Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

57 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

And it is certainly not unusual for cyclists to ride perfectly legitemately and with good awareness, and be passed way too close by the variety of cars/vans/articulated lorries on that stretch of road [I know this from personal experience]. The only time that road has been safe for cyclists is when there was [covid times] a cycle lane that was blocked off so that it was physically impossible for motorists to go near the cyclists.

Had that remained in place, the cyclist in this incident would have remained unharmed regardless of any of the circumstances that took place- the accident would not have happened.

Regrettably it is impossible to legislate for every conceivable possibility and it emails someone’s pipe dream to provide dedicated cyclist commuter routes at the cost of blocking motorised traffic.

1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

And it is certainly not unusual for cyclists to ride perfectly legitemately and with good awareness, and be passed way too close by the variety of cars/vans/articulated lorries on that stretch of road [I know this from personal experience]. The only time that road has been safe for cyclists is when there was [covid times] a cycle lane that was blocked off so that it was physically impossible for motorists to go near the cyclists.

Had that remained in place, the cyclist in this incident would have remained unharmed regardless of any of the circumstances that took place- the accident would not have happened.

Yes but to do that, a perfectly legal access road leading to a specific location would have to be closed to vehicles.

Thus the point is,  unless we are going to close every single potential Junction where cyclist might crossover ( which is simply ridiculous) - this very same type of accident could have happened in a million other locations just as easily.

A child of 5 can understand there has to be some compromise and there will always be some occasion when cyclists and other traffic are alongside each other.  That comes with risk which is a simple part of life.

Notwithstanding all this endless tit-for-tat argument, nobody has still proven categorically that the truck was at fault.  Whose to say the injured cyclist wasn't to blame.

Edited by ECCOnoob

8 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Regrettably it is impossible to legislate for every conceivable possibility and it emails someone’s pipe dream to provide dedicated cyclist commuter routes at the cost of blocking motorised traffic.

Why should motorised commuters should be prioritised over bicycle commuters? 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Why should bicycle commuters?

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Are you seriously asking this question?

14 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes but to do that, a perfectly legal access road leading to a specific location would have to be closed to vehicles.

Thus the point is,  unless we are going to close every single potential Junction where cyclist might crossover ( which is simply ridiculous) - this very same type of accident could have happened in a million other locations just as easily.

A child of 5 can understand there has to be some compromise and there will always be some occasion when cyclists and other traffic are alongside each other.  That comes with risk which is a simple part of life.

Notwithstanding all this endless tit-for-tat argument, nobody has still proven categorically that the truck was at fault.  Whose to say the injured cyclist wasn't to blame.

Hmmm... :huh:

Who is this 5 year old, and is there any chance you can get them to post some sense on this thread? :hihi:

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Are you seriously asking this question?

Of course. Why is my commute in the car any more important than your commute on your bike?  Am I more important than you just because I'm in my car?

A suitably serious response would be appreciated. 

So you are asking why the road network is set up for cars and lorries and buses, rather than cyclists? Just to clarify your question here.

If so, then boy thats got me stumped, I cant think for a minute why thats the case 🤪

Edited by HeHasRisen

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So you are asking why the road network is set up for cars and lorries and buses, rather than cyclists? Just to clarify your question here.

If so, then boy thats got me stumped, I cant think for a minute why thats the case 🤪

You seem to be struggling for an answer but I'll wait in the hope that you've got a good one.  :)  

The question was: Why should motorised commuters should be prioritised over bicycle commuters? 

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Of course. Why is my commute in the car any more important than your commute on your bike?  Am I more important than you just because I'm in my car?

A suitably serious response would be appreciated. 

You first.  

Come on. Money where your mouth is, since you starting beating this old drum and clearly making wild assumptions about some tragic accident to further your obvious agenda.

It's been pointed out that clearly it is not possible to avoid every single potential risk of a cyclist crossing a live traffic junction and potentially coming into collision with another vehicle. It is clearly not feasible to apply completely segregated cycling infrastructure across every single part of the road network. It is clearly obvious that there has to be some compromise on the roads which are used by both cyclists and other vehicles.

So go on, give some good reasons as to why exactly cyclists should have priority over other road users.  Why should motorised vehicles be subjected to a seemingly increasing number of heavy restrictions, partial or entire road closures, detours, road narrowing or other such measures which obviously cause significant inconvenience just for the benefit of cyclists. 

Why should they get the preferential treatment?

"I can't believe there isn't a special cycle lane on the M1 motorway"