Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Based on...?

Based on that left turn not being possible.

Here's a picture of the LibDem leader calling for the cycle lane to be removed. The sign just over his right shoulder is where, well, it doesn't need saying. :( 

Ef7EWF-UMAAjH1g?format=jpg&name=medium

Personally I'm glad the cycle lane was removed. It should never have been put there in the first place. 

50 minutes ago, Tony said:

Here's a picture of the LibDem leader calling for the cycle lane to be removed. The sign just over his right shoulder is where, well, it doesn't need saying. :( 

Yes it does need saying because no one has a clue what the hell you are going on about.

You are not seriously suggesting that we should suddenly close all junctions and all roads just in case a cyclist happens to have an accident when a different vehicle happens to turn into it. 

It's an accident. It could have been the cyclist's fault.   It could be the truck's fault. It could have even been both.

For god sake stop with a speculation and dramatics.

Someone choosing to wibble and wobble along a live carriageway has an element of risk. Stuff happens. No matter how good and how separate the cycling infrastructure there will always be some point when a bike meets vehicles. Junctions have to exist. As others have said, the cement truck was not turning left on some whimsy. They needed access to that particular location. A similar just as tragic accident could happen anywhere else tomorrow and the week after and the week after that.

On 22/09/2021 at 14:46, alchemist said:

Is the claim being made that if the restrictions were still in place then the cement truck would NOT have been turning left?  I am assuming that it was turning left for a reason not just for the heck of it?

10 hours ago, Tony said:

Yea, I'll make that claim. 

10 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Based on...?

10 hours ago, Tony said:

Based on that left turn not being possible.

Now come on @ECCOnoob your SF memory is long enough not to try to shift the discussion to something more convenient to your opinion when you're talking to me. 

That cyclist would not be in hospital if that cycle lane was still in place. There is no debate to be had about it and there are photos above in evidence. 

If your or my car journey takes a couple of minutes longer so that other people can travel safely, so be it. We need to suck it up instead of caring so little that we're okay with people going under the wheels of trucks so we don't have to spend an extra second in our air conditioned motorised box. 

What will it take for you and others to find your empathy and sense of proportion? Would your son / daughter losing their legs under a tipper truck do it?

Edited by Tony

So in conclusion Tony, you want every road to have a cycle lane? You know as well as I do this aint happening.

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

Now come on @ECCOnoob your SF memory is long enough not to try to shift the discussion to something more convenient to your opinion when you're talking to me. 

That cyclist would not be in hospital if that cycle lane was still in place. There is no debate to be had about it and there are photos above in evidence. 

If your or my car journey takes a couple of minutes longer so that other people can travel safely, so be it. We need to suck it up instead of caring so little that we're okay with people going under the wheels of trucks so we don't have to spend an extra second in our air conditioned motorised box. 

What will it take for you and others to find your empathy and sense of proportion? Would your son / daughter losing their legs under a tipper truck do it?

Oh dear... :(

... even more rubbish posted for effect and to wind a few people up.

So where do we draw the line?

If the unfortunate cyclist had instead decided to use public transport (or even [shudder...shudder] ... a car) then it's also unlikely that they would now be in hospital.

The standard of trolling on here really is getting quite pitiful...

... we deserve much better! :roll:

The cycle lane in the photo is the worst kind of cycle infrastructure there is as it promotes close passing vehicles as cars take it that they can drive past in the lane. This is massively dangerous and puts people off using their bicycles. Whoever thought this type of lane was a good idea and those implementing it should be shot.

10 hours ago, Tony said:

Here is the junction on Google

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3876378,-1.4752092,3a,75y,316.39h,72.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYGi5p2CnWb0l_2z7hJNtMw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

To me that looks like a perfectly acceptable and legitimate left turn.  Are you saying that under the restrictions that that left turn would no longer have been available?

Come along now @HeHasRisen how about you reply to the words on the screen instead of the ones you heard in your head. This ain't the Oxford Union but if you want to have a debate you need to have it with the other person, not yourself.  :)

You too @MrBloke

@alchemist look again. There was no left turn.

Edited by Tony

Just now, alchemist said:

Here is the junction on Google

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3876378,-1.4752092,3a,75y,316.39h,72.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYGi5p2CnWb0l_2z7hJNtMw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e1

To me that looks like a perfectly acceptable and legitimate left turn.  Are you saying that under the restrictions that that left turn would no longer have been available?

Think what he is saying is that under the restrictions the lorry would have been in the right hand lane, not the left, and wouldnt have ploughed into the cyclist.

Although I would still like to know the facts of the case first before passing judgement.  It may well be the cyclist just sauntered into the road without looking. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Come along now @HeHasRisen how about you reply to the words on the screen instead of the ones you heard in your head. This ain't the Oxford Union but if you want to have a debate you need to have it with the other person, not yourself.  :)

You too @MrBloke

@alchemist look again. There is no left turn.

Are we talking different roads here?  I am looking at the one that closest fits that picture.  Which road was the truck going into?