Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

I have to say I used to use derek Dooley way quite often, it was put in to relieve city centre congestion and stop people using "rat runs" in and out of the city.

traffic was quite terrible but passable, then SCC decided to slightly widen the road causing chaos for around 2 years.

fast forward a few months after road widening and SCC close off a whole lane for cyclists.

now forget all the usual arguments road tax etc, let's speak in logical terms of road users. 

Along the derek Dooley way on average there are around 1,000 vehicles per hour including cars, vans, lorries, buses and most importantly emergency vehicles.

now I can't say for sure but on what I personally have seen not only going through that debacle but sat in traffic for however long, I have seen maybe 1 bicycle per hour, mostly on the pavements and a lot whipping through kelham.

no surely even the most frothing cyclist must see the logic of have more room for A. Higher volume road users and more importantly especially through that area, it being a major approach to many of the 5 hospitals on or around western bank area, and because of the now single file traffic and cycle lane totally blocked off, means emergency vehicles including blue light ambulances in many instances are held up because traffic has no where to go.

this needs removing and putting back to twin lane traffic asap. Or risk having people, cycles included running through surrounding side roads and causing more havoc.

4 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Make the most of cyclist spotting, it comes up this weekend doesn't it ?

There were signs up today saying the temp lanes were being removed from today and delays were possible. Probably not much worse than the lanes caused in the first place.

On my way to pick up the car from the garage this afternoon I saw two cyclists. Traffic was nose to tail and moving slowly in both directions. Took twice as long to drive back as it normally would.

On 28/08/2020 at 17:32, MunXy said:

I have to say I used to use derek Dooley way quite often, it was put in to relieve city centre congestion and stop people using "rat runs" in and out of the city.

traffic was quite terrible but passable, then SCC decided to slightly widen the road causing chaos for around 2 years.

fast forward a few months after road widening and SCC close off a whole lane for cyclists.

now forget all the usual arguments road tax etc, let's speak in logical terms of road users. 

Along the derek Dooley way on average there are around 1,000 vehicles per hour including cars, vans, lorries, buses and most importantly emergency vehicles.

now I can't say for sure but on what I personally have seen not only going through that debacle but sat in traffic for however long, I have seen maybe 1 bicycle per hour, mostly on the pavements and a lot whipping through kelham.

no surely even the most frothing cyclist must see the logic of have more room for A. Higher volume road users and more importantly especially through that area, it being a major approach to many of the 5 hospitals on or around western bank area, and because of the now single file traffic and cycle lane totally blocked off, means emergency vehicles including blue light ambulances in many instances are held up because traffic has no where to go.

this needs removing and putting back to twin lane traffic asap. Or risk having people, cycles included running through surrounding side roads and causing more havoc.

Hey!!!  Dont come in hear talking sense!!!

Cycle lane gone - yippee! At least they listened to people's opinions! How much it has all cost is another matter - to say nothing of the inconvenience to thousands of motorists.

On 06/07/2020 at 13:47, Blue Day said:

Come on, own up, who’s stupid idea was it?

Remove a car lane both ways to install a cycle lane, even though there’s already a cycle lane there?

Draw your own conclusions

SCC spent a fortune over months widening roads and now are  spending a load more money to narrow them down again, both causing frustration to road users.  

It would seem it is the role of the council to both waste money and inconvenience the drivers of motor vehicles when ever possible.

This recent apparently little needed, if at all, work on cyle lanes in varios parts of the city is an opportunity to do both the above at once it would seem.

24 minutes ago, MarcyC said:

Draw your own conclusions

SCC spent a fortune over months widening roads and now are  spending a load more money to narrow them down again, both causing frustration to road users.  

It would seem it is the role of the council to both waste money and inconvenience the drivers of motor vehicles when ever possible.

This recent apparently little needed, if at all, work on cyle lanes in varios parts of the city is an opportunity to do both the above at once it would seem.

yes but you have to admit that this one is prize winning -  add in a cycle lane when there is little traffic but still manage to increase pollution from the cars now stuck in jams as a result and then get rid of the cycle lane when car trafic returns towards normal

It is indeed an exemplar if money wasting ineptitude is what you're after

On 01/09/2020 at 10:03, Bigal1 said:

yes but you have to admit that this one is prize winning -  add in a cycle lane when there is little traffic but still manage to increase pollution from the cars now stuck in jams as a result and then get rid of the cycle lane when car trafic returns towards normal

13 hours ago, darylslinn said:

The road surface is a right mess now though.

Looked fine to me last night

14 hours ago, darylslinn said:

The road surface is a right mess now though.

Cycle lane markings still visible in places, but the road has been returned for vehicle use in a timely fashion,so that will do for me.

Edited by RJRB

10 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Cycle lane markings still visible in places, but the road has been returned for vehicle use in a timely fashion,so that will do for me.

Great, common sense prevails (possibly a term never heard in Sheffield Council chambers).  I was dreading my return to work in the future as I use Shalesmoor daily.

2 hours ago, Lancs_Lad said:

Great, common sense prevails (possibly a term never heard in Sheffield Council chambers).  I was dreading my return to work in the future as I use Shalesmoor daily.

pity it was not applied earlier