps cycling and public transport improvements along the A61 aren't as much about getting you out of your car as they are about getting less necessary car use out of the way, so those who do need the roads (people working unsocial hours, travelling long distance, people with mobility issues, lorries with heavy loads etc) have less congestion to deal with? 

Perhaps it's not for you, personally, but you shouldn't belittle infrastructure which will help those who can make the shift to active travel & public transport - every person off the road who doesn't really need to use their car is leaving more space for those who really do.

6 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Perhaps cycling and public transport improvements along the A61 aren't as much about getting you out of your car as they are about getting less necessary car use out of the way, so those who do need the roads (people working unsocial hours, travelling long distance, people with mobility issues, lorries with heavy loads etc) have less congestion to deal with? 

Perhaps it's not for you, personally, but you shouldn't belittle infrastructure which will help those who can make the shift to active travel & public transport - every person off the road who doesn't really need to use their car is leaving more space for those who really do.

If the council want to remove 'less necessary car use', maybe they should not belittle the citys road users by reducing a main ring road's capacity by 50%, a road they had recently spent millions of pounds on, with little notice and no consultation?

A decision they then performed the mother of all u turns on after they had created weeks of chaos in the area.

10 hours ago, BoroB said:

If the council want to remove 'less necessary car use', maybe they should not belittle the citys road users by reducing a main ring road's capacity by 50%, a road they had recently spent millions of pounds on, with little notice and no consultation?

A decision they then performed the mother of all u turns on after they had created weeks of chaos in the area.

Did you feel belittled by a reduction in road capacity? Its just a road.

12 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Who is suggesting the use of bicycles for bulk transport of goods over long distances and/or in and out of cities? Nobody. Nor is anybody suggesting that everyone can work at home full time or part time.

Some, not all, could reduce the impact of their commute. They are the people we should be encouraging to do so by better infrastructure and where required, improvements to public transport.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Did you feel belittled by a reduction in road capacity? Its just a road.

And that seems to be the attitude that the 'planners' took when implementing the scheme.

Road users?

They're just people using a road we've just spent millions on improving, so that the infrastructure in a congested area works better, so lets spend ten of thousands of pounds to  cut capacity without telling them or asking for their input.

And then they wonder why Shalesmoor is bumper to bumper for several hours a day more than it was before.

Councils don't admit when they got it wrong and definitely don't like u turns.

With this scheme the workmen who carried out the work to implement it barely had time to unload their wagons before they were back out reversing the work.

Yeah it's just a road, but one that runs a lot better than it did when the changes were put in place.