Sheff Council - Shalesmoor Road Layout

An open question to cyclists....

If you are coming into Sheffield City Centre from or via the Hillsborough area and down Penistone Road, which way do you normally go from the Shalesmoor roundabout to get to say the Town Hall or Cathedral ?

10 hours ago, darylslinn said:

An open question to cyclists....

If you are coming into Sheffield City Centre from or via the Hillsborough area and down Penistone Road, which way do you normally go from the Shalesmoor roundabout to get to say the Town Hall or Cathedral ?

I go from the roundabout continue along A61, turn right on to Gibraltar Street to West bar, then up Paradise St to Campo Lane.

From Hillsborough I go either along the Penistone Road cycle track, through Kelham, and across the lights to Bridge Street/across the crossing to  Allen Street and onto Gibraltar to West Bar, or I go along Langsett, over to Meadow Street and across the lights to Scotland Street. I wouldn't use the ring road to get to town. My preferred routes are much quieter. 

Although only two cyclists have replied to my question and from what people have seen around the area, it does appear that the scheme has been ill thought out and badly implemented.

Have the council actually spoken to cyclists asking them what routes they would like making safer or even done a survey of the areas that they think cyclists should use ?

8 hours ago, darylslinn said:

Although only two cyclists have replied to my question and from what people have seen around the area, it does appear that the scheme has been ill thought out and badly implemented.

Have the council actually spoken to cyclists asking them what routes they would like making safer or even done a survey of the areas that they think cyclists should use ?

In answer to your question, @darylslinn, I'm guessing the answer is a resounding 'NO'.

10 hours ago, darylslinn said:

How is it "badly implemented?"

Regarding surveys and questionnaires, I think you are perhaps forgetting about the context of the government scheme and funding, which is an "emergency" measure, which meant the scheme at Shalesmoor had to be put in within a handfull of weeks of the funding scheme being announced. That didn't give any time for questionnaires or surveys. The Council speak to cycling groups like Cycle Sheffield and understand what their priorities are. 

I drove along Shalesmoor yesterday afternoon and noticed a cyclist riding in the lane designated for cars followed by a combine harvester which had to have one set of tracks on the centre reservation to avoid colliding with the red and white barriers. This is just an observation, I'm not looking for an argument one way or the other.

I went through this the other day and somehow got onto tram lines (in car) tried to back up with tram hooting at me

then went fprward to try to get out of way.  Quite frightening.  I am a cyclist but think this scheme is ridiculous

3 hours ago, Planner1 said:

How is it "badly implemented?"

Regarding surveys and questionnaires, I think you are perhaps forgetting about the context of the government scheme and funding, which is an "emergency" measure, which meant the scheme at Shalesmoor had to be put in within a handfull of weeks of the funding scheme being announced. That didn't give any time for questionnaires or surveys. The Council speak to cycling groups like Cycle Sheffield and understand what their priorities are. 

An emergency measure in what respect.

What emergency is the scheme addressing.

It was obviously rushed through to get hold of the money on offer regardless of how useful it would be to cyclists(negligible) and how detrimental it would be to the new traffic system towards the Parkway.

As I have said before there is a total myth about the increased use of cycles in that the majority of the increase is from those who wish to increase their exercise.

Many will be car owners themselves and cycling is mainly a leisure pursuit.

7 minutes ago, RJRB said:

You know very well what situation the scheme is addressing, it’s been discussed on this thread

43 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

You know very well what situation the scheme is addressing, it’s been discussed on this thread

I know what the scheme is supposedly addressing,but please explain the emergency.

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

It was obviously rushed through to get hold of the money on offer regardless of how useful it would be to cyclists(negligible) and how detrimental it would be to the new traffic system towards the Parkway.

As I have said before there is a total myth about the increased use of cycles in that the majority of the increase is from those who wish to increase their exercise.

Many will be car owners themselves and cycling is mainly a leisure pursuit.

It would not be unreasonable to suggest that lack of significant uptake is related to a lack of significant improvement in safe routes. Any route which is just paint on a road is not a safe route.