Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

Just come back from visiting my Mother. Only had to stop at 2 sets of traffic lights on the way in (from Pennistone Rd up to Brook Hill Roundabout. On the way back it was nice to see not only the traffic moving freely through Shalesmoor but not to  get caught up in the traffic jam that was happening 1/2 way up Netherthorpe Rd when the dreaded attack of the red and white cones were in place on my last visit.

Keep safe.

Keep moving.

And no apparent adverse effect on cyclists.

I travelled in both directions today and still saw just the one cyclist on the pavement.

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

And no apparent adverse effect on cyclists.

I travelled in both directions today and still saw just the one cyclist on the pavement.

Is it better that cyclists ride on the pavement where they are probably safer but are presenting themselves as a danger to all pedestrians particularly the young, elderly and less able.

OR

Should they be allowed to play on the roads where they mainly present a danger to themselves and of course the insurance no claims bonuses of qualified road users.

What about the progress of the cycle lane from the wiicker to rotherham.  and of course has anyone ever been seen to use it for its entire length?

43 minutes ago, MarcyC said:

Is it better that cyclists ride on the pavement where they are probably safer but are presenting themselves as a danger to all pedestrians particularly the young, elderly and less able.

OR

Should they be allowed to play on the roads where they mainly present a danger to themselves and of course the insurance no claims bonuses of qualified road users.

What about the progress of the cycle lane from the wiicker to rotherham.  and of course has anyone ever been seen to use it for its entire length?

Mine was just a light hearted comment referring to the rare sighting of cyclists along this route.

To be honest the pavements are wide and few pedestrians so the one cyclist that I saw was not a problem.

As I have said many times previously,the vast majority of cyclists do so as a leisure pursuit and for exercise.

I see many individuals and groups heading up and down Loxley Road and Rivelin Valley in the evenings and weekends.

They are apparently perfectly happy to share the roads with motorists as they should be.

To my mind the whole question of cycle lanes is based on very questionable reasoning.

Anyone know when other areas are being removed, I assume it would be everywhere but attercliffe road still has lanes closed 

What a strange post.

Nobody is happy about a RTA but how did it happen.

Left hooked by a cement mixer I heard. These are real life consequences of the bad decision to remove the protected lane and rely on magic paint instead. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Left hooked by a cement mixer I heard. These are real life consequences of the bad decision to remove the protected lane and rely on magic paint instead. 

Who was found liable? What exactly were the circumstances of the accident? What was the visibility?  What was the speed?

Let's get some facts before making wild assumptions to clearly further some agenda.  Cyclists have just as much as possibility for their OWN welfare as any other road users.

Is the claim being made that if the restrictions were still in place then the cement truck would NOT have been turning left?  I am assuming that it was turning left for a reason not just for the heck of it?

On 22/09/2021 at 14:46, alchemist said:

Is the claim being made that if the restrictions were still in place then the cement truck would NOT have been turning left?  

Yea, I'll make that claim. 

8 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yea, I'll make that claim. 

Based on...?