Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

You’ve failed to understand the basic concept of the Government funding source. To put in temporary measures. That’s the whole idea.

The basic concept of Grant Shapps many faceted document is itself based on some very questionable premises following basically quieter roads,less accessible public transport,more people with free time to exercise at the height of the Covid lockdown.

So the rush was to capitalise on these factors before any return to normality,and the Shalesmoor experiment represents what can happen with knee jerk reactions.

This Government is developing a reputation for U turns as a result of hasty decisions.

43 minutes ago, RJRB said:

This Government is developing a reputation for U turns as a result of hasty decisions.

There certainly haven't been any U turns on funding active travel modes.

The Government know very well that in order to meet their policy aims, they need to bring about a very substantial mode shift away from car use. The emergency active travel fund is just a small part of the overall package , see: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-billion-package-to-create-new-era-for-cycling-and-walking

Policy aims are a political necessity.

Some are achieved wholly or partially or disappear into the mists of time.

Some are created  or rapidly abandoned through appraisal or re appraisal.

Shalesmoor is such a scheme and despite your assertions that some don’t like it and some do,I would assert that the majority,including some cyclists and non motorists think it has been a complete waste predicated on a mistaken interpretation of needs.

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Maybe it's all a cunning plan by central government? 

The next time SCC start pleading poverty & run to the Govt for extra cash for something, central Govt might say, think back to tne summer of 2020? 

We gave you X millions but you appear to have wasted it all by playing cycle path hoaky-koaky, putting one in, taking one out while at the same time, managing the impossible by alienating tens of thousands of your citizens by slowing down traffic on a a major arterial road, (including holding up some of the emergency services), where you spent millions previously to improve traffic flow & which was only completed the previous year after many months of disruption. 

Well done SCC & no you can't have any more money!  We've heard murmurings about allotments to be placed on the Parkway?

My bold, but that sums it up nicely. You couldn't make it up

On 15/08/2020 at 19:22, _lecro_ said:

Another day on Netherthorpe road... i wonder what could be causing such mayhem !

About 20 seconds later a motorbike with two helmetless muppets on came flying off the roundabout and staight down the middle with jam sandwich in hot pursuit ,

pursuit which lasted about 3 seconds when they saw the jam (pun intended)!

Blues and twos went off and they just sat in it with the rest of us .

Atleast a few push irons got a nice ride home 🤔

6dDDNBZ.jpg

Looks quieter than a normal day pre-covid.  What's the problem.

People on the left more likely to be heading on to Penistone Road and those in the right towards Shalesmoor, looking reasonably clear there.

But hey! Lets not let facts get in the way of your rhetoric!

@Michael_NA real classic - and a fantastic advert for an 'intelligent' cyclist!🤣

5 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Michael_NA real classic - and a fantastic advert for an 'intelligent' cyclist!🤣

I suppose at least he stopped at a red light! 🤣

Which, had he been using the cycle lane, he could have ignored.🤣

Depending where you join the road, it isn't clear that it is a cycle lane, and the barriers give the impression it is closed off...particularly as these barriers have been associated with long running roadworks elsewhere on this road. I knew about the changes to layout there, joined by bike from Corporation St and there aren't any signs to indicate it is an open lane. The whole thing is a complete shambles. Something similar happened in Newcastle, but was removed after a couple if days. This scheme doesn't appear to benefit anyone, unless the objective is to remove capacity and lower induced demand.

I think there has been plenty of notification about this on local media - including here.

I'm not a cyclist, or anyone who needs to go in that area, but I'm well aware of it.

18 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I think there has been plenty of notification about this on local media - including here.

I'm not a cyclist, or anyone who needs to go in that area, but I'm well aware of it.

Well yes, there's this thread for starters, but I wouldn't have known about it otherwise. As I said though, even if you do know about it,  the signage is woeful, and the benefits  ( to anyone) are hard to see. It smacks of accepting Government funding for fear of missing out, either now or in the future.