Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

3 minutes ago, stifflersmom said:

Well yes, there's this thread for starters, but I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. As I said though, even if you do know about it,  the signage is woeful, and the benefits  ( to anyone) are hard to see. It smacks of accepting Government funding for fear of missing out, either now or in the future.

There was,  apparently, also coverage on local and national news media - although as I have been ignoring 'news' programmes &c during the current situation, I was not aware of that.

There is no benefit to anyone, but it was exactly as you describe - just to grab funding 'because it was there', with little or no thought as to how best deploy it - typical council 'planning'.

10 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

So its to be removed at the end of August.   What a waste of time and money.

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/cycle-lane-trial-ends/

Get those April bought bicycles on Ebay or those who are sticking it out for the long run, return to normal activities.... cycling on the pavements endangering the pedestrians. 

Edited by Baron99

Guest busdriver1
9 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

So its to be removed at the end of August.   What a waste of time and money.

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/cycle-lane-trial-ends/

The standard reply is imminent. It wasn't our money we spent it was government money. That's ok isn't it? Oh hang on where do the government get their money from? is it us?

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Get those April bought bicycles on Ebay or those who are sticking it out for the long run, return to normal activities.... cycling on the pavements endangering the pedestrians. 

I don’t think that this initiative created a surge in cycle purchases,and the few extra purchases will get parked up in the garage,like many others for occasional use.

The committed cyclists,both leisure and commuters will continue to use the convenient highways and by ways that take them where they want to go,and not where the planners would like them to go.

Edited by RJRB

I'm just loving how the SCC spin department are trying to to portray in their announcement that this was some kind of scheduled end to a planned trial.    

They wouldn't dare tell the truth that it was in fact a climb down after the introduction of this incompetent, ill judged, poorly executed steaming pile of horse manure which was nothing more than some rushed into desperate money grab. 

Whoever is in charge of so call planning in that monkey cage they call the town hall really should have their head roll for this but I bet they won't.   

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Imagine if pedestrians were able to look up from their phone!

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

I'm just loving how the SCC spin department are trying to to portray in their announcement that this was some kind of scheduled end to a planned trial.    

They wouldn't dare tell the truth that it was in fact a climb down after the introduction of this incompetent, ill judged, poorly executed steaming pile of horse manure which was nothing more than some rushed into desperate money grab. 

Whoever is in charge of so call planning in that monkey cage they call the town hall really should have their head roll for this but I bet they won't.   

I think that they did say pretty early on that it would be reviewed in September,but in truth they would have gained more credit by acknowledging it was one big mistake and pulling stumps much earlier.That certainly was to avoid an obvious climb down.

For those who think that this was an anti cycling campaign it is noticeable that a similar scheme towards Attercliffe is not causing the same uproar.

Why? Because it is not causing the same disruption.

Its still barely used by cyclists,and barely runs for a few hundred metres so let’s see  how that trial goes.

The explanation for removing it is laughable. However the appalling waste of taxpayer's ie our money is far from funny, it's a disgrace

6 hours ago, soopah said:

Imagine if pedestrians were able to look up from their phone!

Why?   What damage is one pedestrian looking at their mobile going to do to another pedestrian on a pavement?  A gentle nudge?  Pedestrians are perfectly safe on pavements as long as those not legally entitled to be on them, stay off them. 

Tired arguments like this do make me chuckle.  "I'm a cyclist, I don't feel safe or capable of riding a bicycle on the designated carriageway, (or abiding by the Highway Code, traffic lights, etc, etc), as motorists will potentially be endangering my life, so I ride on pavements."

I'll endanger pedestrians & blame them for any accident by saying they were meandering on the pavement, looking at their mobile, while I whizz past / weave in & out of them at 20 odd mph, rather obey the rule of dismounting from your bike when on a pavement. 

You couldn't make it up.  Priceless! 

From the cost of the project stated on here many pages ago & also the comments of the in frequency of cyclists using the route, it must average out to about £10k per cyclist?  Of course its also cost much more in vehicles standing / slow moving traffic, burning petrol & an undetermined cost in to the environment in additional pollution in that area? 

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, NewBiz said:

The explanation for removing it is laughable. However the appalling waste of taxpayer's ie our money is far from funny, it's a disgrace

Agreed, there should be a public enquiry.

10 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

The standard reply is imminent. It wasn't our money we spent it was government money. That's ok isn't it? Oh hang on where do the government get their money from? is it us?

Lol I was just thinking the exact same!